Garfield Christmas Special - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Garfield Christmas Special Reviews

December 2, 2015
It's easy to overlook the plot holes with time inconsistencies within other episodes and films when the film is this much fun at every age.
December 26, 2014
I don't care if my nostalgia is altering the score, the Garfield Christmas Special was the best Christmas special on TV, and I was jump around in my cute little bunny slippers and Garfield pajamas whenever it was on. The characters? Timeless. The plot? Plain, simple, but effective at getting the point of Christmas across. The art style? BEAUTIFUL and Whimsical for it's time. Just, perfect in every way!
December 25, 2014
Enjoyable Garfield animated Christmas capers in his usual style
November 12, 2013
Fantastic little video to watch not only to bring the Christmas spirit, but also to take you back to your childhood. Humourous and heartwarming.
November 11, 2013
One of the best and funniest Christmas specials of all time.
½ May 4, 2013
gramma makes me cry every time!
November 28, 2012
Absolutely brilliant. Cannot miss!
November 25, 2012
Watched this as a kid, can't wait to show my nieces and nephews.
November 19, 2012
Undoubtfully the best of the 3 holiday specials DVD.
½ October 23, 2012
One of the greatest forgotten Christmas specials of all time. Maybe not up there with the very best, but simply heartfelt and hilarious
½ July 24, 2012
Come on this is a classic! Garfield and Peanuts are the two shows to watch to bring in the holidays.
½ May 21, 2012
Back during the VHS saga, this film was demanded viewing every Christmas during my youth. When I look at it now, I see it still holds up pretty darned well, but gets uncomfortably cheesy in some spots. Though I still try to maintain a habit to watch it at LEAST once a year.
December 14, 2011
Charles Schulz's loveable loser, Charlie Brown, is one of America's favorite comic strip/cartoon characters. And his holiday tv specials are just as beloved. It could be argued that they're the most beloved of all holiday specials. That's especially the case with the original, A Charlie Brown Christmas. However, Charlie Brown isn't the only classic comic strip/cartoon character that boasts a Christmas special. Another classic comic strip/cartoon character that boasts its own holiday special is Jim Davis' furry friend, Garfield.

A Garfield Christmas has never gotten the airplay on television that A Charlie Brown Christmas gets every year. Why that's the case is anyone's guess, especially considering that Garfield even had his own Saturday morning cartoon series. That series--Garfield & Friends--ran for roughly seven seasons between the late 1980's and early 1990's. His comic strip still runs in newspapers nationwide today. So it's a surprise that A Garfield Christmas doesn't even run on ABC Family's 25 Days of Christmas, or on any other network. Thankfully though, the Garfield holiday collection is still in print, and available on dvd.

Clocking in at about half an hour, A Garfield Christmas is a great holiday special for the entire family. It's also a great special about the family. And the half hour run time is perfect for young children, as most kids start to get fidgety after about that length of time. The special emphasizes to audiences that "it's not about the giving. It's not about the getting. It's about the love". That's a simple statement. But it speaks volumes. One of the most important parts of Christmas is being with family. And the special's near Waltons-esque nostalgia developed from that message--and the general setting and story--really enhances that message. It makes it that much more enjoyable.

The positive message of the special isn't all that makes A Garfield Christmas so enjoyable. As minute a factor as it seems, the fact that it boasts hand drawn animation makes it that much more endearing to audiences. Unlike so many of today's cg-based movies and television specials, the hand drawn animation of the likes of Garfield give it its own identity. The animation for A Garfield Christmas (and Garfield & Friends, and the garfield comic strip) is nothing like any other hand drawn cartoons. That in itself develops an added feel of nostalgia. That added nostalgia makes A Garfield Christmas a solid, family friendly feature that no matter how many specials come and go, it'll continue to be relevant. And thanks to dvd, regardless of whether it ever gets airplay, it's such an endearing special that it'll live on long after other specials have faded away.
December 9, 2011
Before the advent of atrocious CGI, there were 2D animated Garfield cartoons. And they were awesome. Garfield's pessimistic and tired tone is somehow perfect for the Christmas season. It was great that they tried something that captures your average family Christmas, rather than trying to force characters into another adaptation of A Christmas Carol (as much as I do love that). Jon returns to his family farm for some simply sweet offerings of tradition. The mom cooks, and in one particularly humorous scene the dad is forced to read a children's Christmas story to his now grown sons. We also see Odie trying his hardest to make a gift for Garfield, and grandmother reminiscing about her deceased husband, in a heartfelt scene which never becomes schmaltzy. It does a lot in its 23 minutes, and is everything Christmas should be.
December 22, 2010
It was really good. I'm glad we got it. I think Gavin will like it as he gets older too.
December 5, 2010
Garfield was one of my favorites when I was younger so this takes me back and puts me in the Christmas mood!
½ March 29, 2010
Another friendly, Christmas short film for the kids that will enjoy.
½ November 25, 2005
The 'Garfield Christmas Special' is another one of those films from my childhood that were much enjoyed and much appreciated. As usual, 'Garfield' brings in some humor followed by some lessons on how to be a good boy. In this film, Garfield goes with Jon to the country to spend Christmas with Grandma. One of the events is Garfield getting a gift for Grandma and learning the true spirit of Christmas.

As always, 'Garfield' is enjoyable and educational for children. There is plenty of humor so the film does not 'talk down' the meaning of Christmas. Rather, it makes it enjoyable and makes it understood through emotion. I miss these old Christmas specials. I wish they would show them again.