Gangs of New York - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gangs of New York Reviews

½ January 14, 2017
The movie was enjoyable and had some really good elements, but it just didn't get to that "great" point. I loved the scenery and sets, the villain was great and it had a good story. If they managed to cut this movie down to 2hrs I think it would have made it a better experience. 3.5/5
January 9, 2017
Just finished watching this film for the first time and I loved it. The setting and the costume designs are incredible. Daniel Day-Lewis as Bill "The Butcher" Cutting is outstanding and terrifying. Leonardo Dicaprio and Cameron Diaz are both great as well. Another great Scorsese movie. A shame that it didn't win one Oscar out of the ten that it was nominated for.
½ January 7, 2017
Though not always intriguing, "Gangs of New York" has memorable performances, notably that of Day-Lewis's, and some very remarkable production design.
January 1, 2017
I am trying to view director Martin Scorsese's work as much as possible. I faintly remembered viewing this film back on its cinematic release back in 2002. I knew it was good then so I thought it was worth re-watching.
The film is set in nineteenth century New York City as thousands of Irish immigrants arrive each week on boats to the city (and country) and sets the tone for tensions for 'native' Americans.
It is hard to believe that some of the set designs, as lavish as they are will become home to one of the biggest metropolis on earth.
The film mainly centres on a nineteenth century 'Nigel Farage' like character, Bill Cutting (Daniel Day-Lewis) who is the main gangster of the 'streets' of New York. The film is set mainly set in the Five Points area of the city.
Cutting is an apt name as he cuts up all his enemies it seems with ever sharper blades and in more rivers of blood.
In one such confrontation he kills an Irishman Father Vallon (Liam Neeson). It is from this evil killing in front of Vallon's son Amsterdam (later to morph into Leonardo DiCaprio) that the plot of the film is revealed as Amsterdam vows to avenge his father's death.
Vallon earns the respect of Cutting and becomes a member of inner circle before all hell breaks loose setting up a barbaric finale in which New York as we know it is born and the Cutting reign is over.
The Irish accents of some of the characters are laughable. Only Brendan Gleeson makes the most of his. Other actors struggle to grasp the tongue.
It is the production design (Dante Ferretti), cinematography (Michael Ballhaus) and direction of Scorcese that triumph in the film slightly before CGI dominated such films.
The casting has a strong contingent of actors (and few actresses) that feature in UK productions and television and a few Hollywood films. Look out for the bloke of Billy Elliott, 'Q Algy' off Never Say Never Again and Elliot off E.T.
Another Scorsese hit.
December 24, 2016
Just worth it for Daniel Day Lewis's brilliant performance. Scorcesse and Leo struggle to create a compelling enough story and that falters big time in the last 30 minutes.
December 17, 2016
God awful film, what were reviewers thinking? This is such a holdover of the 90s if not the 80s. Awful acting all around. Awful costumes. Cheesy camerawork. Stupid cartoony characters. Ridiculous narration. Historically all over the place. Stupid 'moral' ending that's meaningless. This entire film is an embarrassment, what was Scorsese thinking?
½ December 13, 2016
Daniel Day Luis as the character Bill the Butcher, was damn terrifying! A very iconic performance for an actor of his quality! Leonardo DiCaprio was fine as the son of the main protagonist. The history setting and the tone is just priceless! Felt contained here and there, but that is what makes it work so well.
½ December 3, 2016
Disjointed and overlong. Probably Scorsese's weakest film
December 2, 2016
A masterful work of art that bowls over with energy and life. Some of the finest editing of any American film ever made, and bracing direction that moves with an organic pace and a feeling of scope and scale. Arguably, one of Scorsese's finest films to date.
November 25, 2016
A masterpiece! Story telling at its absolute best. Thank you Martin Scorsese!
November 13, 2016
It blows me away this movie didn't receive a single academy award. After my first watch I could see right away how much it deserved all of the nominations it received. I do agree with the critics in the sense that even though it was a beautiful rendition of early gang culture some of the pacing isnt for all audiences, but it is a difficult task filling a near 3 hour movie with something everyone will enjoy. Overall I think it deserved a bit more praise not only for the direction of Martin Scorsese and the fully committed cast, but for the sets and costumes that gave you such a good sense of the universe the cast and crew tried to present for us. 8/10
½ November 13, 2016
A relatively weak story limply gravitating around Day-Lewis's incredible performance.
October 24, 2016
Nothing special, but Day-Lewis' performance saves the day.
October 3, 2016
10/10 one of scorcesses best works. love Daniel day Lewis 's performance as the butcher.
½ August 24, 2016
Excellent! A lot more fun than watching other historical events of this type. Although it is quite flawed, I believe beyond a doubt that this film was far FAR more worthy to receive the award of Best Picture thank Chicago ever was, what was the Oscar committee thinking that year!?
August 23, 2016
Another great by Scorsese. Daniel Day Lewis does a fantastic job as usual.
July 31, 2016
Favorite Leonardo DiCaprio movie, Gangs of New York is fucking awesome!
½ July 19, 2016
Scorcsese's blockbuster like detachment with an amazing performance by Daniel Day-Lewis.
½ July 18, 2016
Day-Lewis' scenery devouring performance and epic scope of the production are what keep the movie afloat through the occasional rough patches. Scorsese is grasping at something so truthful here about this country's violent history that, even though he might not stick the landing, it's hard to not be wowed by this movie.