Gator - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gator Reviews

June 29, 2016
Sequel to "White Lighting" comes off as a comedy and a satire of itself.
½ June 28, 2016
Sequel has title character helping feds catch criminals.
February 15, 2016
Gator is pure guilty pleasure. Burt Reynolds directed and stared in this 1976 follow up to the excellent WHITE LIGHTNING. This time the feds don't want Gator for running moonshine, but to go undercover to get evidence on his boyhood pal Bama McCall (Jerry Reed). Lots of action , fighting, boat chases and Reynolds signature style.
January 9, 2016
Reprising his role from the film White Lightning, Gator returns, again pressured by the law into going undercover to get the goods on an old friend of his turned criminal. The villain this time around is played by Jerry Reed, who is awesome as the criminal mastermind.

There's bits of schtick in here that lessen the drama at times, but overall it's a fine sequel and worth a look.

Rental.
August 3, 2015
This was an entertaining film, a sequel to "White Lightning", not much of a story but it gets by on the charm of Reynolds and Jerry Reed. Worth a watch if you're a fan of Burt.
½ April 23, 2015
Gator is the 1976 sequel to the moderately successful White Lightning from 1973. Starring and also directed by Burt Reynolds (his first directorial effort), the movie follows up on the character several years later. I didn't care much for the first film, mainly because I felt it took itself too seriously. And while some do feel that the sequel is superior, both films feel as if they're on the same level for the most part. The main difference is that Gator feels more clunky and not quite as ironed out as its predecessor, but on the other hand, there's more to connect with this time around. Reynolds' character is given more sufficient motivation for his actions and the characters are less one-dimensional. Even Jerry Reed's villainous character seems to have a little more going on upstairs than your usual bad guy character in these types of movies. However, the story and the way that it carries itself out doesn't seem to flow very well, mainly because of a lack of a solid tone. It's not sure whether it wants to be lighthearted or dark and brooding. There's an even an attempt in the middle of the film to have a love story, which feels just as out of place as the ending of the film. It all feels forced and unnecessary most of the time. A budding, tacked-on love story mixed with southern-fried hijinks, murder rampages, and a lifeless plot makes for a very uneven film.
January 28, 2015
"Even though it's the sequel, I think it's actually the stronger of the two films."
November 27, 2014
when Burt Reynolds was a true badass. Jerry Reed pretty awesome too.
May 1, 2014
3 years after the surprise success of White Lightning (1973), United Artists wanted to do a sequel, but Burt Reynolds, now REALLY famous, was reluctant, United Artists made him an offer they couldn't refuse, Reynolds took them up on that offer, but only on the condition he could direct the film as well. While Reynolds shows he has what it takes behind the camera, the film is overlong and sags badly. Gator McKlusky (Reynolds) now lives a quiet existance in a swamp in Arkansas with his father (John Steadman) and Suzie (Lori Futch) making moonshine. However, it's not long before he's smoked out by the Feds, but it turns out they need him again, this time to bring down corrupt politician Bama McCall (Jerry Reed), a small time racketeer who has got lucky, and has managed to become a politician, working in the county of Dunston, Georgia. As Gator knew McCall years ago, he reluctantly agrees to help out, but he's soon lured into a game of set-ups and skulduggery, but he's helped by TV reporter Aggie Maybank (Lauren Hutton). It's a shame this sequel doesn't match up to White Lightning, as it started off with one hell of an amazing boat chase, but after this, it just sort of fizzles out and there's not enough action this time around, but Reynolds and the film's second unit director Hal Needham would work together the following year....
½ April 19, 2014
Awful! very bad movie
November 28, 2013
I believe this is one of burt reynolds best movies the rotten reviewer I don't know by their comment but they sound like they didn't really watch the movie
August 24, 2013
vigorous ride of revenge, friendship and violence in the south of Florida, a fast and powerful movie--Burt steps behind the camera for the first time!!
½ May 11, 2013
