Garfield Gets Real - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Garfield Gets Real Reviews

½ May 30, 2011
This film lacks pace, dialogue, and plot entirely. Even kids won't enjoy this.
May 21, 2011
Distinctive graphics and excellently written.
½ May 16, 2011
The CGI is something to get used to, but the movie's still very funny. It's still really Garfield as the story was written by Jim Davis. I would have loved to see this one in it's 3D version.
April 24, 2011
After a couple of so-so movies with my favourite cartoon cat, this movie started the evolution of the 3D Garfield in the right direction. Sets up The Garfield Show, and Garfield's Pet Force for content. Comic strips, Garfield and Friends, and Garfield Cat Tales is still the gold standard.
michael e.
½ February 4, 2011
Cheesy looking CG, but it had an interesting plot, great use of comic strip characters, and a great performance from Frank Welker as Garfield and Odie
January 11, 2011
December 16, 2010
Better than okay, just not good.
½ October 14, 2010
This film is far from being genius, but I will say that the plot was highly original. I love the idea of comics being together in one world and they treat comic strips like films. While the animation was abysmal, the film was decent enough to keep me interested.
September 19, 2010
this is a very fun and funny movie
September 5, 2010
Fairly lame Garfield story missing lots of essential elements of his and others characters.
September 2, 2010
featuring computer animation that would make tose knock off disney rip-oof cheep fests look on in shame. what could have been an interesting story was let down by the fact that thereal world and the world of the cartoon strip are indistinguashable, with some truely ugly animated characters. gets one star because i sniggered once.
½ May 26, 2010
Now, as of late this lazy, obese cat has gained a lot popularity as of late. Just recently he has craned out 3 new straight to DVD movies, and a new tv series on Cartoon Network. Now there are three new movies that were recently released. The first is 'Garfield Gets Real', which is the topic of this review. The second is called 'Garfield's Fun Fest', which was unspeakably awful, and don't get me wrong, I REALLY wanted to review Fun Fest, it would have been a great review, but I can't due to circumstances beyond my control. Then, one day while looking through a local Blockbuster I saw the DVD cover of the third move, "Garfield's Pet Force". I stared at the cover of the DVD, laughed my ass off at how ridiculously stupid it looks and walked away, and I never saw it. Well, because I can't review Fun Fest, I'll do the next best thing: Garfield Gets Real.
Anyway, the movie involves Garfield [voiced by the god of cartoon voices Jim Cummings.] and Odie [voiced by Greg Berger] getting readyto go to work. WAIT WHAT? Garfield and Odie go to work? Aren't they just pets? Well, instead of the usual Garfield universe [I'll try my best to explain this, 'cause its really complicated] Garfield lives in a universe where all comic strip characters live. Basically, its their daily job to 'film comic strips' and ship them tonewspapers around the world. I have to admit, that's mildly creative, but, well, let's keep going. Garfield is depressed because he's sick of being in a comic strip, WHAT?!?! Dude, you have an awesome job! You don't have to pay taxes, do homework, or anything, just walk in, take a few picture, grab a giant paycheck and walk out! Well, when Garfield gets to work [accompioned by Odie and Jon] we meet the other comic strip characters. Calvin and Hobbs? NO! Pearls Before Swine? NO! The Buckets? NO! Instead we get a group of characters from unreal comic strips. First off there is Billy Bear and Randy Rabbit. A talking bear and a talking rabbit...let's hear it for origionality. So, yeah, after a comic if filmed [which takes about all of 45 seconds of a day, so I can't see why Garfield is whining], it is sucked into a portal to the 'real world' so he can expierence it. Sadly, Garfiled can't find a way back inAd if he can't get back in time, his comic strip will be dscontinued.
When this movie isn't being boring, it's being silly, due to its stupidity. All I can say is its time the fat cat put something back: this movie in the garbage.
May 24, 2010
I would be honest in saying that this is actually a cute film but still, its absolutely stupid. If i watched this 9 years ago (which makes me 5) I wouldve thought this was cool but it certainly is not. How much animated films are going to show us more crap?
April 29, 2010
graficamente, é muito bom (com exceção do john, bizarro), mas a história deixa um pouco a desejar.
½ April 20, 2010
Everybody knows the smart-aleck overweight cat Garfield. He has an owner named John, has a dog who he lives with named Odie, and talks in thought bubbles. But what you didn't know about Garfield was "Garfield Gets Real", Garfield's initial jump into the realm of CGI. But with horrible animation, stale jokes, and one-star actors in tow, you would wish this tiger-striped feline would never make his way into 3-D in the first place.

STORY

This movie's first scene is when the lazy kitten himself wakes up from sleep. Garfield completes his daily routine, then out to the comic center to make the funnies. While on the job, Garfield wishes he could take a break from his job and become a real cat. When Garfield stumbles into the real world, he's amazed. From this storyline, Garfield Gets Real spawned 2 sequels.

The story is what all Garfield fans have dreamed of, since they weren't satisfied with the original Garfield movie in 2004. This movie was not the big dream. In fact, Cartoon Network saw how "great" the show is and made an awful cartoon based off it.

ACTING

The acting makes you want to drown kittens, no joke. Garfield sounds like he is on a drug high and posessed by Satan. All the newspaper comic characters in the movie sound even worse, making you never to read the newspaper again. Garfield Gets Real tells you a clear message why Garfield's voice actor should never be replaced. This movie will make the Newspaper Comics section haunt your dreams.

QUALITY

The DVD cover says that Garfield Gets Real uses "amazing CGI animation". Garfield Gets Real looks like a bad game on the Nintendo Gamecube. How much time was put into this movie was awfully short, only making the animation for the movie in less than a few minutes. The quality of Garfield Gets Real will leave you crawling on all fours.

DVD

Garfield Gets Real was a straight-to-DVD release, but that factor still makes it a terrible movie. The DVD features are downright bad.

SUMMARY

It was a huge mistake for PAWS Inc. to make a worse movie than the first two Garfields. We thought we had enough of this cartoony cat in 2007, but PAWS just wanted to make Garfield Gets Real into a separate movie franchise and a TV show. Nice job, Garfield.
April 6, 2010
My 8 yr old loves this and can watch it countless times, eyes transfixed, mesmerised and wonderstruck.

why kids love this film so much is a mystery, because it is dire.

i asked my daughter why she loves it so much. Her answer?

"I don't know."

Mysterious!
½ March 29, 2010
This is a flicking CGI film that kids will watch again and again.
½ February 16, 2010
Its a tripped out movie
½ December 30, 2009
Garfield gets real. How?

"Garfield Gets Real" is a 3D animation about Garfield, being a fictional character, getting lost in the real world.

Honestly, I don't know how Garfield can go "Huh, what is this strange place?" when he gets lost in a world with characters that look exactly like him and the people in his world. I'm not sure if bad 3D quality makes it look that way, but even that Siamese cat, his awkard dog friend and female cat-dog friend Garfield meets in the real world are more a cartoon than he is.
Plus they both "talk"; how can that freak be more real than Garfield? Just because everyone knows he appears in comics in the newspaper?

It's not a movie I completely hate, I'm a Garfield whore. The basic plot is just great, and it could have been a very popular movie if was performed right.
December 11, 2009
niestety slaby, jak kazdy pelnometrazowy Garfield