Gammera The Invincible - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gammera The Invincible Reviews

December 31, 2015
This movie is cheesy to the max but I enjoy it.
June 29, 2014
king kong and godzilla two of the most legendary kaiju of all time had a start to match. gamera the other great monster did not. this film is basically just another campy monster movie that is fun but theres no monster which made mediocre films like godzilla vs megalon good. but for what it is monster movie fans will probably enjoy.
May 21, 2014
67%

Also known as the turtle who lived in Godzilla's shadow.
bbcfloridabound
May 3, 2013
Gammera, one of the most famous Japanese monsters to hit the big screen in the 1960s makes his debut in this zero-budget, politically charged monster thriller. It is interesting to consider the tensions that were taking place between certain nations at the time that the movie was made, especially between the U.S. and the former Soviet Union. There is no effort made to disguise the animosity that existed between the two, more than likely since that bitterness was needed as a catalyst to bring Gammera back from 200 million years of hibernation. The U.S. shoots down a suspicious bomber, which turned out to be Russian, over the arctic region. As is to be expected from those sneaky Russians, the bomber was loaded with hydrogen bombs which, upon impact, explode with sufficient force to not only thaw but also infuriate the sleeping Gammera. Lots of havoc is wreaked upon poorly constructed models of cities and airplanes and landscapes and such, and there is some strange subplot about a little boy obsessed with turtles who wants to expose Gammera for the gentle creature that he really is. Inspiration for the Iron Giant, maybe? The special effects are astonishingly bad, but there was no budget and in the movie's defense, I have to say that the people involved in making it knew that they had no budget but they took very seriously their task of doing as much as they could with as little as they had. 3 stars 8-21-08
½ August 25, 2012
The first Gamera movie is essentially a Godzilla ripoff, with atomic testing uncovering an ancient reptilian monster that proceeds to destroy large parts of Japan. Like Godzilla, its in Black & White, and also like Godzilla, the American version edited in American actors.

Unlike the first Godzilla movie, the first Gamera film throws in a kid protagonist, which would become a hallmark of the series. Here, it doesn't mesh very well, since the kid is an antisocial outsider with an obsession with turtles and the annoying ability to sneak into high-security areas and plead with authorities that Gamera is a friendly turtle while Gamera behaves otherwise as they speak.

As far as providing a "giant monster destroys prop buildings" sort of movie, it does a serviceable job. The American dub is awful, and later Gamera movies ramp up the craziness and amusement factor.
½ June 13, 2012
i haven't seen the original japanese version yet, but this is a good monster film.
March 20, 2012
Close enough to the original Japanese version with a few new, but very boring scenes added. The film can drag on a bit and Gamera's name is misspelled in the title for some reason, but it's still the same old classic tale about our favorite giant turtle.
September 18, 2010
I really enjoy watching the classic Japanese monster movies, like Gozilla, so I was looking forward to watching "Gammera the Invincible".

Gammera was created to rival Toho's Godzilla, and had a series of movies as well.

I'm going to have to see if I can find those ones as well.

I quiet enjoyed this black and white classic. There's just something about the old films that are simply fun to watch. You won't be scared, but you will be entertained by this movie- which is part of why Gammera reached icon status in Japan on the same level as its rival, Godzilla.

While it certinly is not on par with many of the more modern horror movies, I'd still rate this as being highly watchable on a rainy day.
August 11, 2010
An extra half a star to this Americanization just for The Moons' Gammera song... whose lyrics comprise entirely of "Gammera" being repeated over and over again.