Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life Reviews

½ November 27, 2015
This charming biopic about Serge Gainsbourg is definitely not special, and I really don't know what is so heroic about him, but it is a delight to see how he wrote some of his songs and met the women of his life, in a surreal and stylish depiction of part of his existence.
½ June 1, 2015
I LOVE Gainsbourg and bought many of his CDs in vinyl in my youth. However, this movie makes me hate him. So disappointed to see him like this. Gross.
½ April 26, 2015
60s paris in a poetic & surrealistic way.
March 29, 2015
un résumé de la vie de Gainsbourg sans dates pour repère.
des marionnettes grandeurs nature.
January 1, 2015
If you know nothing about Serge Gainsbourg, this film may serve to be a fine starting point. It's quite surprising to see Claude Chabrol in it.
½ May 29, 2014
it pays homage to France's raunchiest prince of pop --but behind the narcissism, self-indulgent behavior, and litrally the smokes and a swarm of adulating lovers is a talented soul who spent his life fighting to be more than just ordinary, to break out of the Juif mode. Eric Elmosnin has an uncanny resemblance to Gainsbourg and its really quite admirably done. Gainsbarre
December 25, 2013
A beautiful biopic of one of music's most colourful characters.
October 19, 2013
Very surrealistic, loved the fantasy characters, but not very biographical.
October 12, 2013
a true masterpiece... Definitely a must-see movie... we need to praise the director for his delivery. btw, Serge Gainsbourg is one of the greatest...
½ October 5, 2013
It was good but I felt it breezed over too much of his life. It never stayed in one part too long. I would have liked it more if they just focused on one one section or just made the movie longer. The actor Eric Elmonsino really did look a lot like Serge Gainsbourg though.
July 19, 2013
Hurrah....at last a film I want to see....yay
Harlequin68
½ July 4, 2013
Before there was a Serge Gainsbourg(Eric Elmosnino), there was a Lucien Ginsburg(Kacey Mottet Klein), who as a child during the Nazi occupation of France, shows up early to get his yellow star. Otherwise, his musician father(Razvan Vasilescu) wants him to follow in his footsteps but young Lucien has other ideas that involve an interest in painting, especially after an early encounter with a nude model(Ophelia Kolb). As an adult, he is still studying art, at least until he meets Juliette Greco(Anna Mouglalis), Dali's mistress, as his mind goes back to music where the money is.

As much as the spirited and sexy biopic "Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life" assumes the audience already knows about the work of the legendary composer and musician, it does not hurt the movie as it takes more of a psychological and expressionistic view, starting with the cool animated opening titles, as Gainsbourg is advised by his walking id(Doug Jones,) who also interacts with other characters, well into adulthood. That's when he gets to live the life he always dreamed of as a child with a panoply of beautiful women, and smoking cigarettes that make him look cool and which will also be the end of him. But if he could also make great songs like 'Bonnie and Clyde' with Brigitte Bardot(Laetitia Casta), I'm more than willing to look the other way.
½ June 30, 2013
Although GAINSBOURG tries very hard not to be a standard biopic, it totally is despite the presence of a really annoying "puppet" which is actually a man in a bad suit that looks like a stereotype of a Jewish rodent (this is intentional since the film purports to deal with the anti-semitism that Gainsbourg dealt with). The film is exactly like any Hollywood bio pic but unfortunately, they use little of Gainsbourg's actual music--so what is the point? They took this cantankerous fellow and examined nothing of his life or why is sometimes banal pop ditties are important. I actually love his music but the film never explores anything--not even the obvious, how did this ugly fellow get all those chicks! A few super things--Laetitia Casta, who plays Brigitte Bardot, is wonderful and never imitates but totally captures Bardot, Gainsbourg had a happy childhood with terrific parents, the hair and costumes from the 60s and 70s never look ridiculous like they usually do.
½ March 17, 2013
Arty, shot like a dream at times, flits between modern day and childhood. OK but not great. Forgettable.
½ February 24, 2013
Always nice to know the biography of the most charismatic french composer of all time. The movie is like his music, surprising at first but in the long run is a little boring. A small plus for the good performances, and some fantasy moments.
½ February 15, 2013
A recommended biography of Serge Gainsbourg!
January 4, 2013
Un petit bijou inattendu!
December 20, 2012
I really liked this movie's interpretation of the life of French pop star Serge Gainsbourg. The actor Eric Elmosnino looked almost exactly like Serge Gainsbourg. It was uncanny. Getting to know a little more about this French icon was intriguing and the usage of illustration/dream sequences really helped to break up the action at the most appropriate times. I highly recommend this film if you're looking for a good biopic, or French drama.
½ December 16, 2012
Should have been a classic but for me only slightly better than average