Gay Sex in the 70s Reviews

• Mar 16, 2018

What a waste of film.

What a waste of film.

• Mar 19, 2016

Do we learn anything here ? I guess not i'm afraid !

Do we learn anything here ? I guess not i'm afraid !

• Mar 04, 2016

Seems things go full circle when you see what young lads are up to nowadays.

Seems things go full circle when you see what young lads are up to nowadays.

• Feb 05, 2014

Going into this movie I was expecting the least, although I was interested in the "Gay Scene" after the wide oppression leading up to the 70's, I know that the 70's was the decade that gays "came out" and felt more free. Again I was interested in the lives of these people before the widespread phenomenon of the Aids virus. I wasn't expecting to be coming out of this with as much admiration as I feel for it right now. The movie documents the Gay sex/club scenes in America (primary state being New York) the best thing for me was hearing what actual 70's club-goers were saying, how they were going into details of their personal experiences, sexually and emotionally. For the most part I have gathered that gay life during this period was crazier than you would expect, to bring up one of the points in the film, they tell us about how you would walk down the street and you'd be "cruised" that would then lead to being "took around the corner" or to the nearest public bathrooms. If you're thinking about watching it and like me, you're not involved in the "gay scene" at all, don't let the title put you off, for this was an extremely interesting watch and for me I highly recommend it. The only faults being that it was too short!

• Nov 28, 2011

i half felt very pure and clean after this, and half felt jealous of living in the 70's. my sex drive is far too low for that life but the liberation and coziness would be something... sans HIV :(

• Sep 20, 2011

Lots of interviews & good photos, some footage. Very much a documentary, but really interesting & not sensationalised at all.

• Apr 03, 2011

Dokumentären känns aningen intern, mycket "fan va fint det var förr" men jag antar att känns så för folk som varit med om en nationell frigörelse.

• Aug 16, 2010

Interesting archival insight into the whys and wherefores of a hedonistic underground gay scene in 1970's New York which then culminated in the advent of AIDS.

• Jun 26, 2010

One caveat with Lovett's film is that it's almost entirely Manhattan-centric: very much "Gay Sex in the City in the 70s", there's little on what it might have been like to grow up gay in the sticks, where there weren't any gyms or baths or Fire Island to hang around; the idea everyone was out and proud and getting some (if not, indeed, loads) surely throws a rainbow-coloured blanket over some of the trickier stories that might have been told... The formal slack is taken up by Lovett's evocative deployment of archive footage and photography: candid period snapshots showing consenting adults getting up to all manner of naughtiness on rooftops, in windows and steamrooms and - of course - on the dancefloor. Any voyeuristic tendencies are offset by the personal nature of the testimony collated: explicit at some points, yes, but reflective at others (particularly towards the end, as the first lesions begin to make themselves manifest), it manages to overturn a few of the stereotypes and assumptions we've come to associate with the era. That said, one of the interviewees turns out to have actually been *in the navy*; if I knew how to scream, my friends, I would have.

• May 09, 2010

Very intersting take on a time that is completly a mystery to someone not old enough to have experienced it.