Gangs of New York - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gangs of New York Reviews

May 7, 2018
Very good, violent but compelling story of New York immigrants in 1846.
April 26, 2018
A hopeless mess of a movie with a total letdown of an ending. I would say Scorsese should stick to Italian gangsters but The Departed was about the Irish and it was terrific. Maybe the guy was having an off-year here.
½ April 19, 2018
too long, although day-lewis' performance is good and the setting is unique. the plot isn't the most complex and it's not as epic or smart as it could have been, but it's entertaining and one of the best dramas of the year. fascinating film overall.
April 7, 2018
Great film with accurate historical context.
April 4, 2018
Interesting and provocative. Totally worthwhile.
½ March 29, 2018
This film replaces the late 20th century Italian Mobsters typically found in Scorsese's work with 19th century gangs in New York's most impoverished area. The story was very interesting showing the political power these working-class thugs had with gratuitously violent battles typically only seen in war films. This of course is exhibited by the excellent performances of most of it's cast, especially Daniel Day-Lewis as Bill the Butcher. With those two aspects in mind it's worth noting that the film does have a hard time developing it's characters and Cameron Diaz just taints this film with a hammy performance. Nonetheless, I absolutely loved it yet much like the film's ending, this film will probably wither away in the public's conscience as an unmemorable work of Scorsese's filmography which is a shame because this is among his finest as a director. Speaking of the ending, you have to be extremely heartless if it doesn't make you choke up at all.
March 12, 2018
Gangs of New York with Leonardo DiCaprio and Daniel Day Lewis is a mind blowing tale of revenge and life in 1860's New York! A brutal and fierce movie from the legendary Martin Scorsese!
½ February 24, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
½ February 12, 2018
Another one of Martin Scorsese's weakest efforts. Maybe he did tried and it's just the script that pulled him down. "Gangs of New York" suffers from a cliché, formulaic plot that we have seen many times before. A boy sees the death of his father and now he seeks revenge on the man who killed him. It's a revenge story that doesn't offer anything new to the table. It's Shakespearean for sure, but it's miles away from being memorable. Also, too many themes jammed into one. The film can't make up its mind on what it's trying to be. Is it a film on how New York was made? Is it about the rise and fall of a gangster? Were the Irish really that cartoony back in the day? Did we really had to have that subplot about people being angry about the army lottery? Daniel Day Lewis shines as the frightening, Bill the Butcher and reminds us why he's one of the best actors of all time. Leo and Cameron are nothing more but canon fodder to him. Any scene that Daniel is in he always stole the show. A 3 hour movie that should have been shorter. Still, at least it was mildly entertaining, for those who enjoy gangster movies.
February 12, 2018
Featuring an outstanding performance by Daniel Day-Lewis with great set pieces and some well-directed action scenes, even though I think it could've been a little shorter, I would still consider Gangs of New York one of Martin Scorsese's best.
February 8, 2018
(6 out of 6)-
When we know what to keep inside such places when it's tradition & ways of our founding people, that we fight. When we know what to keep outside when it's our enemies when such places belongs to us. When we know what comes with a price when such places others are worth are money, power, respect, and our life when our traditions die out with our leaders. When we know what brings those in from such places when higher places makes new laws of what is allowed out when time of change is upon us. When we know such places are changing from all places that brings those from high and low places in and out of our place when time of war is looming. When what we know and don't know who to vote in such places we see what division of classes & people bring when those want out and others want in when time brings those what they don't know progress & votes. When we know what places are like when we return to see those not bothered with what such places they are in when time still doesn't change such places but keeps those afraid out. When such places holds more then what it can keep over time to throw those out and keep those in higher places in when God & Government are one and what we know is lower there are plenty flooding the streets.

When those below might not know what such places hold when such appearances can be deceiving we see what we want to keep in when it's workers to do our bidding and uphold such places over time. When we see what time away beings when it's more time when we know what we must do in such places to bring those in to our own justice when they pushed us out. When we know what comes in when it's time for new places to be formed to push old places out, when we know what each corner brings one more shady then the other.

