The Gauntlet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Gauntlet Reviews

½ September 2, 2013
Our home away from home Dirty Harry film. Everything we love about him is there. Clint and Sondra are perfect on screen together and the chemistry is genuine. Filled with a lot of action, humor and explosions this is sure to guarantee all fans an non fans of Eastwood alike.
August 31, 2013
I own this on DVD and Blu-Ray
July 15, 2013
Good movie. Cool, action-packed, funny, with a great performance from Eastwood.
½ June 30, 2013
Does death, mayhem, shooting and gambling tickle your fancy? If so, I would recommend this one because it has all of that.
June 17, 2013
Fine action film with exciting scenes and a good story behind it, which is difficult to find in this genre. Once again, Clint Eastwood rules.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ June 6, 2013
Clint Eastwood is one of Hollywood's most bad assed actors. Along with Charles Bronson, he has carved a career out of playing some memorable tough guys. In The Gauntlet he plays a no nonsense cop who escorts a prisoner and protect her from the mob. This is an exciting and well crafted film that is action packed, and humorous throughout with direction from Clint Eastwood, who keeps you entertained due to a well written script and effective performances from Eastwood himself and lead actress Sondra Locke. This is a worthwhile film for Eastwood fans, and is sure to thrill old school action fans. The Gauntlet is a solid picture that is entertaining from start to finish. Clint Eastwood is great here and ands he proves once again that he is an icon of cinema. When a film lover thinks tough guys, Clint Eastwood is usually at the top of the list. His acting is always entertaining, and his performance is always something to watch. He may have kind of been typecast as a bad ass in Hollywood, but he never disappoints. This is one of the finer films of the 1970's starring Eastwood, and aside from the Dirty Harry films, covers similar ground, but reinvents the formula quite a bit. The Gauntlet is fun entertainment that you shouldn't pass up and if you love straight forward action, then this is a film worth checking out. The Gauntlet is one of the most memorable action flicks of the 70's, and with a smart script, great cast and wonderful direction, it is among Eastwood's best directed features of that era.
½ May 29, 2013
Decent cop drama / prisoner escape / corrupt cop film - well directed by Eastwood with a decent plot and action. Eastwood is very much in the Callahan mindset and the film is a decent one and well made.
½ April 2, 2013
Kind of a "Dirty Harry" and "anyway but loose" mixture.
March 24, 2013
Okay, that is one epic poster going on there. There was probably a good 5 star movie in here, but oh what a bad editor can do to a great film.

I will say Eastwood is fantastic here. He takes bullets like it's nothing, he smacks around women and he has a great quick wit throughout the film.

Sondra Locke is also quite great. I've never seen her before, and I expect to see her a lot as I start finding more Eastwood films to watch. I guess they were lovers for awhile and made a many of films together. She's sassy, sexy and not afraid to stop a fight but ripping her shirt off!!!

Of all things it's the action scenes that kill this film. They are really drawn out and completely unbelievable. A helicopter is chasing you with a sniper taking shots, so you drive ten minutes in the desert???

And the whole ending was such garbage. I wish they had made the action scenes actually move and be somewhat based in reality and this could have been a classic!
½ February 2, 2013
What an amazingly bad finale! A complete let down in the action and logic departments. Clint Eastwood directing at it's worse.
January 28, 2013
An odd case of a film that has all the elements that I like, but just doesn't hold together for me. It's like the film just lacks a certain cohesive energy and ambles along without ever clicking. I think it's one of those films who's wavelength you have to hit just right.
January 23, 2013
This is could very well be the best Clint Eastwood film that I have ever seen. It's a little over the top at times but it's so entertaining with some great action and great performances. I also loved the cinematography a lot. Definitely a classic.
January 11, 2013
Clint Eastwood in his early directing years, dishing out a fun, enjoyable cop film...
November 18, 2012
An absurdly entertaining action-thriller. A slam-bang entertainment ride that's filled with enough action, suspense, comedy and surprising romance for two films. An explosive and over the top adrenaline-rush from start to finish. Clint Eastwood stars and directs this hard-edged action film and brings on yet another great performance, totally departing himself from Dirty Harry and into and new and exciting police character. It`s just good old explosive fun. Eastwood and Locke are tremendous.
½ November 16, 2012
R-R-E-E-A-A-L-L-Y-Y slow moving with a lazy editing style that drags and drags and drags. It's also ridiculously false... but it's still eastwood, so there's that...
½ November 13, 2012
It's a lively sparring match between Clint Eastwood's stalwart by-the-book disposition and Sondra Locke's gritty zest...the pounding tension of the final gun barrage may be the greatest discharge of bullets to ever appear on screen.
½ October 27, 2012
Eastwood as a cop sent to Vegas to transport a female prisoner to Arizona to testify at a trial. Bookies are giving huge odds they don't make it alive. Sort of submarines itself at the end with a questionable police shooting line to stop the bus.
October 2, 2012
Love this movie. The plot and premise is a lot of fun. Also has one of best one-liners uttered by Eastwood.
October 1, 2012
Still a winner after all these years! Really inventive for its time.