Garry Winogrand: All Things are Photographable Reviews

• Jun 09, 2019

The power of this documentary on the acclaimed photographer Garry Winogrand is in the incredibly striking and remarkable photos that are presented here. Known as a "street photographer", Winogrand passed away in 1984 at the age of 56. He left thousands of rolls of undeveloped film, and posthumously there have been a number of exhibitions displaying his work. The film, directed by Sasha Waters Freyer, follows pretty much the standard doc form with some personal history of Winogrand, archival clips, and interviews with his contemporaries, family, and friends. But those amazing photos captured by Winogard's most talented eye left me wanting to know the backstory on nearly every one of them. To note: no subtitles available except when Winogrand was giving a lecture or being interviewed, but I was able to use the closed caption option on my remote to obtain them.