Gangs of New York - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gangs of New York Reviews

½ December 3, 2016
Disjointed and overlong. Probably Scorsese's weakest film
December 2, 2016
A masterful work of art that bowls over with energy and life. Some of the finest editing of any American film ever made, and bracing direction that moves with an organic pace and a feeling of scope and scale. Arguably, one of Scorsese's finest films to date.
November 25, 2016
A masterpiece! Story telling at its absolute best. Thank you Martin Scorsese!
November 13, 2016
It blows me away this movie didn't receive a single academy award. After my first watch I could see right away how much it deserved all of the nominations it received. I do agree with the critics in the sense that even though it was a beautiful rendition of early gang culture some of the pacing isnt for all audiences, but it is a difficult task filling a near 3 hour movie with something everyone will enjoy. Overall I think it deserved a bit more praise not only for the direction of Martin Scorsese and the fully committed cast, but for the sets and costumes that gave you such a good sense of the universe the cast and crew tried to present for us. 8/10
½ November 13, 2016
A relatively weak story limply gravitating around Day-Lewis's incredible performance.
October 24, 2016
Nothing special, but Day-Lewis' performance saves the day.
October 3, 2016
10/10 one of scorcesses best works. love Daniel day Lewis 's performance as the butcher.
½ August 24, 2016
Excellent! A lot more fun than watching other historical events of this type. Although it is quite flawed, I believe beyond a doubt that this film was far FAR more worthy to receive the award of Best Picture thank Chicago ever was, what was the Oscar committee thinking that year!?
August 23, 2016
Another great by Scorsese. Daniel Day Lewis does a fantastic job as usual.
July 31, 2016
Favorite Leonardo DiCaprio movie, Gangs of New York is fucking awesome!
½ July 19, 2016
Scorcsese's blockbuster like detachment with an amazing performance by Daniel Day-Lewis.
½ July 18, 2016
Day-Lewis' scenery devouring performance and epic scope of the production are what keep the movie afloat through the occasional rough patches. Scorsese is grasping at something so truthful here about this country's violent history that, even though he might not stick the landing, it's hard to not be wowed by this movie.
July 14, 2016
Lewis and DiCaprio are amazing; however, the feeling of an overlong History channel special is not easily escaped.
½ July 12, 2016
Right off the bat, this film dragged me in. Just how epic it was. An epic battle right off the bat in a time period that was unique and with a production look that was stellar. Unfortunatley, this film couldn't keep up with how good that first little bit was. It's still good, don't get me wrong but I could definitely feel the film slowing down and tredding water. Because this is a long movie and you can feel it's length. Last little compaint, Leo's and Cameron Diaz's Irish Accents seem to go in and out throughout the entire movie. Now for the good. Like I said before, the look and feel of this movie is amazing. Daniel Day-Lewis is a god on screen. Geniunely terrifying. Lastly, the violence felt like it was straight out of a Tarantino film. Overall, this is a really good movie. Not Scorcese's best but a film worthy of checking out.
½ July 5, 2016
Not the best of Scorsese, but still an incredible, surprising, delicate, and baroque movie
½ July 2, 2016
A bit to over top for me
June 30, 2016
I appreciate this movie more everytime I watch it. Long, epic and slow at times, but a simply amazing, original story with incredible acting. Can't name another movie like this one.
May 27, 2016
This epic historical film pays close attention to detail but at nearly 3 hours is too long. There are too many themes, many of which are poorly explored, resulting in the film changing direction often and suddenly. I also felt that many of the scenes and sets felt more like I was watching a stage production than a movie. AAN 1001
½ May 26, 2016
I didn't like it much at all.