Garden State - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Garden State Reviews

½ September 21, 2015
Garden State is witty, cute, and full of charm. That's about it though.
½ September 16, 2015
Another film that altered the way I view films. Really the first "indie" film I saw that resonated with me outside of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Both of those films struck a balance between how I now view melancholy independent films and made me appreciate both the happy ending and the heartbreaking-but-more-likely-real endings of movies like Eternal Sunshine or Lost In Translation.
September 15, 2015
Great original, quirky movie. Loved it! And GREAT soundtrack to boot! :)
August 27, 2015
Charming film with a lot of depth and pretty sharp acting...Natalie Portman's character is so adorable , she will win you over after her first five minutes on screen ! 3 Stars
½ July 29, 2015
Funny and quirky comedy that has enough grace to carry five movies.
July 19, 2015
Garden State is not a perfect movie. There are many unlikable characters and some scenes seem a bit unneeded. But where the movie shines is the two main leads. Zach Braff is good as always and is able to handle writing, directing, and acting in stride and Natalie Portman is fantastic as a character I have never seen her play before. Where Garden State shines it really shines.
½ June 19, 2015
There isn't some big message or story behind this movie. it just is what it is, and it does it perfectly. With Braff & Portman taking the helm perfectly, and help a slightly loose narrative fall on it's feet gracefully.
½ May 31, 2015
"If cancer were pretentious, it would be Garden State."
½ May 22, 2015
Got it and watched for first time since theaters. I had in my mind as 4 now 2.5 after 10 year hiatus.
½ April 19, 2015
Well what an excellent romantic dramedy. I just witnessed this for the first time and I was enthralled with this film. Zach braff did a fantastic job as a first time director showing restraint and getting quality work out of a diverse cast. My favorite performance in the film was by Natalie Portman who gave an offbeat performance and gave the film a boost the second she came on screen. This film is an excellent example of why I love romantic dramedies when they're well done with heart. They can have so much depth when the chemistry between the leads is so dynamic as it was here between Braff and Portman. Garden State provided an excellent script combined with winning performances and just enough charm consistently throughout that made this a memorable film.
April 12, 2015
Perfectly scripted genius.
½ April 10, 2015
- I've seen this film many times, it's pretty close to perfection for me. Great script, whole cast is excellent, strong soundtrack, and excellent cinematography. See it out!

- I think this is a great film. It's a very quirky and original film where every element just works for me. It's well written, well acted and very well shot and has an amazing soundtrack. Check it out!
April 1, 2015
God, where do I start? This film is terrible, just awful. true, there are some chuckle-worthy moments and I can definitely relate to some parts of the film (Not being able to cry at funerals and feeling terrible about it, Seeing your hometown as boring, lame, and dead. Seeing your old friends grow up to either do nothing or become something you never thought they would be or just isn't them. Feeling lost, adrift, and aimless), if the film was actually about a guy doing some soul searching....maybe it would have been good. It likes to pretend thats what it's about but it's really just a generic, bland, rom-com-dram (It likes to pretend that it's deeper than it actually is. It's also downright harmful as it seems to encourage people to stop taking their meds.). Natalie Portman's Sam is easily one of the worst, most unrealistic, and most annoying and grating females in film (She is a manic pixie dream girl on coke, and I don't mean the soda. I really wanted someone to shoot her point blank in the face). It's also really annoying that one of the main themes is wanting to do something original and unique that no one has ever done before (This is brought up twice). Get the fuck over yourself Braff. Zach Braff's Andrew doesn't fare a whole lot better than Sam does as he is almost a non-prescence in the film. You don't ever really feel any emotion towards him as he is an apathetic, extremely depressed man. He's the focal point of our story, but kind of just wanders around. He never really adds anything to the plot, or even does anything. He's the human equivalent of wallpaper, he just kind of blends into the background for the whole film. The film is very quirky, like through the roof quirky.....to the point where it starts to make you nauseous. I also found it downright insulting that the film seems to imply that all you really need is a girl, and that a man is defined by the girl he's with. Topped off with a fairly awful soundtrack, Garden State offers little for anyone. SKIP IT!
½ February 24, 2015
I wish to make such movie some day.
February 7, 2015
If cancer were pretentious is would be Garden State - Mr. Plinkett
February 2, 2015
Seldom come across this kinda smart flick...
January 30, 2015
Zach Braff's feature is a quirky, meditative piece on life, death and love. Full review later.
January 13, 2015
Loved the love story and the characters were well written not to mention the whole cinematography of the movie. plus gotta love that soundtrack
December 24, 2014
Oh, I loved this movie. It was great. I watched it once with a group of people and then three more after that.
December 15, 2014
A wonderfully kooky yet serious movie. Garden State is like a really great song. Each time you watch it you love it even more with amazing lead performances from Zach Braff and Natalie Portman it takes the film to even higher levels of brilliance!