Garbo: The Spy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Garbo: The Spy Reviews

½ June 15, 2016
6/15/16 Sundance Doc Club
June 30, 2013
Saw GARBO: THE SPY last night. Quite amazing story about a double agent who helped the Allies take Normandy and defeat those nasty Nazis. The film incorporates found footage and film clips with a few talking heads. A staggering tale that once again shows how complex and fascinating WWII was. Unfortunately, the film just didn't grab me. The footage was used amazingly well but the talking heads didn't compliment the action. I was left cold.
June 7, 2013
Netflix, #8 On Ebert's list of best of 2011
½ December 31, 2011
It seems I am batting .000 in the realm of documentaries recently. "Garbo: The Spy" told a really fascinating story really poorly. Edmon Roch sets out to tell the story of a particularly creative double-agent, working for the British and against the Nazis in WWII. However instead of setting the record straight, we are handed the (admittedly creatively brilliant) machinations of one code name Garbo as truth with bits and pieces slowly being revealed as a falsehood or an elaborate concoction of a scheme to bamboozle the Germans. Unfortunately it seems that the best way to comb through this all would have been more matter-of-factly. A phenomenal story poorly told, Garvo is extraordinarily fascinating in substance but horribly lacking in coherent presentation. There is enough made straight by the end such as to justify seeing the film, but not enough such as to preclude the necessity of serious reading after the film ended to try and understand what actually happened. Whether or not it was sensationalized a but is abyone's guess - the whole thing was beyond belief. However I also wonder how egregiously inept Nazi intelligence was, since this film made German intelligence out to be something of a Three Stooges act.
½ December 9, 2011
The history is amazing. The treatment; less than. Well worth viewing for the information but only as well made as a middling History Channel project.
½ May 10, 2011
(Garbo: El espía) De lo que se entera uno! Documental muy curioso y recomendable.
March 17, 2011
A well-told documentary of a fascinating man. Thanks for helping us win the war, Garbo.
March 4, 2011
Garbo. El espia [2009]
½ October 10, 2010
October 3, 2010
A very interesting story that I think would make a fascinating fictional film. I wish I would've known a little more about the subject beforehand though because there were times, especially in the first half hour, where I was a little confused about who Garbo was (I walked into this movie knowing absolutely nothing but the title). All in all, a very informative movie, but its setback is that it has the production quality of something on A&E, and is mostly just talking heads combined with footage from old movies.
½ June 5, 2010
A wonderfully-directed documentary. It really reminded me of Guy Madden's style a little -- especially because of the innovative use of archival footage.
March 25, 2010
If I see a better documentary this year I will be a very happy man. This story of a WWII spy was gripping, well-told, and had the perfect amount of style. Excellent.
March 6, 2010
Un gran documental, no és cap secret (l'avalen els seus recents premis). Potser es troba a faltar una miqueta sentir-li ni que fossin quatre paraules al protagonista, ja que hi havia imatges disponibles.