Garden State - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Garden State Reviews

April 20, 2016
Pretty indie film with a great soundtrack. This does have a bit more substance than most.
½ April 14, 2016
Garden State is a remarkably surprising movie with pacing that is just as telling as the phenomenal acting by Zach Braff, Natalie Portman, and Peter Sarsgaard, who's role serves as the control that we set the dynamic and evolving lead's characters against.
½ April 14, 2016
If you don't think this film is something quite special then I suggest visiting a doctor for you are broken, my friend...
April 12, 2016
I've been waiting to see this movie ever since I got hooked on the soundtrack back in 2007. It's finally available on VidAngel and I was really excited to see this quirky story I had followed and youtubed.
Maybe it was because of being very indie and low budget, or maybe because it was Zach Braff's first attempt at writing and directing, but the movie had a lot of lost potential.
I found the overall concept to be very interesting. A 26 year old man has been wrongfully medicated since he was 10 and been completely numb to emotion because of it. His mom dies and he goes home to the funeral and doesn't take his medication while there, and begins to finally feel these lost emotions that he's been missing out on. If I were a producer and someone pitched that idea alone to me, I'd be captivated and hooked. Then, adding Natalie Portman as the nerdy, epileptic, pathological liar love interest to counter the weirdness of the protagonist....it's a great combo and they had good chemistry. For people being so used to seeing Natalie playing roles where she's awesome, this is a great role for her stepping outside of her comfort zone.
Anyway, halfway through the movie the plot took a turn and on the "last day" Zach Braff's character is in town it just goes downhill, almost like they didn't know how to make a good ending and just did a normal one.
Back to the concept of a medicated numb man finally experiencing emotion, I felt like there could have been a number of shots showing him finally coming up for air during these experiences when he is finally feeling again and crying, yet we don't see that. We see scenes showing how numb he is at the beginning of the movie, but none conveying the transformation.
In short....Garden State = Average movie. Amazing soundtrack.
March 24, 2016
Very impressed with Braff for his first-time directorial debut. Touching film.
½ March 11, 2016
A film that feels like a time capsule every time you watch it. Great Soundtrack and amazing performance from Natalie Portman and Zachary Braff.
January 8, 2016
Super cute. I �� Natalie Portman
October 22, 2015
I think I just fell in love with Natalie Portman
October 19, 2015
Garden State is Magical, vivid, concise and deep. Zach Braff at his best on an adventure with Natalie Portman and an amazing soundtrack and heart to back it up.
½ October 1, 2015
He's come a long way from his time on Scrubs, good movie, really enjoyed it dealing with relationships, love, friends and getting on with sh*t.
September 23, 2015
The years haven't been so kind to 2004 indie wunderkind "Garden State". While it was a gargantuan success upon release (it made back its budget a nauseating amount of times, got a Grammy for its soundtrack, and defined the twee indie romantic drama for a generation), critics, along with the public, have decided that it wasn't so good after all, preferring to be believe that it's actually a sickening, uninspired piece of whining hipster clichs. If it starred Zooey Deschanel instead of Natalie Portman, backlash prone audiences might roll their eyes with sarcastically lethal force.
Maybe it's the fact that I was born too late to consider it a masterpiece during its prime shelf life or maybe it's because I don't find quirky indie sparkle to be all too annoying unless whimsy becomes cloying - but I liked "Garden State", now-dated Coldplay songs, Manic Pixie Dream Girl-ness and all. I can understand the newfound hate - its tropes have become paralyzingly tired ever since Michael Cera's career died - but one has to remember that things weren't all cutely kooky before it crash landed into theaters, unless you count Hal Ashby's most eccentric moments of the 1970s. It stands as a likable product of the times, aged in its soundtrack but not in its emotional expression.
Writer/director Zach Braff, making his filmmaking debut, stars as Andrew Largeman, an immensely depressed 20-something living in Los Angeles in pursuit of a currently fledgling acting career. (His only screen credit consists of a retarded football player in a lackluster TV-movie). His heavily medicated world is rocked when his father (Ian Holm) brings news that his paraplegic mother has died, sending him back to New Jersey after nine years of intentionally staying far away from it. Emotionally numb, Andrew catches up with old friends with the enthusiasm of a cartoon donkey; he can hardly wait to escape his past once again and continue living miserably alone.
That all changes when he unintentionally meets Sam (Natalie Portman), an exuberant young woman with a habit of pathologically lying. With a charmingly outlandish outlook on life, she may be the bright spot needed to dig Andrew out of the pitch black well he's been living in for his entire existence; their mutual idiosyncrasies could repair themselves with a plentiful serving of cinematic love.
"Garden State" isn't perfect - it drifts back and forth between offbeat humor and sad-sack drama with a questionably twee exterior - but it has moments of relatable brilliance; thank God those moments are frequent instead of rare. Braff's sensitive but touchingly personal writing is vulnerable without being wimpy, funny without being crass; his direction, with just enough visual flair, travels along with impressive perceptiveness. His soundtrack has, in no doubt, aged, but we can't imagine a different sort of music playing as the characters reach thousands of mini-climaxes and discover themselves after years of believing the world had given up on them.
And while it may be Braff's vanity project, his acting is not what makes "Garden State" such an immediately likable film - its biggest asset is Portman, who brings a vivacious energy needed to make both Braff's Andrew, and the film's, mood go from blaring gloominess to infectious hope. She is lovable when everything else threatens to be a major downer. So say what you will about "Garden State": it works; the dusty soundtrack is as fitting as the inclusion of Portman's archetypal Manic Pixie Dream Girl. The backlash makes a certain sort of sense, but it's much too harsh when we live in a world that Iggy Azalea also inhabits. Don't run away in fear of incurring the wrath of Tumblr users - see this early-2000s classic. It'll be worth it.
½ September 21, 2015
Garden State is witty, cute, and full of charm. That's about it though.
½ September 16, 2015
Another film that altered the way I view films. Really the first "indie" film I saw that resonated with me outside of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Both of those films struck a balance between how I now view melancholy independent films and made me appreciate both the happy ending and the heartbreaking-but-more-likely-real endings of movies like Eternal Sunshine or Lost In Translation.
September 15, 2015
Great original, quirky movie. Loved it! And GREAT soundtrack to boot! :)
August 27, 2015
Charming film with a lot of depth and pretty sharp acting...Natalie Portman's character is so adorable , she will win you over after her first five minutes on screen ! 3 Stars
½ July 29, 2015
Funny and quirky comedy that has enough grace to carry five movies.
July 19, 2015
Garden State is not a perfect movie. There are many unlikable characters and some scenes seem a bit unneeded. But where the movie shines is the two main leads. Zach Braff is good as always and is able to handle writing, directing, and acting in stride and Natalie Portman is fantastic as a character I have never seen her play before. Where Garden State shines it really shines.
½ June 19, 2015
There isn't some big message or story behind this movie. it just is what it is, and it does it perfectly. With Braff & Portman taking the helm perfectly, and help a slightly loose narrative fall on it's feet gracefully.
½ May 31, 2015
"If cancer were pretentious, it would be Garden State."
½ May 22, 2015
Got it and watched for first time since theaters. I had in my mind as 4 now 2.5 after 10 year hiatus.