Gaslight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gaslight Reviews

½ April 16, 2012
Not bad version of classic story but missing the mystique and chemistry of the Ingrid Bergman/Charles Boyer take of the same story. Part of the problem is that Walbrook is too obviously cruel and twisted right from the start instead of the more subtle approach taken by Boyer. Also while Diana Wynyrd was a fine actress she did not have the star charisma of Bergman which pulled you into the heroine's dilemma.
December 15, 2011
MGM famously tried to destroy this film's negatives so it wouldn't compete with its own 1944 remake starring Charles Boyer and Angela Lansbury. Good thing they didn't, because we wouldn't have the great fortunate of watching the darker side of Anton Walbrook. His villainy may be a little over-the-top, but he does it with such conviction, commitment, and stature that I bought it 100%. If that isn't a testament to how great of an actor he was, I don't know what is.
½ November 28, 2011
A wonderfully evil main character that at times looks crazed...and it works. Great performances all around. The black and white sets such a great, dark mood as Paul is trying to drive his wife into insanity, so he can discredit her and anything she says. Pure Evil in my books.
July 8, 2011
Friday, July 8, 2011

(1940) Gaslight

First theatrical version of the Patrick Hamilton play which focuses on a just married husband's goal to drive his wife insane while looking for some emeralds at the same time! Quite well done!

3 out of 4
December 31, 2010
Walbrook was positively evil.
½ November 21, 2010
Nothing special. Fucking Netflix sent this version to me instead of the Ingrid Bergman version. It makes for a marginally compelling tale of deception and murder, but Bella's husband is so over-the-top evil that they should have made his mustache a little longer so he could twist it. Bella herself is mostly ineffectual and whiny, and though you obviously feel sorry for her as she's trapped in this perverse psychological game, she doesn't really offer any interesting insight into her predicament or mental state. She's just a crazy lady with a controlling husband living in a house where an old lady died. It's basically a Victorian Gothic paint-by-numbers.
November 5, 2010
Yes, the acting is solid and there is some decent suspense in this old thriller but the female protagonist written as someone who was so weak and totally trusting of a creepy husband irked me to no end.
½ October 18, 2010
Gaslight (1940) A man with a sinister secret tries to convince his wife that she is mad; a dreadful fate in Victorian England that meant that she would be sent to a lunatic asylum. Anton Walbrook plays a wonderful villain, a man who would do anything in pursuit of his secret.
½ October 3, 2010
Anton Walbrook seems far more sinister than Charles Boyer did in the later Hollywood release. Thank goodness this version survived in spite of MGM's repeated attempts to destroy it.
August 2, 2010
I think the Ingrid Bergman Gaslight is also very good, but I liked a lot of things about this one. Anton Walbrook is especially good - he's scarier than Boyer, by a mile.
July 29, 2010
The zestful performance from Walbrook is worth a look and the for the period it was made, it is a strong psychological drama.
January 23, 2010
The first on screen adaptation of Patrick Hamilton's play of the same name. A psychological thriller that spawned the actual term "gaslighting".

This movie was remade in America 4 years later with American stars, needless to say this version was probably better.
April 13, 2009
Watched this thinking it was the 1944 version but this was still excellent! The acting was superb, especially the actress who played Bella. Wallbrook had that really creepy quality that made this movie all that much more suspenseful and believable too.
January 23, 2009
A good movie, but I remember enjoying the remake better. I'll have to try and find it somewhere to watch it again to make sure.
January 13, 2009
accidentally watched this one instead of the one with the famous people...excellent film! the husband is incredibly creepy and it is a great movie for suspense and general yelling at the tv excitement
December 3, 2008
Anton Walbrook is way creepy. I was creeped out by Charles Boyer, but Walbrook took creepiness to another level.
September 23, 2008
Dark, perfectly paced...this film made me an Anton Walbrook fan for life.
½ July 3, 2008
Much preferable to the remake.
Great atmosphere and acting.
April 10, 2008
There is no party like a west coast party because Tupac sucks.
½ March 29, 2008
Excellence! I want to see the other version now to compare it.