Burt Reynolds is 'Gator McKlusky! Do you really need to read anything else to know that you want to see this movie? Well, if you do, Burt is ex-con, moonshine runner Gator McKlusky, who's let out of jail to bring down evil crime lord, Jerry Reed. The film is an uneven mess, but he action is okay and there's a colorful cast of character actors that populate the film, which make it worth watching. The film is Burt's directorial debut, but I do think he'd later go on to direct some solid films, like "Stick" and "Sharkey's Machine." This film has some great scenes here and there, particularly one with Burt and Lauren Hutton on a beach that almost transcends the goofiness of the rest of the film, but the film really can't decide if it wants to be an action, a comedy, a drama or a romance. But don't feel too bad for Burt and Jerry who would find the right balance with their next film, "Smokey and the Bandit," which happened to be directed by Hal Needham, who did stunt coordination and second unit work on this film. One big plus for this film is the fine photography by William A. Fraker (Rosemary's Baby, Bullitt, Tombstone). However, this film is really only for fans of Burt (which I count myself among).
½ April 19, 2013
White Lightning which was the first installment of Gator McKlusky movies Starring Burt Reynolds was a good enough effort, but lacked alot of action,suspense and was very light on humor. I'm happy to say that Gator is one hell of an action packed, well paced, hilariously funny Burt Reynolds film. This was filmed during the mid 70s right before Burt's shot into super stardom with Smokey and The Bandit, and you can tell Mr.Reynolds is in his prime during this period.
Right out the gate the movie starts off with a fantastic action scene that involves a boat chase in the bayou, showing Burt could do his own stunts back in the day. The plot centers around the fact that the local governor is using McKlusky yet again to go after a former friend... Bama McCall played by Jerry Reed because he owes some taxes and is suspected of indulging in some unsavory business practices. I made a comment in my other review for White Lightning saying that Ned Beatty the bad guy in that was very non threatening and not dangerous at all. Jerry Reed plays the total scumbag complete with southern drawl and violent temper. Reed shows off his stunt man fighting skills a couple times in this and I must say I was extremely impressed. He played the heavy just wonderfully and gave Burt a run for his money along with his creepy Henchmen, one played by a 7 foot tall monster of a man. Veteran character actor Jack Weston does a great job playing the fish outta water NYC detective, hired by the local governor to locate and blackmail McKlusky into going after his friend. Weston and Reynolds really work well as a comedic team, and I would have liked to see more movies with them together. Lauren Hutton Plays the sexy female lead back in her glory days as a leading actress and did a good enough job, but nothing super special. I really liked how the film would have these laugh out loud moments,then go to a super serious scene that usually involved some real issues such as underage prostitution,poverty and drug use. All in all this film was well balanced with the comedy,action and drama. Not to mention this was Burt Reynolds first directing gig and I would have to say this was one hell of a way to start out. Reynolds does a few creative shots, and the lighting is actually shot better here than in the previous film. The action scenes were just works of art if you're a fan of boat chases and bar fights. I'll also add that I really dug the 70s southern funk soundtrack. Jerry Reed also did the awsome theme song that starts during the opening credits.
Pretty much If you're a fan of 70s action comedies and like your movies with a bit of a southern flavor, you can't go wrong with Gator.
½ April 28, 2012
Burton Gilliam is my fave in this movie. Jerry Reed's "Gator" song is great as well.
September 9, 2011
What little story there is in Gator quickly yields to the fact that this is just another chance for Burt Reynolds to be awesome, not that that is a bad thing, but it does hold it back from being better.
½ August 26, 2011
June 30, 2011
More fun than the original.
April 19, 2011
The sequel to White Lightning is perhaps even more awkward and silly, making me once again question what the deal was with the world when Burt Reynolds was king. Typical Reynolds dullard humor, a few genuinely good action scenes with lots of stuntmen nearly getting killed, and some bloody awful music. But 'twas all in good fun. Still, the movie felt like it wanted to be more violent and sexy, but never quite gets there.
½ April 18, 2011
I haven't even seen the original "White Lighting" and I don't think I'll bother now. There were no redeeming qualities in this film. A few great boat jumping stunts, using visible stunt doubles, was not enough.