When such places fight with those from same places and outside places to know such places are always fighting when it's time to form alliances or take what is ours to know what we are in store for when such places are going to hell. When we see such places we put those in and out their place when places over time always change from good to worse to know you don't trust no one even our own kind. When there are plenty of place for those in high and low places when we know what those want all the time to put out for a coin. When what other places hold others don't know who comes in and out of such places when time only places those in high places with other faces and place those in low places with unknown faces. When we see such places puts those all in and out of their places when it's the dead, the poor, the weak, the deviants, to those in other places to know what such places are like when a it's time of war and we know what we are fighting for power & money.

When we know what places we reach we stir up other places when what comes in and out is power to know over time what side others will fight for. When we know what such places, places us if we don't fight when it's out to know what we need to do to get in when the date & time is getting closer. When we know what business we have in such places when it's thieves coming in and out of high and low places taking whatever they want when they have all the time in the world when they do it for a living. When we see what places we are not welcome and other places we welcomed into when higher places needs more hands then lower places when we need to influence those from all places when time is running out. When such places we are introduced to are the ins and outs of the body when we know where we are going with such places when the time comes. When we see what past places of those before us when what came in, erradicated out foreign places when we know what the times were then to the times now to know when such dark places come we will know what time it will be. When what places everyone comes out to see are the examples we ought to know, when the time comes to serve judgment we go into the darker places to know what place to choose.

When what place we leave behind and go to we know all what comes and goes when life and death takes us in and out of places when the time comes to face one another to know what fortune & misfortune one holds. When we know what such low places are like in law to find another place out with no law when the times calls for gambling & entertainment to only give it to those who are desperate to fight their way out of such places. When we see other places out of town, those in higher places know what the times call for, entertainment to distract them from war & civil unrest to only control both places.

When we know we are in the right place to only be pushed out by the government that wishes to overthrow us, that the time to fight is now. When we don't know what we bought ourselves into to get out from one place to go to another place when the time for war pushes us into seperate places where the dead come in and living are shipped out. When what place we hold those high we know what place must come down when time doesn't heal old wounds to take those out and put new ones in. When what place we fall from we know what we need to do when what we kept within for all these years we must get out when we know the place and time to do it to know who we fight for.

When what place that is ours we do as we please when we put others in their place when we know our rights when our time isn't over to go out. When what place we hold our valuables, we know what place we keep our enemies and friends when time brings those important to us worth remembering in forever and those out momentarily. When we know what place we value when we look in deeper places and what comes out are those places we never seen elsewhere but by those who we crossed paths in our past time, to know what is out there.

When we know such places are still there when what comes out is what others see in other places when time doesn't make us forget those who were once admired in and despised out. When what place we no longer hold for such places when betrayal throws us to other places that we need to make those know who is in are disloyal and who is out is not. When what place we know to keep in place we see the time is now to pull those out for a show when this is our place.

When what place we make an example of those who are out of place we know what we bring in we bring out when we have no time for those who dishonour their own name. When what place others come to show us our rightful place, we see and know by what they remain out from to bring those in when the time is right. When what goes in and out of those we face remains in such places to know what we do remains with us in other places when the time comes.*

When what places we return to we rebuild when such places from within once extinguished out burns again in what we know must stand when the time is now. When we place the symbol out for the public to see when what we are in we know are in to the end when the time comes. When we have no place for those who betray such places to know they are in a different place to get those out. When what comes out & multiplys in such places without those knowing, we see we show ourselves at night time what those are up against. When such places are getting worse all over places when bringing those from out of place into other places we know those need more men before time runs out. When what places we can't get out on our own we bring those in when we know others enemy's enemy is our friend when the time to fight is now. When we see what we bring in from such places to represent us in higher places we know those are right when the time to vote is now. When what place we are in we see what we need to get out to vote to force them what they know or don't know who time it is to get out and for others to come in. When other places show signs of progress to know what is coming in and going out when time only brings us places where we need to live.

