Ryan Gosling Top Movies

Summary

Hey girl, Ryan Gosling has three movies scheduled for release this year -- and with the first, Gangster Squad, making its long-delayed arrival in theaters this weekend, we decided not to waste any time giving the impressively prolific (not to mention widely eclectic) leading man his due by taking a fond look back at his ever-growing filmography's critical highlights. And you know what that means, folks: It's time for Total Recall! Back to Article

Comments

Bigbrother

Big Brother

He's not my favorite and like you, I don't care for a lot of his movie's, but even I have to admit it's very impressive where he came from to where he's at now.

Jan 9 - 03:15 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I am disappointed Gangster Squad did not turn out better, but Gosling is truly a star now, so it is expected he will be doing studio pictures that appeal to the masses now. I just hope he does not lose touch with directors like Cianfrance or Refn as time goes along, and continues the current direction he is in of starring in bold, daring cinema inbetween his paycheck movies.

Jan 9 - 10:00 PM

Shane Hoche

Shane Hoche

I think he will Refn originally was not associated with "Drive" they got Gosling on board first and he requested they get Refn to direct.

Jan 9 - 11:05 PM

Patrick Mullen

Patrick Mullen

Keep in mind for the most part women are the only people who see The Notebook and I haven't met one woman who doesn't love it. That might explain the high community appreciation.

Jan 9 - 03:24 PM

Jola Borys

Jola Borys

I'm a woman and I found it most disappointing Gosling's movie to date. Definitely do not love it. Drive on the contrary... <3

Jan 10 - 11:01 AM

N Wallis

N Wallis

Woman here. Couldn't stand that schmaltz that was The Notebook. The power of the internet -- Patrick has reached a different subset of women! We are out here, although we are the minority.

Jan 13 - 12:27 PM

Nova Q.

Nova Qi

I'm a girl and I hated the Notebook! Although it's true, most girls do love it, for reasons I cannot understand...

Jan 15 - 03:16 PM

Robert James

Robert James

Here is my 2.5 cents. Drive was crap....even if it is noire crap. It tried too hard to be an edgy soundtrack-driven thriller with sudden bursts of violence....but it failed as did the soundtrack. For better picks on movies that succeeded in that vein, check out True Romance or GO. I can't even remember what 'Drive' was about. I love RG and his best role by far was a tie btw Half Nelson and Blue Valentine. Ides of March was amazing acting on his part and Lars was a blast to watch.

Jan 9 - 03:38 PM

Gary Warren

Gary Warren

I agree 100%. It tried SO HARD. It made me think of the kid who wants to be cool, so he tries to act cool.

Jan 9 - 05:37 PM

Dave J

No one in the film was trying to act cool so if that's what you see than you're gravely mistaken!

Jan 11 - 12:41 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

Disagree 100%. Loved Drive. The Cannes Film Festival didn't award the director for no reason.

Jan 9 - 06:16 PM

Vikki Johnson

Vikki Johnson

FINALLY, a man who sees that Drive is a lousy movie! Thanks Robert James!

Jan 9 - 06:30 PM

Dave J

It's only a lousy movie because you can't relate to it's central character!

Jan 11 - 12:40 PM

Andrew Henderson

Andrew Henderson

Robert...you're a fucking idiot.

Jan 9 - 08:34 PM

David Tran

David Tran

Could not said better myself. Just look at the guy, he looks like a pedophile or that stupid nosy character neighbor from Friends who's always in your bizz.

Jan 10 - 03:59 PM

Daniel Johnson

Daniel Johnson

People are not idiots for not liking Drive, they just simply don't have a good eye for fine cinema

Jan 11 - 04:04 AM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

Stupid cunt

Jan 9 - 09:16 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I thought the soundtrack for Drive was gangsta as hell...

Jan 9 - 09:56 PM

ram b.

ram bond

great soundtrack

Jan 11 - 12:48 PM

James L.

James Lin

Here's my 2.5 cents. Robert James writes crap....even if it is film critics crap. You tried too hard to be an influential film reviewer but you failed as did your face.

Jan 10 - 10:48 AM

Dave J

"Drive" was intended to be plotless and anyone who can't recognize that can't see their own hypocrisies since plotless films has been around for years! The only difference with this one is that some can't relate to it's central character!

Jan 11 - 12:38 PM

Chris Rolewicz

Chris Rolewicz

GO? ha! That movie was terrible.

Jan 11 - 05:54 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

I'm not going to lie: it IS depressing, although it's also relentlessly realistic when it comes to the autopsy of a dissolved marriage. It took the director 12 years to make, and just remember that much of the dialogue was improvised.

Jan 9 - 04:24 PM

Daniel O'Raw

Daniel O'Raw

My favorite performance by him is in Lars and The Real Girl because its so unlike what he usually seems to play, plus hes actually astounding in it.

