Gangs of New York - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gangs of New York Reviews

½ April 3, 2017
Quite possibly the most violent movie I've ever seen. Surreal. Dreary. Did make you wonder how much was true.
½ April 1, 2017
Though it has a messy narrative, Gangs Of New York is unique in it's production and Daniel Day-Lewis as the menacing Bill The Butcher
½ March 28, 2017
Scorsese's messy yet handsome period piece is a bit of a flawed masterpiece. The production values in recreating 19th century New York are nothing short of outstanding, and it may stand as the director's most ambitious project. Unfortunately, the story's pacing issues, and one poor choice in casting (Cameron Diaz) keep it from completely living up to it's aspirations.
½ March 24, 2017
The movie's opening scene is good but then it starts to drag on. The story isn't even all that great; Leonardo Di Caprio wants to kill the Butcher the whole damn movie but yet doesn't make a fucking move. Then in a scene where The Butcher stabs a guy's hand with a knife and the guy makes a horrendous sound as if he's farting or moaning like a fucking baby I don't fucking know. But this movie pissed me off worst movie I've seen by Martin Scorsese so far. This movie gets capitalized for the high hopes I had on it.
March 20, 2017
Scorsese gets to make the films 'he' wants to make, & that would be a good thing if they weren't so bloated & cheesy. Despite a gritty nature lingering over the general style of the film (which is resonant in most of Scorsese's work), everything else fails to make up for the fact that it is a very boring & pointless film
March 19, 2017
A well-made slugfest, Gangs of New York is a disappointing film from one of Hollywoods best directors.
½ March 14, 2017
Not sure how close this movie sticks to historically events, other than it doesn't really for most of it, but makes for a great and enjoyable watch about a time in history that isn't shown in film much. The film goes quite in depth with its long running time, and has great character development and story behind it all. The acting and story are the stars here, particularly by Daniel Day-Lewis as his role of the Butcher, who's although not the main character the film followed per say, he is the star of the show and gains the full attention of the audience with his ruthlessness and insanity. He steals every scene he's in, thanks to his acting and script, and in no small part to his costume. The slow moments were still very interesting and important, and the action scenes were intense and gory. The first battle between the 2 main gangs was pretty impressive to watch, although a different choice of music could have been a good idea, just wasn't fitting. And the last battle was also well done and violent, and when Amsterdam kills the Butcher it is a bloody and strong scene for sure, a good way to end the film. Overall very well done, strong acting and amazing characters is the star here, and the setting and topic is also otherwise unheard of and very cool to see.
½ February 28, 2017
Somewhat chaotic and messy in the beginning but overally powerful story backed by the strong performance by Daniel Day-Lewis and uncompromising Scorcese direction.
January 20, 2017
Just finished watching this film for the first time and I loved it. The setting and the costume designs are incredible. Daniel Day-Lewis as Bill "The Butcher" Cutting is outstanding and terrifying. Leonardo Dicaprio and Cameron Diaz are both great as well. Another great Scorsese movie. A shame that it didn't win one Oscar out of the ten that it was nominated for.
½ January 19, 2017
Martin Scorsese's epic has quite a few selling points. Its production design and cinematography, a superb performance from Daniel Day-Lewis and it's a solid story of vengeance and loyalty. However, it's a little bit too long and Cameron Diaz's performance is... barely passable. The soundtrack's pretty awesome though.
½ January 14, 2017
The movie was enjoyable and had some really good elements, but it just didn't get to that "great" point. I loved the scenery and sets, the villain was great and it had a good story. If they managed to cut this movie down to 2hrs I think it would have made it a better experience. 3.5/5
½ January 7, 2017
Though not always intriguing, "Gangs of New York" has memorable performances, notably that of Day-Lewis's, and some very remarkable production design.
January 1, 2017
I am trying to view director Martin Scorsese's work as much as possible. I faintly remembered viewing this film back on its cinematic release back in 2002. I knew it was good then so I thought it was worth re-watching.
The film is set in nineteenth century New York City as thousands of Irish immigrants arrive each week on boats to the city (and country) and sets the tone for tensions for 'native' Americans.
It is hard to believe that some of the set designs, as lavish as they are will become home to one of the biggest metropolis on earth.
The film mainly centres on a nineteenth century 'Nigel Farage' like character, Bill Cutting (Daniel Day-Lewis) who is the main gangster of the 'streets' of New York. The film is set mainly set in the Five Points area of the city.
Cutting is an apt name as he cuts up all his enemies it seems with ever sharper blades and in more rivers of blood.
In one such confrontation he kills an Irishman Father Vallon (Liam Neeson). It is from this evil killing in front of Vallon's son Amsterdam (later to morph into Leonardo DiCaprio) that the plot of the film is revealed as Amsterdam vows to avenge his father's death.
Vallon earns the respect of Cutting and becomes a member of inner circle before all hell breaks loose setting up a barbaric finale in which New York as we know it is born and the Cutting reign is over.
The Irish accents of some of the characters are laughable. Only Brendan Gleeson makes the most of his. Other actors struggle to grasp the tongue.
It is the production design (Dante Ferretti), cinematography (Michael Ballhaus) and direction of Scorcese that triumph in the film slightly before CGI dominated such films.
The casting has a strong contingent of actors (and few actresses) that feature in UK productions and television and a few Hollywood films. Look out for the bloke of Billy Elliott, 'Q Algy' off Never Say Never Again and Elliot off E.T.
Another Scorsese hit.
December 24, 2016
Just worth it for Daniel Day Lewis's brilliant performance. Scorcesse and Leo struggle to create a compelling enough story and that falters big time in the last 30 minutes.
December 17, 2016
God awful film, what were reviewers thinking? This is such a holdover of the 90s if not the 80s. Awful acting all around. Awful costumes. Cheesy camerawork. Stupid cartoony characters. Ridiculous narration. Historically all over the place. Stupid 'moral' ending that's meaningless. This entire film is an embarrassment, what was Scorsese thinking?
½ December 13, 2016
Daniel Day Luis as the character Bill the Butcher, was damn terrifying! A very iconic performance for an actor of his quality! Leonardo DiCaprio was fine as the son of the main protagonist. The history setting and the tone is just priceless! Felt contained here and there, but that is what makes it work so well.
½ December 3, 2016
Disjointed and overlong. Probably Scorsese's weakest film
December 2, 2016
A masterful work of art that bowls over with energy and life. Some of the finest editing of any American film ever made, and bracing direction that moves with an organic pace and a feeling of scope and scale. Arguably, one of Scorsese's finest films to date.
November 25, 2016
A masterpiece! Story telling at its absolute best. Thank you Martin Scorsese!
November 13, 2016
It blows me away this movie didn't receive a single academy award. After my first watch I could see right away how much it deserved all of the nominations it received. I do agree with the critics in the sense that even though it was a beautiful rendition of early gang culture some of the pacing isnt for all audiences, but it is a difficult task filling a near 3 hour movie with something everyone will enjoy. Overall I think it deserved a bit more praise not only for the direction of Martin Scorsese and the fully committed cast, but for the sets and costumes that gave you such a good sense of the universe the cast and crew tried to present for us. 8/10