Gator - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gator Reviews

½ April 18, 2011
I haven't even seen the original "White Lighting" and I don't think I'll bother now. There were no redeeming qualities in this film. A few great boat jumping stunts, using visible stunt doubles, was not enough.
April 11, 2011
I don't know what Archer is talking about.
½ October 25, 2010
The sequel to the fairly good White lightning is in two words Absolutely Terrible .

While the first film hasd a tight plot and plenty of action ,this feels like a bad rehash of the same old shit with a rambling plot very little action and crap dilaogue.

Reynolds the director should have had words with Reynolds the actor for appearing in such garbage and while it made him a huge star would end up trapping ihim in the same tired old genre comedies with Only Sharkys Machine as a high amongst many many more lows.

Nothing works here from a speed boat chase with little chase to some very poor comedy relief bad guys .

Do your self a huge favour and stay away from this dross at all costs
December 12, 2009
GREAT MOVIE. they dont make them like this anymore
October 17, 2009
Waaaay better then White Lightning
October 16, 2009
The moonshine runner Gator McKlusky (Burt Reynolds) is back in the Glades, taking care of his daughter after his prison sentence. The government official Irving Greenfield (Jack Weston) is on the trail of Gator and eventually he catches him. Greenfield forces Gator to help him get evidence against Gators old friend, Bama McCall (Jerry Reed), an organized crime kingpin with no scruples. During Gators investigations, he finds all sorts of seedy things, but he finds as well true attraction to the local news reporter, Aggie Maybank (Lauren Hutton).

I saw the first Gator movie "White Lightning" last year, and I was not that impressed, despite the fact that Burt Reynolds is one of my old favourite actors. But, I think that "Gator" is even less impressive. This is a mish mash of action, comedy, love and drama coming from a script with holes bigger than a swiss cheese. I think that Mr. Reynolds took upon himself a tad bit much when he directed this movie as well. His first I believe. And it is quite clear that he was a rookie as a director at this point, compared to later on when he was doing a great job with for example "Sharkys Machine". Strange angles, weird handheld shots and ugly close ups plus some very so so acting in general. "Gator" is just a mess and not that entertaining. Ok, Reynolds is never really bad, Jerry Reed was for sure an interesting character (I did not know about his true career as a musician until now, and I must say wow!) and I have always felt that Lauren Hutton has something special. But, this trio can not really save 'Gator". My biggest satisfaction from this movie was Jerry Reeds title song "Gator". Just bloody brilliant!!!
½ August 30, 2009
Hilarious comedy from the mid-seventies. Very cliched at times, but genuinely funny at the same time. I thought some elements were a bit too serious and/or melodramatic for a film so full of slapstick-like fun (Gator should have gotten the girl in the end; Greenfield shouldn't have died, etc.). But what the heck: it is really funny - how can you even invent characters like Smiley and Bones? This is just good fun, full stop.
August 12, 2009
Typical 1970's Burt Reynolds film, "good ole boys" getting into trouble with tons of needless crashes and chases. A completely pointless film, only mildy entertaining in a stupid sort of way.
½ July 19, 2009
I've been a Burt Reynolds fan since I was a kid and this was another of his classics. A great cast of characters and some great action scenes. Jerry Reed is great as the evil crime boss.
July 6, 2009
I like Burt Reynolds. Sue me.
May 10, 2009
an ok movie about organized crime down south. it's a little bit action, a little bit drama, a little bit comedy with the result being a movie that's too long and too thin - in terms of substance. at almost 2 hours long the pacing is too slow. at least 15 minutes could have been trimmed and i think it would've been a better movie. some cool stunts in this movie.
March 5, 2009
I had to watch this. The info button claimed it had "redneck crime".
December 9, 2008
it was old but burt looked good in it, lol
½ December 5, 2008
I won't say this was a good movie but I won't say this was bad either. It's not as good as White Lightning but I kinda liked it but I thought some of it was kinda dumb but it was an okay story of redneck crimes and stuff in it but I didn't see many car chase type scenes in this movie as I would see in a Burt Reynolds movie and Country & Western musician Jerry Reed who would later be Snowman in the Smokey & The Bandit movies with Burt Reynolds I just couldn't see him as a bad guy in this movie either.
September 12, 2008
I did not love this movie nearly as much as I did "White Lightning". A lot of the magic that made that first movie so great is just not here. The dirty rural southern atmosphere, Ned Beatty, R.G. Armstrong, the awesome car and ,of course, the shine. This sequel also is not as serious as the original. They throw in some comic relief via Alice Ghostley and the Burt in this movie is more of the lighter fare Burt than the serious Burt in his earlier movies. The romantic relationship between Burt and Hutton also manages to really slow down and drag out the second half of the movie making the movie a bit overlong. All those things said, it is still enjoyable and worth a watch. Jerry Reed is great as the southern gangster Bama McCall. He also performs the title song. Hal Needham did the second unit direction on this film as he did in "White Lightning".
cancercapricorn2002
½ September 3, 2008
Three years after the hixploitation moonshining classic "White Lightning", Burt Reynolds's again portrayed Gator McKlusky in "Gator", but this time he was behind the camera as well in his directorial debut. Anyway, this time around Gator has just been released from federal prison for moonshining when he is asked to help the police nab a crooked politician.

Although not as good as "White Lightning", "Gator" is still a fun little film none the less. First off, Reynolds's is excellent in his role, he give a cool and calm performance that makes Gator a pretty easy hero to root for while watching this film. In addition the car chases are pretty sweet and exiting. I also thought Jerry Reed gave a excellent and slimy performance as the crooked Bama McCall. Now, as I said before "Gator" is not as good as "White Lightning" and certainly has its flaws. For one thing, the run time of just under two hours was a bit much and therefore the movie drags here and there, especially towards the end. Secondly and this is a big problem for me, the DVD is in full screen until for some odd reason it switches to wide screen format for the closing credits. That's a real shame because this movie was made to be shown in widescreen as the closing credits demonstrate. Despite those flaws though, "Gator" is still none the less an enjoyable film if not essential viewing.
August 26, 2008
if u like smokey and bandit u will love this one
June 4, 2008
Burt Reynolds and Jerry Reed should have made a lot more movies like this! They pair up great in a movie. They play old friends, and enemies at the same time! Love the music too.
½ April 12, 2008
I had a weird crush on Jerry Reed as a kid...hell, I still do.

this movie was dark and awesome as all hell.
April 8, 2008
This is a Rambler the buck toothed tiger.