Gamera: Chiisaki yusha-tachi (Gamera the Brave) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gamera: Chiisaki yusha-tachi (Gamera the Brave) Reviews

½ January 25, 2015
Much better than I expected, maybe the best Kaiju movie after the Gamera Trilogy.
½ July 6, 2014
if it wasnt for the awesome kaiju zedus a some impressive kaiju battles this would be a bad film. its too kid friendly which if released before the fantastic trilogy would be ok. its too campy for this day and age and it has a terrible excuse for a gamera toto. but i have a soft spot for monsters so it gets a pass.
May 31, 2014
The first and only Gamera film in the Millennium series (and also his last film up to this point) will easily turn on your kid perspective and enjoy a kind-hearted and delightful Gamera film, cheesy enough to love and not enough to puke.

Gamera: The Brave starts right off with the sacrifice of the title monster in order to eliminate all the Gyaos that invade random Asian area no.51 in these movies. Years later, a little kid (our main human character) finds an egg that quickly grows as days go by, until he realizes this egg is actually a new Gamera, which he names "Toto". As expected, this film is more kid friendly than the previous trilogy, and goes for a more safe point of view and execution. It doesn't show anything new, it certainly isn't the best Gamera film, but it's entertaining to watch. There is the requisite monster action and delightful cheesiness to hold up. This feels different from other films in the series, while also still being true to it at the same time, so there is a no-cop-out factor here. The best way to enjoy this movie is having a kid's perspective, without asking too much complexity or achievement in a movie like this, just enjoy what's there to enjoy.

No film of Gamera has been produced since this. The series had been on sleep since 2006, and I think it is proper time to give the turtle monster a new reboot. Maybe even a Godzilla vs Gamera, who knows. Overall, this movie is light and safe, but entertaining and good for the kids.
½ February 1, 2014
A great Gamera movie, child oriented but not childish, good effects and shows a Gamera from hatching to adulthood Typical pet you cannot keep because it grows too big, and is not really a pet at all storyline which is great for kids and serves as a good backdrop to the usual monster fare. If you like this stuff, you won't be disappointed, if you don't you had no interest anyway.
December 3, 2013
This is a wonderful love letter to the series, and Kaiju films in general. Where's the 90's trilogy focused on the dark and epic, this gem focuses on the lighthearted wonder of the Kaiju genre. Heart warming and a joy to behold.
½ May 26, 2013
'Gamera the Brave' is geared toward children, but is sure to appeal to kaiju fans as well. This movie resembles the movies of the Showa Gamera series, but with a distinct flair that only modern cinema can provide. It has its heart in the right place; a true Gamera film in all respects.
½ January 7, 2013
This 2006 entry into the Gamera saga reinvents the movie as it is a new beginning. The effects are excellent, the story is interesting and the acting and pace is very good also. As always there is not enough monster fighting, but Gamera's new adversary is great, the story revolves around children but is done in an adult way, no Disney storylines here. Hoping there is another entry soon, as these movies are more interesting than Godzilla movies and more care seems to taken in making them (excluding the 60's and 70's early entries).
September 26, 2012
Disappointing return to kiddieland after the amazing G3. The soft-looking Gam design is just underwhelming and corny, but the city sets are great as is the main battle.
½ September 2, 2012
Good FX and the rare occasion where I cared about the human characters as much as the kaiju.
I would have prefered the promised sequel to Revenge of Iris but this still was a pleasent (although much more kiddie-friendly) reboot of the Gamera legend.
July 22, 2012
Dumb, but harmless take on the character. I liked the first half considerably more than the later half. Worth a viewing.
June 13, 2012
A great take on Gamera.
½ March 18, 2012
A bit childish but still fairly dark. It's a interesting story and Zedus looks incredible. Gamera feels a bit cheesy but it's fun to see him grow from a little turtle to a giant monster. Characters were alright and ending was fine. I wouldn't mind a sequel.
December 15, 2011
A reboot of the Gamera franchise the returns to the more kid-friendly roots found in the Showa-era Gamera flicks. The grim serious tone of the three previous entries are replaced with a more light-hearted one. The story does a pretty good job combining giant monster flick with a down-to-earth slice-of-life movie. The kid actors are very good and they never come across as bratty or annoying, a problem that plagued some of the Showa-era flicks. Gamera's suit design goes for a more "cute" look that is very far removed from the scary-looking suit from "Revenge of Iris". I don't mind this suit design because I don't think it would have fit the film's tone if Gamera looked scary. Although it is disappointing that they replaced Gamera's trademark roar. I wonder why they did that? Gamera fights a sea monster named Zedus. Zedus is not the most spectacular Gamera villain, but he does make for a tough opponent for him to fight. The fight scenes between the two monsters are well-written and executed. Even though it is a kids movie, this film is not too obnoxious and it does not call attention to the fact that it's kids movie. This film shows respect for both the kid audience and adults. It's a little slow at times, but by the end it becomes spectacle for the eyes. I would not have minded seeing a sequel to this, but it does a pretty good job as a stand-alone effort.
½ October 18, 2011
Awesome effects, but the story is more of the same.
February 27, 2011
The cutest monster movie I've ever seen!
September 15, 2010
The most recent Gamera film is a real mixed bag. Some genuinly moving moments mixed with some cheese, and some great special effetcs mixed with some embarrasing rubber suit moments. Overall it's a good film and well worth a watch, but has some shortcomings and doesn't have the style of the 90s films.
June 28, 2010
A kids movie for sure. Not the serious Gamera movie I was expecting. But I've always enjoyed the Japanese monsters movie since I was a kid myself.
April 21, 2010
Freakin' adorable, heart warming and pretty awesome, this is definitely one of the best Gameras. And now we finally know why he is "the friend of all children."
April 11, 2010
½ April 7, 2010
A Japanese reboot of the 'Gamera' films. Gamera is 'the Godzilla of the Turtle World'. Mainly for a very young audience