Jan 9 - 04:28 PM

Daniel O'Raw

Daniel O'Raw

Well if your mind thinks like that then of course you'll think hes a deadpan mediocre actor if you haven't actually seen his good films and might not be willing to. He is incredible in lars and the real girl.

Jan 9 - 04:31 PM

Jason H.

Jason Huang

drive is his best! the notebook was his worst. crazy stupid love is also really good.

Jan 9 - 05:35 PM

Gary Warren

Gary Warren

Jan 9 - 05:37 PM

Jan 11 - 12:41 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

Jan 9 - 06:16 PM

Vikki Johnson

Vikki Johnson

"Drive" is way too violent. I only went to see it because Gosling was in it. But, even his overwhelming sex appeal and acting talent could not save that movie.

Jan 9 - 06:24 PM

Shane Hoche

Shane Hoche

I have heard people saying that but in a overall sense it is not very violent. Why do people consider James Bond and PG-13 action movies/war less violent when life is treated so carelessly.

Jan 9 - 11:02 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

No, it"s definitely violent. haha. Not sure which movie you saw.

Jan 10 - 05:50 AM

Max Power

Max Power

Really, the fact that its violent makes it bad? That's a horrible benchmark for the quality of a film. Its like saying Notebook is bad because its got too many dresses in it. A ridiculous assertion that ignores everything that the movie accomplishes, which hinges on a tiny fraction of the content.

Jan 10 - 07:05 AM

Will Smart

Will Smart

sorry you are a baby...baby.

Jan 10 - 10:29 AM

James L.

James Lin

I don't blame you Vikki. You're a woman so your feelings for that movie is expected. :)

Jan 10 - 10:50 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Oh the irony at all this disrespect to women when Transformer: Revenger of the Fallen is currently sitting at a 76% positive rating by users.

Jan 10 - 12:32 PM

Paul Thomas

Paul Thomas

Friggin' THANK YOU, King Simba.

Jan 10 - 07:19 PM

scifimark

scifi mark

lol nice simba. There are plenty of guy flicks that arent good that are liked by men so to each their own

Jan 10 - 08:41 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Look THE NOTEBOOK is shower nozzle material for a lot of women I get it...but Gosling is an ACTOR, he's not fucking model.

Jan 11 - 12:45 PM

Sam Silbert

Sam Silbert

Well said.

Jan 11 - 01:23 PM

Daniel Draghici

Daniel Draghici

It dealt with people trying to kill him and him trying to save people, how could it not be violent? James Bond goes around killing hundreds of people and women love him, but driver kills 3-4 and the movie's bad because of it? The fact that you went to see a movie only because of the actor and his "sex" appeal, when the movie has nothing to do with that, shows how intelligent of an opinion you can give.

Jan 12 - 09:41 PM

Michael C.

Michael Coutermarsh

The movie was extremely violent. Were as a pg-13 violent movie like Bond has puffs of smock and people falling over everywhere and things blowing up. Drive has a woman's head being blown open with a shut gone. it's not amount of violent acts that depict rating it's the acts committed and the extreme nature of the violent act.

Personally I disliked the movie, slow, overly violent, and everyone seemed depressed. There were also aspects of the movie that simply made no sense.

The notebook did better because the movie has more draw from a broader age range and more then one sex.

Jan 13 - 09:54 AM

Vikki Johnson

Vikki Johnson

FINALLY, a man who sees that Drive is a lousy movie! Thanks Robert James!

Jan 9 - 06:30 PM

Dave J

It's only a lousy movie because you can't relate to it's central character!

Jan 11 - 12:40 PM

Dave J

You wouldn't be saying that had you seen him in critically acclaimed films such as "Fracture", "The Believers" and "Drive" which is not an action film, instead of seeing "The Notebook" which I thought was mediocre at best ! And when you call Gosling a mediocre actor, I don't see his acting abilities similar to Sly Stallone or Schwartzenegger! And wasn't Gosling even "nominated" for an Oscar for Best actor he did in "Half Nelson"!

Jan 9 - 06:41 PM

Andrew Henderson

Andrew Henderson

Robert...you're a fucking idiot.

Jan 9 - 08:34 PM

David Tran

David Tran

Jan 10 - 03:59 PM

Daniel Johnson

Daniel Johnson

Jan 11 - 04:04 AM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

Stupid cunt

Jan 9 - 09:16 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I thought the soundtrack for Drive was gangsta as hell...

Jan 9 - 09:56 PM

ram b.

ram bond

great soundtrack

Jan 11 - 12:48 PM

David Riley

David Riley

where's remember the titans?

Jan 9 - 09:58 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Jan 9 - 10:00 PM

Shane Hoche

Shane Hoche

Jan 9 - 11:05 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Not sure if I have ever seen a "pretty boy" actor gets his face so mutilated in a film before.

Jan 9 - 10:02 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday