Gangster No. 1 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gangster No. 1 Reviews

July 5, 2012
A brilliant movie and two brilliant performances from Malcolm McDowell and Paul Bettany. Davis Thewlis is also great and so is the rest of the supporting cast. It's very unappreciated and underrated, more people should watch this. Brutal, cool and sometimes funny, Gangster no 1 is one of my favourites.
July 3, 2012
Woah. I am disturbed. Malcolm McDowell is scarier in this than in A Clockwork Orange.
June 8, 2012
A very energetic, brutal and cool movie. The first time that i´ve seen it I was paralyzed by the performance of Paul Bettany und his psychotic Acting. He´s brilliant and enormously sexy in his role. The music and the setting of the movie in the environment of Criminals in London is also sympathetic to me, as I am anglophile and therefore very attracted to the theme und subject of the movie. All in all i have to say everything, I mean every aspect of the movie, the story, the style, the actors and the hole composition is successful.
But the most important: Paul Bettany acts ace!
½ June 7, 2012
I was disappointed with this one, drawn to it by its cast, but let down by the same elements, as well as the script. This film was so surreal and semi-spoofy, silly even, that I lost track of what looked intentional and what didn't. McDowell/Bettany's character is the almost perfect example of a one-dimensional character who became increasingly tedious to watch and listen to. Saved by some nice music and editing, this strange and still somehow fun film isn't something I'd recommend.
½ June 4, 2012
looks very very good
April 23, 2012
All time favorite movie... Best P.O.V. and in the mind of a psycho murder scene ever. But that isn't what makes the movie so great. And it sure ain't their silly little british accents either.. It is a love story.. Don't get it twisted.
½ March 23, 2012
This film was a fan girl's nerdy nirvana because not only does it have two of my all-time favorite actors: Paul Bettany (who was totally freaky in this one) and David Thewlis (who was supremely dreamy) but it was a treat to see a very young and almost unrecognizable Andrew Lincoln (aka Rick Grimes from The Walking Dead). This was a little gritty, a wee bit dark and twisty but overall great and the ending was just fab! The ensemble did a super job (of course, no surprise there), most notably the character Eddie Miller played by ubber talented character actor Eddie Marsan (who I first loved from the mini-series "Little Dorrit"). Very clever, very cool and well executed film. Loved it!
March 23, 2012
Bettany is terrifying. What a great actor, and how fun this role must have been, all that glowering and doomy language. Clockwork Orange references are silly, and the movie's understanding of the characters' psychology is finally, disappointingly, unsubtle. But these stars are made entirely out of actorly charisma.
February 17, 2012
Three excellent performances from the leads in this brutal portrayal of a young thug slowly decaying into a murdering psychotic. The story develops really well and the script is a real highlight.
February 8, 2012
Wonderful movie with great talent! Was expecting more blood but the character development was great!
January 9, 2012
With excellent narration from Malcolm McDowell and a chilling performance from Paul Bettany, "Gangster No. 1" is a mobster thriller that will leave you breathless.
½ December 17, 2011
Worth the price of admission for Paul Bettany. He's so intense, some of his reaction shots actually scared me.
November 2, 2011
Good British gangster flick. Story of a young hood and his rise to the top.
October 31, 2011
While the story of a Gangsters rise and fall isn't exactly unexplored Territory, Gangster No. 1 successfully avoids being a generic entry in the genre because of Johnny Ferguson's script and stylistic direction from Paul McGuian. Malcolm McDowell and Paul Bettany are both great as the young and old power hungry Gangster.
Wizenhymer
½ October 29, 2011
Summary:
A great British gangster movie. It's violent, scary, thrilling and a little psychotic.

The Good:
The movie is not filled completely with action but you will never be bored. The acting is superb and you will be genuinely interested in the story and characters. There is lots of blood as well.

The Bad:
Not much bad I can say, unless you don't like awesomeness.

Ratings:
Acting: 10/10
Story: 9/10
Originalality: 8/10
Soundtrack: 8/10
Characters: 9/10
Overall: 9.2/10
½ September 20, 2011
Gangster No.1 is an entertaining and compelling film. Some of the violence is a bit too much at times, but it's stylish and original. It's worth checking out.
½ August 22, 2011
Complete middle ground, all stars awarded to Paul Bettany. The rest didnt make sense.
blkbomb
½ August 13, 2011
Gangster 55: I'm Superman! King fucking Kong! I can pick you up and throw you a million miles. I'm number one.

"It's not who you know, it's who you kill."

I'll admit it did take me awhile to warm up to Gangster No. 1, but it did turn out to be a really good English Gangster film. What won me over were the performances by Paul Bettany, Malcolm McDowell and David Thewlis. Each of those actors gave an outstanding performance. The movie chronicles the rise and fall of Gangster No. 55, played by Paul Bettany when he's young and Malcolm McDowell when he's old. Both actors really sell the character and make the Gangster a very interesting character. I always enjoy watching Malcolm McDowell and he gives a sinister performance. He also does an extremely good voice over throughout the entire movie. Bettany is equally sinister and really makes the movie.

Gangster No. 1 or as I prefer, The Gangster with No Name, does have it's flaws though. Many times the film comes of as an exercise in style of substance. It uses a lot of different editing techniques that I don't think helps the movie at all. If anything, I believe it hurts it. Like I said it did take me awhile to get into the movie. It didn't really become captivating until half way through, but from there on out it really is a great movie. Honestly I almost turned it off a few times in the firs 45 minutes, but I'm really glad a gave it a shot.

It's not going to be a gangster classic by any means. It borrows from a lot of previous films, but in the end it does separate it's self from all of them. It's a cool, stylistic and well-acted movie.
July 31, 2011
The first hour and half is worth 7.5 stars, the last 15 minutes is worth 3 stars.

It is a great movie with excellent character development, great acting, and generally enthralling. But then it takes a bad turn towards the end. And there is a time lapse, in which some characters are replaced and some are made to look aged, and it doesn't feel natural.
July 30, 2011
Just seen this and really enjoyed it. Slickly directed with fine performances by Bettany, McDowell and Thewlis. Concerns the rise to power of a psychopathic gangster who double crosses the gangs leader only to have his actions backfire on him. McDowell is brilliant as the older gangster...best performance since A Clockwork Orange 30 years earlier. Bettany and Thewlis are equally brrilliant. This film contains lots of swearing and brutal killing and not suitable for Junior.
Apparently bombed at the US box-office due to cockney accents...good that the director did not cow-tow to an American audience...recommended.