Gandhi, My Father - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gandhi, My Father Reviews

September 20, 2008
A very moving film. it. It's nice to see films that portray certain historical heroes as real people and not one dimensional characters. The struggle between Gandhi and his son may add sad and tragic irony to the story, but it in no way detracts from his greatness and place in history. I definitely recommend it.
August 30, 2008
INteresting piece of History about Gandhi's first born son, who ended up a drunkard. It is not easy being the son of such a popular ascetic.
August 25, 2008
excellent movie! shows how Gandhi was as human as the next guy! he wasn't a saint in my opinion but a very smart ,clever politician ! not in a bad way , but just a politician ! he might be the father of the nation but he was not a good father to his own son! the movie shows how mahatma Gandhi himself and others used harilal Gandhi for their own agendas , harilal seems to be a " pleaser" and not a strong minded individual, but the price he paid for these character flaw's was not justify bl ! all in all a must watch movie !
August 20, 2008
I was unaware of this side of story, so it was something new to watch.And overall the film was a descent one.
July 30, 2008
Very depressing but also very good.
½ July 18, 2008
Never knew this side of the story..so was a great watch. Terrific film on every dimension: great performances from all the cast, terrific cinematography, and a story worth telling about Gandhi that is relatively unknown - Gandhi as father and family man. Akshaye Khanna is an ace at portraying mixed tormented emotions which border on good and bad. He however is fabulous.
July 3, 2008
I remember we were required to watch this movie last September,2007. Nice direction and acting but I found this film very boring because of its poor writing, they made the story longer which is supposed to be short. Because of it, it did not gained box office. That time, We wanted to get outside the theater to eat instead.
June 25, 2008
Glad to have seen this movie.
June 3, 2008
I was very pleased with this movie. The acting is superb!! Kudos to Akshaye (good genes, I also love his brother Rahul's work) and Darshan as Gandhiji does a great job too. The pacing is excellent and I thought especially the audio of the whole movie was a very important factor of the fascinating journey this movie entails.
As of this aspect of Gandhi's life, I don't really think the point of the movie is about Gandhiji's parenting skills, I thought it was more about the sacrifices people like Gandhi have to make when they are truly living what they preach. In other times and places, Hari would have been a drug addict of some other kind, he was just a man with issues about himself; they are plenty out there. Great movie, certainly worth watching regardless of your favorite genre.
½ May 11, 2008
May 6, 2008
Great movie. Its not a slow paced movie. Its really well made movie. Akshaye Khanna is at his best. Bhoomika Chawla have done a great job. Darshan Jhariwala as Gandhi makes the perfect gandhi after Ben Kingsley. Must watch movie.
½ April 28, 2008
good acting..bit slow though
April 14, 2008
For a Hindi film, this turned out pretty decent. It felt genuine and the melodrama can be quite rewardin at times. Akshaye has that look which convinces you that he truly is unlucky and he doesn't mean to be the cunt that he is. Of course, he looks nothin like the apparent real life bastard that we read about.
April 7, 2008
Akshaye Khanna is an ace at portraying mixed tormented emotions which border on good and bad. He however is fabulous.The portrayal of the biggest failure of the father of the nation, being a father to his own son, is so delicately bought out, you can feel the tension. Fabulous performances by everyone. Well done.
March 13, 2008
A decent movie. Nobody wants to see Gandhi as a jerk to his family or his son as a destitute, but that's what you get with this film. I think the director did an admirable job telling this important aspect of Gandhi's life. I was lucky enough to meet the director, and I believe he did a great job making this film. However, I would much rather see Gandhi in a positive light.
March 5, 2008
A story made from the perspective of Mahatma's son. Good acting and very moving but may be not everyone will like it because it seems too 'historical'.
½ February 17, 2008
Never knew this side of the story..so was a great watch. The acting and direction is superb. For Akshay khanna this might have been his best role ever and hes done it to perfection playing Mahatma's son. Do watch it for the history and the performances.
February 16, 2008
Gandhi's life inspires me by so much and this tragic story about the relationship he has with his son makes him even a bigger person. The director of this movie is courageous.
February 12, 2008
Very slow movie but good to see it once to know about Gandhi and his family.
February 10, 2008
i didnt noe his son was like...THAT...