Games of Love and Chance (L'Esquive) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Games of Love and Chance (L'Esquive) Reviews

½ February 13, 2015
long movie with no real ending.
January 14, 2015
Les personnages D,abdellatif Kechiche sont envahis d'une telle colère, d'une telle agressività (C), toujours sur le point d'exploser, de s'engueuler, mais contrairement à la graine et le mulet, on multipliait moins les gros plans et une trame narrative se dessinait dans cette chronique illustrant les quelques jours de la vie de plusieurs à (C)tudiants, tous plus chiants les uns des autres. Brillamment orchestrà (C), quoique s'à (C)tirant un peu trop, le film demeure assez intà (C)ressant et captivant.
January 2, 2014
Awesome film, what a great surprise! This films tells the story of a bunch of student forced to study an 18th century play by Marivaux. while the class is rehearsing reality come close to the play when Krimo falls for Lydia. It's a very smart film, very well done and brilliantly acted by a bunch of non professional kids that truly shine in this amazing film.
April 13, 2013
Un film sur les quartiers bien de chez nous. Ca crie, ca hurle des enchainements d'insultes a la seconde pour simplement se dire bonjour. C'est lourd !
January 24, 2013
I had several problems with the film L'Esquive. There were some good things about it, but there were some things I could not get past. All of the problems I had with this movie were because the point of the movie was to be real, but there were parts that were not realistic. The thing that bothered me the most was the incessant arguing. I have no problem with the fact that they were arguing, but the way it was done was wrong. I felt like either side in an argument were just throwing out words rather than actually responding to what the other person was saying. It became apparent during the argument between Lydia and Frida. I noticed it in the dispute between the shop owner and Lydia at the beginning of the movie as well. There were several other parts that this happened including the confrontation of Magali and Lydia's friends. There was no attempt at debate. It was just shouting, and it did not seem very real to me. The arguing was such a large part of the movie, yet to me, it was not done very well. I also think it lacked any emotional connection to the characters and the audience. It really never developed the relationships between any of the characters in the movie except Lydia, Nanou, and Frida. However, those three were constantly fighting so it was still difficult to interpret their relationship. The relationship between those three was one that they all looked out for each other. None of the other characters seemed like they were that close. It did not describe how they met or why they are friends, other than the fact that they look after one another, but it never explained why they chose each other to be friends, and not any of the other people. Therefore, the audience lacked a connection to the characters. As a viewer, I felt distanced from the people in the movie. I think many people would say it was boring because you, as a viewer, were not involved. I could have cared less about the outcome of the relationship between Krimo and Lydia. It accomplishes some good things in its cinema verité style, but it is poorly executed in the end.
August 22, 2012
A comedy? Really? Flat-out NO! This movie makes a serious point, that how we speak to one another makes all the difference in our lives; the difference between success and failure, the difference between easy relatedness and awkwardness, the difference between safety and violence, the difference between being locked-up (literally as well as emotionally) and being free.

LaCroix brilliantly contrasts the harsh argot of a present-day Parisian banlieue, with the artful, classical dialogue of Marivaux. And that scene with the police treating our beloved teens like serial killers? Those police are those same teens, only a few years older with adult responsibilities. What a revelation! Not to make too grand a generalization, but I now understand so much more about urban police than before.

Thank you to Abdellatif Kechiche and to everyone who contributed to this production. It was brilliant!
½ June 6, 2012
C'est loin de nous laisser une belle image de la France, mais ça tient quand même le coup. Même si ça nous donne le goût de nous balader en France avec une bouteille de Tylénol dans sa poche (NIQUE TA MÈRE! NIQUE TA MÈRE! NIQUE TA MÈRE!), l'effet ressenti est assez intéressant. Le film, en soi-même, recèle beaucoup trop de longueurs, mais je suppose que c'est là un peu l'effet recherché par Kechiche.

Toutefois, l'analyse de la pièce de Marivaux est assez sensée et l'interprétation qu'en font ces jeunes acteurs en dit long sur ce qui y est écrit entre les lignes. La fin m'a particulièrement plu. C'est loin d'être le pire film au monde, mais c'est encore plus loin d'être le meilleur.
September 19, 2010
Bon film sur les jeux de l'amour et du hasard dans une cité de banlieue, ou les principaux protagonistes montent une pièce de Marivaux pour le lycée, intéressant de voir le parallèle entre les deux et les tensions et relations entre amis, ex, filles/garçons, avec de jeunes acteurs très bons. Donc bien, mais il faut apprecier le contexte (la cité) et la culture qui s'y rattache.
March 12, 2010
- Ouala wesh tavu
- Ouais comment elle est belle ta robe.
- Tavu
- Ouais
- et toi la verite, elle est belle ma robe hein
- Ouala elle est belle
- Ouais tavu
- La verite elle est belle
- Ouais
....
CESAR DU MEILLEUR SCENARIO 2005 !
April 10, 2009
I absolutely love it. It's a deeply moving coming of age story that takes place in the banlieue. Does an excellent job at evoking the tough nature of what that kind of life is like while also taking into account the normal, universal things we all go through.
shesdownbytheriver
March 28, 2009
No thankyou - Not interested
March 5, 2009
really don't know about this one, although true to reality it fails to grip me and make me care at all about what they're trying to achieve. one outstanding scene throughout the film and it wasn't down to the main characters but when the teacher tells the theme of the play
½ November 6, 2008
ou comment perdre deux heures de son temps
½ September 15, 2008
Mouais, autant le scénario est assez sympa, enfin ça va. La réalisation aussi, autant la language des cités, j'ai un peu de mal.
½ August 21, 2008
c'est tres bon, ce film...

it s very intense, but very good... it s a good real-life french film
July 15, 2008
Film relatant la complexité des rapports adolescents dans une banlieue "ordinaire". Un film qui parle d'amour, où les sentiments s'expriment par les regards et où le théâtre est une clée pour séduire et être séduit.
July 12, 2008
Sociologiquement intéressant... mais est-ce vraiment suffisant pour réussir un film???
June 26, 2008
Any good social points L'Esquive has to make are negated by its storytelling and filmmaking deficiencies. In addition to being extremely heavy-handed, it's tedious in the extreme - a banal, badly-acted story of attraction between profoundly irritating ghetto kids bickering at the tops of their voices for what feels like an interminable two-hours.
½ June 14, 2008
This is a movie that doesn't have a deeply entangled plot, rapid fire excitement or a story so moving you'll come away from it deeply changed... however that being said it is a movie that depicts reality better than anything I've seen in the past few years. The acting is so good you'll think you are a fly on the wall just watching these North African kids from the Parisian "Projects" playing out their lives in front of you. You will get an insight into people who rarely register on any one's TV, CD or DVD. I loved it for that. From the opening lines you are immersed into their lives and lives that are at best mundane without a lot of hope. The main character Krimo is a likable guy albeit very stoic and introverted. He is well played by Osman Elkharraz but throughout the film he rarely changes moods or shows any deep emotion. The ending was a disappointment in that there was no real ending but that's reality too... life goes on and there is not start and end other than birth and death, everything else is a continual overlapping of transitions from something to the next thing. Still the film is worth seeing. The language was brutal and hard to understand. The emotions were deep. The women were intense and the guys were typical teenage guys yet not Hollywood stereotypical. See this when you are tired of the "North American treadmill" we live on everyday and immerse yourself in the microcosm of another culture far away and you will be taken there by these kids and it will make you think about life a little differently after.
May 12, 2008
Un tres beau film, sur la complexite des relations humaines a l'interieur d'une communaute, emouvant au dela du cote social.
Les acteurs sont excellents dans un jeu simple et honnete...