The Garden of Allah - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Garden of Allah Reviews

jjnxn
½ September 26, 2013
Heavy duty dramatics in beautiful color.
January 6, 2013
Starring Dietrich and Charles Boyer, this disappointing third version of the popular 1904 novel, is mostly known for its use of three-color Technicolor, which won an Oscar.
½ January 2, 2011
What a hilarious yarn of ill-starred romance in an exotic location. The wedding of Boyer to Dietrich totally caught me by surprise. I didnâ(TM)t even think they were getting along. Heâ(TM)s supposed to be a Trappist monk on the run, so I suppose itâ(TM)s understandable he doesnâ(TM)t have much to say for himself. And he displays remarkable acting chops by, alternately, breaking a sweat and shedding a tear on camera. This is a dumb blonde of a movie: good looking but very silly.
September 2, 2010
How can this wonderful film be failed! I loved it and I really think the movie is underrated. The cinematography is one of the best in history, same for the art direction, costumes and specially Marlene Dietrich! Certainly Boyer was a bad actor, but the film is incredible and the restoration it recently had, makes it look like new.
½ June 20, 2009
Here we have Domini (Marlene Dietrich) in the desert in love with Boris (Charles Boyer) who is a Trappist monk. They get married, and suddenly a french legionnaire who recognises Boris from the past, appears and reveals a secret about Boris. Therefor Boris leaves Domini in agony. Does is sound interesting? I'll tell you what; it isn't! Not worth watching unless you are a diehard Marlene Dietrich-fan. Despite it's all star cast with; Marlene Dietrich, Charles Boyer, C. Aubrey Smith, John Carradine, and Basil Rathbone the movie is incredibly dull, and the whole thing just feels lazy directed, unengaging, and made by people who trust the actors stardome too much. Distustingly cheesy as well.

Not worth seeing, specially not if you are just getting custummed to Marlene Dietrich's movies.
May 7, 2008
Esta película destaca sobre todo por la imagen, más que por la historia que cuenta. Marlene es suprema para dar estilo.
April 25, 2008
really good. great scenery
April 20, 2008
Oodles of golden age-style melodrama in glorious Technicolor (R), but also some kickass acting and heartstring tuggage. I defy you watch it and not clutch your pained chest by the time it ends. No singing by Marlene, but somehow that made her character more dignified. She also wears some fabulous outfits, naturally. In short, an amazing film that is totally worth it, especially if you have doubts about Marlene Dietrich's acting chops.
½ February 19, 2008
This is good too but I was looking for 'Kismet' (not on facebook) which is the highlight of Marlene's legs carreer!
½ November 26, 2007
This film makes everything look. . . .purdy ;)
½ November 21, 2007
One of the earliest three-strip Technicolor features, this David O. Selznick production oozes with the visual lushness and glamour he was known for. Beautifully restored and transferred. The story is lacking and Charles Boyer doesn't seem to know how to bring his character to life, but it's a visual feast and Marlena Dietrich is always interesting to watch.
August 15, 2007
Beautiful technicolor melodrama. One of the first in color. Received an Oscar in 1936.
June 19, 2007
You know those old hand-tinted postcards you'd see in antique stores? This movie is like a moving, living version of that. It's unbelievably beautiful, and besides, it features Joseph Schildkraut wearing a fez.
June 14, 2007
Beautiful and mystical film, but goes for too far into melodrama.
June 6, 2007
great love story and i love it because i am named after marlene dietrich
February 2, 2007
In terms of visual beauty this movie is outstanding! I had no idea that Technicolor came out so early. Although I didn't like the ending, entire movie is fantastic and makes me wish that I was in North Africa. The cast is excellent and Marlene Dietrich is big plus and of course she is so alluring and I enjoyed watching her in this flick. Basil Rathbone is perfect in this movie. I couldn't get over the scenery and the sets... The hotel, the palm trees, the desert, it's all there... the legionnaires bring a "Beau Geste" feeling to the film. They certainly don't make movies like these anymore.
February 18, 2006
5.5/10. Tecnically it is a tremendous film, especially the cinematography. The color is excellent and it has a moving score. Great costumes. But the writing and story are very hokey, at times quite bad. But the presence of Marlene Dietrich and Charles Boyer help tremendously.