Gangs of New York - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gangs of New York Reviews

October 15, 2017
Two hours and 46 minutes? Let me say that again. Two hours and 46 minutes for that kind of a pay off?

Now let me explain. This is a really well put together film. I love the sets and the look of New York in this time period. I mean it doesn't get any better. I love the acting, I love the actors, I love Leonardo DiCaprio, Daniel Day Lewis and Cameron Diaz. I mean wonderful.

Lots of fighting, knives, pistols, trickery, trying to maintain order in the city, etc. but I don't really think this movie needed to be that long. It really just seemed to drag on. And on one hand the movie was really good as a time piece, but my gosh couldn't it have ended a little bit differently? Or maybe I needed more violence? Maybe I needed more action? I don't know. I think this is more of a drama. And so things just take time to unfold but part of me just thinks it was way too long for the pay off I got at the end.

For a payback film where someone come backs comes back to get revenge, I'll stick with the Count of Monte Christo. This one had promise but the count of monte Cristo gives me way more action and thrilling and revenge parts.
½ October 9, 2017
Didn't love it quite as much on second viewing....... did love the first half - fantastic dialogue in a fascinatingly weird little world....... lost me a bit when it dovetails with the draft riots.
½ October 9, 2017
Martin Scorsese's sweeping ambition and keen eye for detail is on full display in Gangs of New York, but it's a deeply flawed and uneven epic that Daniel Day-Lewis' terrific performance can only elevate so much.
September 25, 2017
A bit cheesy and overlong, Gangs of New York succeeds thanks to the enormous scale of its production and the totally transporatitive historical details. Thats not to mention roundly fantastic performances from the main and supporting casts.
½ September 18, 2017
god i laughed my ass of at this film unfortunately its not a comedy
½ September 18, 2017
Day Lewis here is possible my favorite screen villain aside from Ledgers Joker. He acts circles around everyone else on screen every scene hes in. The main flaw in this film is the casting of Dicaprio and especially Diaz
September 4, 2017
"Gangs of New York" is a very good, although not great, sprawling epic featuring an spectacular performance by Daniel Day-Lewis. It tries to cover too much ground which makes the film feel disjointed and uneven. With that being said, it is all told in typical Scorsese passion.
August 15, 2017
Over-ripe. I don't want to be too tough on Martin Scorsese but he seems to have thrown everything he had at this film with the hope that it would dazzle. There are numerous tracking shots through very expensive sets (1860s New York City recreated at Cinecitta in Rome), there are brand name actors (Leonardo DiCaprio, Daniel Day Lewis, Cameron Diaz), there are well-known character actors (Jim Broadbent, John C. Reilly, Brendan Gleeson, Liam Neeson, even David Hemmings), there is music by Howard Shore (and U2 over the end credits), there is cinematography by Michael Ballhaus (who worked with Fassbinder, and there is the editing by Thelma Schoonmaker (as usual) and there is the astounding production design by Dante Ferretti. And yet, and yet, it is over-ripe and probably over-long. Sure, there is a lot of money being splashed about and it shows: the film looks gorgeous and the various stylistic flairs are commendable. However, there may just be too much of everything. The story that sees DiCaprio leaving the juvenile prison to revenge the death of his father (Neeson) at the hands of Bill the Butcher (Day Lewis), the crime lord of Five Points, feels flat. Perhaps it is Leonardo's delivery (in voice-over narration) or his too-earnest acting that deadens things? Cameron Diaz feels somehow miscast as a pickpocket love interest - has she been in a period film before? Of course, Day Lewis commands the screen and all of the supporting cast are great. So, it may just be the palpable effort being put into everything, the preponderance of slow-motion, rock'em-sock'em, battles to a grungy beat that feel rather cringe-worthy (and/or immediately dated), adding to the over-the-toppishness of it all, with Scorsese (and the Weinsteins) yearning to be appreciated for their impressiveness. In the end, it's a curio.
½ August 5, 2017
Great performances from entire cast especially Daniel Day Lewis and an overall entertaining film though a bit to long.
July 30, 2017
Martin Scorsese, faz um ótimo trabalho com a direção do filme, usa apenas efeitos práticos, muito bem feitos. O trabalho de câmera aqui e sua fotografia são boas, com closes nos personagens e takes detalhados naquilo que o diretor quer mostrar. O vilão do filme "The Butcher" interpretado pelo Day-Lewis faz um personagem fantástico, com motivações, e passa a sua "Essência de loucura" para o publico, o Amsterdam, (Dicaprio) manda muito bem com seu personagem em cenas de agonia e raiva, a Cameron (Everdeane) faz a garota desejada e perigosa, sem contar em sua beleza. O roteiro do filme sabe o que quer, e conta a historia muito bem, mas insiste nos mesmos erros dos filmes do Scorsese, que é o problema de continuidade, fica em um ritmo, que do nada para e muda para outro, você se perde dentro da trama. A trilha sonora é muito boa em geral, tem melodias e alguns instrumentais. Em Geral, esse filme do Scorsese que conta sobre as gangues que haviam em New York e suas reações sobre a abolição da escravidão pelo Lincoln. Com um ótimo elenco, e sua direção espetacular.
Nota: 8.7
July 29, 2017
1972's The Godfather Is My Fourth Favorite Film Of All Time And 1994's Pulp Fiction Is My Seventh Favorite Film Of All Time As Well.
July 15, 2017
Daniel Day-Lewis' performance in 'Gangs of New York' outshines everything else that's great about the movie, including Jay Cocks' well-researched script and Martin Scorsese's superb direction.

