Gangs of New York - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gangs of New York Reviews

October 24, 2016
Nothing special, but Day-Lewis' performance saves the day.
October 3, 2016
10/10 one of scorcesses best works. love Daniel day Lewis 's performance as the butcher.
August 25, 2016
Two days before revisiting this film for the third or fourth time, I tried to assemble a short list of my favorites of Martin Scorsese's films (a task that I've since realized is impossible).

Scorsese has done a few period pieces in his career, but this one feels the most bracing and alive. GANGS OF NEW YORK has the energy and the vivid brutality that so many other period pieces miss. Most filmmakers would let this story be brooding, self-serious, and lengthy. In the hands of Martin Scorsese, the film is certainly still lengthy, but it's also shot, edited, directed, written, and experienced in the same way that his '60s era gangster pictures have.
½ August 24, 2016
Excellent! A lot more fun than watching other historical events of this type. Although it is quite flawed, I believe beyond a doubt that this film was far FAR more worthy to receive the award of Best Picture thank Chicago ever was, what was the Oscar committee thinking that year!?
August 23, 2016
Another great by Scorsese. Daniel Day Lewis does a fantastic job as usual.
July 31, 2016
Favorite Leonardo DiCaprio movie, Gangs of New York is fucking awesome!
½ July 19, 2016
Scorcsese's blockbuster like detachment with an amazing performance by Daniel Day-Lewis.
½ July 18, 2016
Day-Lewis' scenery devouring performance and epic scope of the production are what keep the movie afloat through the occasional rough patches. Scorsese is grasping at something so truthful here about this country's violent history that, even though he might not stick the landing, it's hard to not be wowed by this movie.
July 14, 2016
Lewis and DiCaprio are amazing; however, the feeling of an overlong History channel special is not easily escaped.
½ July 12, 2016
Right off the bat, this film dragged me in. Just how epic it was. An epic battle right off the bat in a time period that was unique and with a production look that was stellar. Unfortunatley, this film couldn't keep up with how good that first little bit was. It's still good, don't get me wrong but I could definitely feel the film slowing down and tredding water. Because this is a long movie and you can feel it's length. Last little compaint, Leo's and Cameron Diaz's Irish Accents seem to go in and out throughout the entire movie. Now for the good. Like I said before, the look and feel of this movie is amazing. Daniel Day-Lewis is a god on screen. Geniunely terrifying. Lastly, the violence felt like it was straight out of a Tarantino film. Overall, this is a really good movie. Not Scorcese's best but a film worthy of checking out.
½ July 5, 2016
Not the best of Scorsese, but still an incredible, surprising, delicate, and baroque movie
½ July 2, 2016
A bit to over top for me
June 30, 2016
I appreciate this movie more everytime I watch it. Long, epic and slow at times, but a simply amazing, original story with incredible acting. Can't name another movie like this one.
May 27, 2016
This epic historical film pays close attention to detail but at nearly 3 hours is too long. There are too many themes, many of which are poorly explored, resulting in the film changing direction often and suddenly. I also felt that many of the scenes and sets felt more like I was watching a stage production than a movie. AAN 1001
½ May 26, 2016
I didn't like it much at all.
½ May 14, 2016
A sprawling epic, however there's one flaw that takes off a half star. The prologue is very over the top. Low on emotion and dramatic tension. The rest of the movie is perfect-top notch design, thrilling, gritty and realistic performances (particularly the magnificent Daniel Day-Lewis) and splendid direction from Scorsese, arguably the greatest director of all time. Superb film, deprived of masterpiece status by the first 10-15 minutes.
May 5, 2016
I had no idea about the riots that occurred in New York during the height of the American Civil War until I saw this violent and brilliant movie. A stellar cast headed by Daniel Day-Lewis and Leonardo DiCaprio show how violent gangs wielded power in a corrupt and effectively lawless period of the life of the growing city. The scale of the film is impressive with hugely complex, sprawling sets giving a real flavour to the early days of the Big Apple. Martin Scorsese certainly knows how to craft a blockbuster that is both visually impressive and well plotted. There are several twists in the plot that I just didn't see coming at all and despite being nearly 3 hours long, I was hooked from the start.
½ May 5, 2016
Wow this movie is fucking amazing
½ April 13, 2016
More about the visuals than the fairly messy screenplay and story.