Gambit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gambit Reviews

½ July 19, 2017
Gambit is a film about a thief who is planning a heist to steal a priceless artifact from the richest man in the world. In order to stake out his target, the thief requires the assistance of a woman who will grab the rich man's attention. The scheme has lots of fun twists and turns that I thought kept the excitement level high. All the way to the end I was still surprised a few times which is always a treat.

What makes Gambit truly special is the unique way it starts the story. I don't want to give it away, but let's just say I adored it. It might be one of the most brilliant ideas I've ever seen in a film. I was watching and trying to figure out what was happening and then the revelation came and I had a big "ah ha" moment. The entire film, from that point on, relies on what was set up in the first scene.

Gambit is also extremely funny. The way the plot is constructed leads to so much comedy. I didn't see it coming at first, but once the humor got started I was laughing out loud a lot. The interplay between Caine and MacLaine is delightful. They both fit their roles quite well. I also loved seeing Herbert Lom in something other than a Pink Panther movie. He always adds some comedy with just his evil expressions.

If I were to make any complaints about Gambit it would be that there are moments where it felt like tension was supposed to be building and I didn't sense any rising pressure. There were some times, particularly in the climax where I should have been worried that the thieves would be caught, but I never felt that was a real chance. Aside from that small complaint, this was a great film that I might just need to own.
February 9, 2016
Very clever movie. Very good idea. No wonder they wanted a remake.
½ June 12, 2014
super fun movie
i bet its remake would have difficulty try to match its bar
April 29, 2014
Directed by Ronald Neame (The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1969), Scrooge (1970) and The Poseidon Adventure (1972)), and adapted from a story by Sidney Carroll. This comedy caper is very funny and has some very good performances in it. Nothing is what it seems here, and just when it seems like it's going to be a straight-forward heist film, it then pulls the rug out from under your feet, and turns everything on it's head. Cat burglar Harry Dean (Michael Caine) travels to Hong Kong with his partner in crime Emile (John Abbott) and approach showgirl Nicole Chang (Shirley MacLaine) to help them in one of their schemes, as she bears an uncanny resemblence to the late wife of Ahmad Shahbandar (Herbert Lom), the richest man in the world. Harry has the plan to steal a priceless statuette from Shahbandar's apartment in the Arab republic of Damuz. However, Harry had the perfect crime all planned out in his head, what he didn't count on was how unpredictable Nicole would be, and that Shahbandar wouldn't be suspicious from the start. Everything that can go wrong for Harry, does go wrong. It's a very silly little caper, but it has a very light and bubbly feel to it, and there are some good laughs to be had along the way. It was a good idea putting Caine and MacLaine together, as they make a good duo in this film, and it does have fun with the narrative structure, especially in the first 20-30 minutes.
March 21, 2014
Better than most heist flicks - with a gymnastic MaClaine! Not too many surprises with the plot; but it's so well done I don't really care.
March 16, 2014
Great, charming, fun movie. They don't make them like this anymore. And what a shame it is!
February 5, 2014
Breezy and quite entertaining 1960s heist film along the lines of "Topkapi" or "The Italian Job." Michael Caine makes his Hollywood debut as a English cat burglar pulling off the perfect heist with the help of Eurasian dancer Shirley MacLaine. Herbert Lom plays the owner of their target. Caine is good, but MacLaine is utterly charming (if you can put aside the ugly Hollywood tradition of white actors playing ethnic parts). Caine is rather cold in her part, but still good. MacLaine is the real star here and her star makes this film very much worth watching. Directed by Ronald Neame and written by Alvin Sargent (who's been writing since the 1950s and who's still working today, most recently just writing the script for the last three Spiderman films). Well worth watching, especially for MacLaine fans.
January 27, 2014
another likeable 60's brit caper pic like 'the italian job" also remade
November 14, 2013
A classic Michael Caine/Shirley MacLaine caper. Unfortunately, the comedy aspect ruins the heist suspense.
October 10, 2013
A GOOD FLICK TO PASS THE TIME BUT A BIT DATED
October 10, 2013
Enjoyable heist comedy with Caine playing the con man with his usual 60's suave style. Maclaine gives able support and Herbert Lom plays the richest man in the world of whom Caine is trying to steal from.
January 7, 2013
always a delight to see Shirley Maclaine and Michael Kane together in a movie but this one has a great plot and lots of juicy twists!!!!
½ November 25, 2012
Jolly enjoyable Sunday afternoon fodder.
September 19, 2012
Michael Caine and Shirley Maclaine are wonderful a they sleuth their way to perform the ultimate con.
½ February 25, 2012
Shrewd and suave performance by Caine. MacLaine is gorgeous in this as well.
½ February 22, 2012
Hilarious, entertaining, beautifully shot and clever -- Gambit is a swiftly acted, fast-past, heist comedy that just gets better with age.
½ February 20, 2012
Shirley MacLaine is as charming as ever. Loved the set-up and structure. One negative aspect was that the romance between Caine and MacLaine never felt real. Caine's character is a jerk throughout the movie, so it never makes sense for MacLaine to do anything for him out of love. But, fun movie.
January 23, 2012
I loved this. I'm a big Michael Caine fan and I found this to be suspenseful, entertaining, witty and just great!
January 12, 2012
A twisty fun romp. Now really looking forward to seeing what they do with the remake, especially since the Coen Bros wrote it.
December 18, 2011
This was quite a bit better than I expected it to be. Michael Caine recruits the unsuspecting Shirley MacLaine to assist him in the heist of a valuable piece of sculpture from the richest man in the world. I especially like how they mislead you at the beginning, but I won't give that part away any more than that. Check this one out, especially if you like jewel-thief/heist themed movies, its another classic.