Interestingly enough, when viewing the film after all these years, Leonardo DiCaprio's performance isn't quite as good as one might remember and Cameron Diaz's performance isn't quite as bad.

Nonetheless, the movie is a spectacle from the first scene to the last, and despite a slightly bloated run-time, it offers a robust portraiture of one of the most tumultuous periods in New York's fascinating history.
July 10, 2017
Violent, well acted, well directed, well made. Probably won't watch it again.
½ July 4, 2017
Was a great movie Lewis is exceptional In this
½ June 23, 2017
Occasionally funny, overproduced period drama that's alternately comic, campy, overdressed and unfocussed. Daniel Day Lewis' uncanny ability as a character actor is compelling (sort of) but wasted in this self-indulgent, very theatrical movie that feels like Scorsese is trying to turn into Steven Spielberg mixed combined with Baz Luhrmans overcooked set design. Violent, too.
May 14, 2017
"Gangs of New York" opens with a stunning action sequence and also ends with one. It is a well acted period piece that sets the environment and characters pretty well. I just felt that most of the middle parts were pretty slow. I didn't think all of it was necessary and the movie ends up being pretty overlong. My favorite performance in the movie was Daniel Day-Lewis. His character has a truly terrifying presence on screen. I wish the movie wasn't as slow as it is in places. I truly feel there is a great movie trapped in here.
½ April 3, 2017
Quite possibly the most violent movie I've ever seen. Surreal. Dreary. Did make you wonder how much was true.
½ April 1, 2017
Though it has a messy narrative, Gangs Of New York is unique in it's production and Daniel Day-Lewis as the menacing Bill The Butcher
½ March 28, 2017
Scorsese's messy yet handsome period piece is a bit of a flawed masterpiece. The production values in recreating 19th century New York are nothing short of outstanding, and it may stand as the director's most ambitious project. Unfortunately, the story's pacing issues, and one poor choice in casting (Cameron Diaz) keep it from completely living up to it's aspirations.
½ March 24, 2017
The movie's opening scene is good but then it starts to drag on. The story isn't even all that great; Leonardo Di Caprio wants to kill the Butcher the whole damn movie but yet doesn't make a fucking move. Then in a scene where The Butcher stabs a guy's hand with a knife and the guy makes a horrendous sound as if he's farting or moaning like a fucking baby I don't fucking know. But this movie pissed me off worst movie I've seen by Martin Scorsese so far. This movie gets capitalized for the high hopes I had on it.