The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight Reviews

May 31, 2013
Dated and dull slow paced comedy about rival mafia gangs.Lots of star tho.
February 23, 2013
An early Rob't DeNiro flick with Jerry Orbach, Lionel Stander, Herve' Villechaise (with dubbed-in tough guy bass voice), Burt Young and a host of great character actors like Jo Van Fleet, frank Campanella, Phil Bruns, Jack Kehoe, Michael V. Gazzo and ad infintum. This is a crude awkward black comedy, based on the Jimmy Breslin novel. It still makes me laugh.
February 16, 2013
The two best things in this film are one, that I figured out where Big Audio Dynamite got one of their samples ("I'm concerned over the possibility of another gang war.") and two, Jerry Orbach's gorgeous head of hair. Other than that, there's not a lot to recommend about this not so funny mafia comedy.
October 29, 2011
To be fair it was pretty funny but it had an anti-climactic ending,funny seeing De Niro that young, good comedy.
½ March 13, 2011
Despite what people say, I have come to the conclusion that this crime comedy is actually really funny. Just having watched it for the fourth time or so, it hasn‚(TM)t bored me yet, which counts for something, I should think. True, some of the slapstick stuff is over the top (Big Momma, the nonchalance surrounding death and Mafia funerals, the lion ‚" which, by the way, changes from a lioness into a lion in the course of the movie ‚" or at least the manes become a lot longer), but the basis is very good. Jerry Orbach (as gang leader Kid Sally) and Lionel Stander (as Mafia boss Baccala) make this one worth while. One detail in particular that I liked a lot is the running commentary of the press, which is often synchronous to the events themselves. This also shows how serious crime had become in the early seventies: gangs seemed to be ruling the world and none of the authorities could do something about it (chief of police being backed into a corner by the lion, mayor with disinterested wife throwing up in the toilet, etc.). The many funny scenes give us a (tongue-in-cheek) insight into the common practices of criminal gangs (protection rackets, car bombs, gang rivalry, Roman Catholicism as the big excuse). To divert attention and possibly to provide variation on the obvious theme, the director added the character of Mario (a very young Robert de Niro), a petty thief trying to make his way in the world (his ideal world being the USA), linking up with Angela (Leigh Taylor-Young), Kid Sally‚(TM)s decent sister. On the one hand, this addition slows down the action in the second part of the movie. On the other hand, it offers new comedy possibilities, different from the ones we have already seen. Angela and Mario‚(TM)s final separation is kind of contrived, but the final scene of the movie is great again. And there are some scenes I just can‚(TM)t get out of my head, like the one in which Baccala adresses his altar, saying he is willing to ‚giva this creep a last chance. Just for you‚?, and so many similar ones.
½ March 1, 2011
This is a really bad movie. I watched it to see early De Niro and Jerry Orbach. But it's a dumb mafia movie, and I don't think it was every supposed to be anything more.
½ June 18, 2009
A funny take on gang violence....amazing how young all these chaps look... cool for a relaxed evening
½ June 9, 2009
Very funny and very underrated (especially for a De Niro film). One of those movies I laugh at just as hard as when I watched it the first time.
February 23, 2009
More like the gang that couldn't stay funny or keep my interest.
September 21, 2008
Yes, a bit out of wack! But plenty of slap stick humor for the 70's at its time! Its an OK movie, nothing to write home about! The grandmother is hillarious!
½ July 9, 2008
When Robert De Niro was young and hot.
½ May 11, 2008
Really hard to follow, but damn was it funny towards the end.
½ May 9, 2008
I can kind of imagine Francis Ford Coppola sitting down to watch this movie and thinking, "Oh, no, no, I have to rectify this," and in turn making "The Godfather". Because this is such a stupid mafia movie. There are a few funny moments, sure, but all in all it's embarrassingly bad. The only good thing about it is that you can see a really young Jerry Orbach and a really young Robert De Niro together. There are a lot of Italian accents and bad New Yawk accents and half of the plot doesn't make any sense and it's just altogether disjointed.
½ February 6, 2008
Relatively unsuccessful on most levels and boasts some of the most irritating characters I've come across in a while. Would have been helped by more focus on the relationship between De Niro and Taylor-Young. Overall, not terrible... just not very good either.
½ January 3, 2008
This is certainly different in story and style so has plenty of appeal, but the comedy is not great and the novelty factor of De Niro soon wears off.
October 29, 2007
Sooo entertaining it's not even funny!!! (well it is funny but...) for goodness sake there's a pet lion that robs and kills people, without haming them once? haha.
Funny plot, great slapstick comedy. and Robert as you've never seen before.
Oh and the female lead is quite interesting as well...

Grande, friends, Grande...
½ September 4, 2007
Very very funny . I always thought nobody could make a mob story that`s funny.. well this one proved me wrong :P
July 27, 2007