Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life Reviews

November 26, 2012
good bio-pic about one of the 60's great composers
October 14, 2012
I really liked the overall chronologic "flow" and style of the story, but many pieces of Gainsbourg's life were either glossed over or just thrown in there without introduction. However, the presentation does paint Gainsbourg as more of a "bohemian" and if events adhered more rigidly to the chronology of his life, I think that bohemian effect would be lost along with a part of the movie's magic.
October 14, 2012
Fun, fantastical and entertaining.
September 22, 2012
acteur extraordinaire, une belle biographie d'un des plus grands gťnies de la chanson franÁaise
½ September 9, 2012
I enjoyed the film, I found it interesting but I don't understand the title. Has he saved anyone in his life ? Why is his life heroic ? DId he save himself from his inner demons ?
½ September 1, 2012
As a fan of his, I was excited about this movie.Sadly this movie did not live up to my expectations. The movie has a very interesting idea of showing his alter-ego have conversations with him, but besides that fact, thats really the most interesting thing about this movie.Every scene in this movie feels thin and extremely brief, which is a shame because they picked the perfect cast and they get the job done well. What this movie boils down to is a poor summary to his extremely interesting life. This movie is not awful by any means, but it could have been so much better.
August 25, 2012
Bueno he visto muchas peliculas y nunca habia tenido q ver algo como esto. Roza lo genial y es como un sue√Īo caotico q muestra la "vida" y obra de este tipo q supo ser un maestro en lo q a musica concierne.. impopular, polemico y con un excelente gusto por la mujeres.. la peli te propone con su estetica y con su contenido meterte un viaje pleno XD
½ August 7, 2012
It didn't take me long to get bored.
July 31, 2012
Mildly interesting biopic on a French singer-songwriter who was apparently famous (probably only in France). More energetic and original than most biopics, it overdoes the imagery. The monster that flits in and out of scenes, representing Gainsbourg's dark side, I guess, is irritating from its first appearance and gets more irritating the more it appears.

Cutting out the imagery and some of the more unnecessary scenes would have created a tight, fast-paced, and much more interesting movie. The ending was rather abrupt and unsatisfying too.

Great performance by Eric Elmosnino in the lead role. Like Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean, I think he modeled his performance on Keith Richards' mannerisms. Good support from a cast which includes Laetitia Casta (as Brigette Bardot) and Lucy Gordon.
½ July 28, 2012
Effective biopic of Serge Gainsbourg done in typical Gallic style totally different from the bland formulaic Hollywood biopics of American artists. Reminiscent of Pan's Labyrinth.
July 20, 2012
...before seeing it there seems to be a distraction with the title.
...Gainsbourg: A Life....... would have done. If the conclusion is that his life was 'heroic'...let it occur to the audience itself. They may conclude 'poetic' or 'sensuelle'. I dont need to feel Gainsbourg to have been heroic to keep affection for him, his story...or his disoluteness
July 20, 2012
Here is the story of Gainsbourg. Always nice to know his biography. The movie is like his music, surprising at first but in the long run is a little boring. A small plus for the good performances, and some fantasy moments.
½ July 2, 2012
Though peppered with holes and verging on the chaotic, Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life is a supremely imaginative and well-acted production, which probably stands better as an individual film exploring the traits of an enigmatic musical legend rather than a linear biopic. It spans his whole life, and, sure, is very well-researched, but often it seems that the film's focus is centred more on his artistic visions and divisive soul than his actual biography - which, considering we have Wikipedia and countless amounts of internet sources where we can build up our knowledge on his life, is actually a pretty good, and certainly refreshing, thing.
June 16, 2012
Amazing, borderline surrealistic depiction of the man who never strayed from the edge... Definitely a must see despite its lack of transitions.
½ June 4, 2012
Je t'aime...Moi non plus
May 29, 2012
It is not a good sign if you have to force yourself to even skip through a movie. This is such a movie. I laud the artistic courage, and the convincing acting (mostly), but it's just hard to sit through unless you are a die-hard connoisseur of French culture... a few minutes of Laetitia Casta make up for a lot of bad filmmaking but don't make up for the whole weird movie.... which is a shame really
May 15, 2012
A good biography film about a life of singer Serge Gainsbourg, from growing up in 1940s Nazi-occupied Paris through his successful song-writing years in the 1960s to his death in 1991 at the age of 62.
½ May 7, 2012
Brilliant comic book artist Joann Sfar made his directorial debut with Gainsbourg, an adaptation of his own graphic novel about Serge Gainsbourg, the legendary and ever-controversial musician, director and artist. Sfar tackles the life of a legend boldly, imprinting every scene with delicate visuals and driving the piece forward with music and enchanting moments of magical realism.

As a whole the movie is extremely unfocused and difficult to make heads or tails out of. It doesn‚(TM)t emerge as a traditional biography, nor does it attain the general attributes of what might be considered a story. Nevertheless ‚Gainsbourg‚? is easy and pleasant to watch and it carries intense impressions and speculation on what it might have been like to experience the world the way Gainsbourg did.
½ April 26, 2012
Gainsbourg life as dreamed up by Joann Star. Most likely not accurate but it does feel like it captures the character of the singer-songwriter. Made me want to listen to his songs again.
April 12, 2012
I have to admit, I haven‚(TM)t really listened to any songs of Serge Gainsbourg, and knew nothing of him, so I didn‚(TM)t know what to expect. I thought it would also be a very basic biopic, very normalised. Instead, it created a world similar to the graphic novel it was based on, with a big giant walking head as an invisible character to Serge, as well as a Serge-esque character with long fingers and a huge nose, both characters tying into the mind frame of the character.

From what I know (granted not much), the actors got the style of their real life characters correctly, and each character felt rich and realistic, not an easy act to commit in such a film, so hats off to the actors themselves. The plot streamlines a lot of Gainsbourg‚(TM)s life but does it in a believable and workable way. The style of the film is almost dream-esque at times, but works really well, and despite it not being my type of film, I‚(TM)d actually watch it again, which is a big compliment.