When what place this is we make those see what place it is when we bring those out our way to bring ourselves in when we know what time it is, our time that we won't give up without a fight. When we see such places democracy is out, and settling the old ways is in when we know there is no other way when time is running out. When we see what places we turn to when we don't allow other places to take us into places we want out we know what places to target when all places that target us we target them when the time is now.

When such places we can't buy out we fight in when we know what dark places we go when we do it for those places we hold of great value when we do it for igniting their time longer. When what place we are in we can't get out from when we take such places we avenge to fight for when we know our time is now. When what place we send word from all places to disperse out angry mobs we what comes in when the time to end those rebellion is now to know what will remain is between us. When we see such places we fight for we know all what we lose out on when our days in such places were whinds down that we fought to the end for those times in what we were the last of our people to see.

When what place we fight for we see don't even recognize us fighting for them when such places belonged to higher places to bring in and out what American history to know such dark times they don't want others to know how such places were onced lived and fought in such places that keeps such past out.

When we see such places that higher places don't wish to associate with we see that what we hold as history, tradition, significance and identity in such places we are in and live out others take away as if it never even happened when time holds still for those in high places to decide what stays and what goes. When such places are considered a stain on our country that needed to destroy and rebuild all what stood there when much of America's dark past are not in the history books when they are left out among all other heroes, American figures, and reformists in low places that wanted change yet the time called for higher places to takeover.
February 7, 2018
An overwrought, meandering plot, some poor spots of writing, and the visuals do not withstand the test of time. A movie best left in the past, much to Vallon's dismay.
February 2, 2018
Daniel Day-Lewis and Leonardo DiCaprio are great but Cameron Diaz isn't. Her character should have been played by someone like Renee Zellwegger, Nicole Kidman, or Kate Winslet.
½ January 28, 2018
This movie had so much potential. The ending was quite possibly the worst I have ever seen. Do not watch.
½ January 27, 2018
Gangs of New York is a fantastic film by Martin Scorsese who does a great job showing the details of New York in the 1800's. Daniel Day Lewis gives an electrifying performance in one of the two lead roles and Leonardo Dicaprio and Cameron Diaz also give great performances making this movie as good as it is. Once the movie is over, it's so good to show you that you probably wouldn't want to live during this time period.
½ January 18, 2018
Messy attempt to fit too much narrative in a confusing genre, but the explosive performances save us at every scene. Scorsese stages each set, shot with great precision and beauty that needs to screenshotted. There was so much potential to really answer the question of cultural identity and the dynamics it has with loyalty, but ahh -o well.
January 15, 2018
It's a film that had more potential than what's there; an overlong epic with solid performances.
½ January 15, 2018
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Con Martin Scorsese en la dirección y Daniel Day-Lewis actuando...¿Qué puede salir mal?...excepto que adaptes un guión predecible y con cierto tono infantil, aunque da igual, sigue siendo una gran película.
½ January 6, 2018
Grand in scale, this beautifully shot film has wonderful cinematography and gorgeous production design, as well as utterly captivating performances from the cast who immerse themselves in their characters so perfectly that they seem to become them, in particular Daniel Day-Lewis who is, as always, a genius in a league of his own. The story is interesting with great character development and depth, but it is far from perfect: it does get quite muddled here and there, the pacing is somewhat uneven, and the ending feels rushed and anti-climactic considering the build-up to it. It is also a long film at 2 hrs. 45 mins. running time and could have done with some extra editing. Nevertheless, despite its flaws and a reach that somewhat exceeds its grasp, the end result is still a spectacularly bloody, violent and stylish film that, if for nothing else, you have to admire for its wild imagination.
½ December 25, 2017