Gedo senki (Tales from Earthsea) Reviews

• 5d ago

Muddled film, stuff seems to just happen, characters do things that make no sense. Quite a disappointing film if not outright terrible.

• Jan 26, 2021

Tales From Earthsea has exceptional animation as always from Hayao Miyazaki, but a subpar plot that delves more into backstory and history rather than what is going on with the characters. Furthermore, the plot was confusing, and ultimately led to me disliking a large number of the characters.

• Jan 04, 2021

A miserable experience rife with every fantasy cliche. Goro Miyazaki's fantasy anime Tales from Earthsea (2006) is truly awful. An overly long, boring mess that rips off every fantasy imaginable and in the most bland fashion possible. This 2 hour long story could have been told in 20 minutes. It's amazing because they stretch out this lame, ambiguous narrative without ever giving context, background, or explanations for anything. I cannot believe that iconic anime editor Takeshi Seyama cut Tales from Earthsea as every scene goes on for 5 minutes too long. He must have fallen asleep while editing Earthsea because he really could have halved this movie into something watchable with some precision cuts and creative editing. Goro's direction is a far cry from his legendary director father Hayao Miyazaki. I'm sure he wants to impress his dad with his movie, but Tales from Earthsea is so slow that I nearly feel asleep. It's also false advertising as you see dragons in the promotions for Tales from Earthsea, but there's only two dragon scenes that are each maybe a minute long. The majority of Tales from Earthsea consists of literal hours of farming, walking, and moping about this dreary fantasy land. Honestly, I genuinely hated Tales from Earthsea because of the terrible writing. I'm sure Ursula K. Le Guin's original fantasy novels on Earthsea are full of magic and wizardry, but Goro Miyazaki and Keiko Niwa's script is so dry and lifeless. Our archmage character casts one actual spell and it's just a ripoff of Gandalf's shining light spell from The Lord of the Rings. The laughable villain casts mind controlling spells with ease, but then cannot defeat a single boy with a sword. Everything just happens with no explanations or context, so that the entire time you are confusing while watching Tales from Earthsea. The movie opens up with an exciting dragon attack, then immediately turns into a dull adventure with poverty, slavery, and farming. There's so much farming in Tales from Earthsea that I'd say it's really just an awful drama with no sincerity or emotion. You just cannot take it seriously as our supposed hero Prince Arren is introduced to us with him murdering his father the king for reason and no motivation is provided later. Studio Ghibli's normally gorgeous hand drawn animation is really dull. The colors are bland and washed out, the motions are so stilted, the designs lack detail or life. The character designs are so generic, they could be from any old anime series or movie. I'd go so far as to say Tales from Earthsea is pretty ugly to look at honestly. Atsushi Tamura, Hidenori Shibahara, and Junji Yabuta are all credited as cinematographers because it really took 3 different guys to shoot Tales from Earthsea as forgettable and hideously as possible. Yoji Takeshige's art direction looks uninspired with designs that could be from any number of anime movies. Tales from Earthsea came out in 2006, but looks more like 1983. Takeshi Imamura's visual effects are tough to witness as his shimmering sword and dragon embers look great, then the bad guy's disformed body looks rough at best. If Tales from Earthsea wasn't bad enough, Tamiya Terashima's score is pretty uninspired. There should be huge swells of orchestration for a fantasy epic like what Tales from Earthsea aspires to be, but the music quietly plods along or disappears altogether for a majority of the feature. I have to mention that the main theme sounds exactly like the lead melody from Lawrence of Arabia's iconic score. Timothy Dalton tries his best to make his farming archmage wizard seem not like a complete joke. His character does nothing. Willem Dafoe does this ridiculous whisper voice the entire time as the villain hilariously called Cobb. Matt Levin sounds like he's dead as Prince Arren. Mariska Hargitay is wasted as a foolish farming lady. She actually sounds bored while she's speaking. Cheech Marin is the only guy that sounds like he's having fun as the lecherous toadie to Cobb. His gleeful jeers at the pain he causes are funny, whether he's taunting the heroes or finding joy in horrifying sequences like slave catching. In short, I sincerely wish Goro Miyazaki the best and hope he finds his passion for writing and directing, so that we may get an anime classic from him. However, Tales from Earthsea is not that picture. It's quite bad. From what I've seen, Tales from Earthsea is Studio Ghibli's worst film.

• Oct 24, 2020

Lovely, poetic, a bit complicated, but profound and deep. Superb animation.

Lovely, poetic, a bit complicated, but profound and deep. Superb animation.

• Sep 20, 2020

Not the best work from Studio Ghibli, but it was an interesting concept that could be explored further. Based on the Earthsea fantasy series written by Ursula K. Le Guin, it is set in the land of Earthsea, in which a powerful wizard and a runaway prince must join forces with a former priestess and her daughter to defeat an evil foe whose quest for immortality will destroy Earthsea. But the plot is presented in a boring and overcomplicated way that fails to be as appealing as it probably should be. The viewer couldn't be blamed for losing interest after a while.

• Sep 08, 2020

I hate to give a Ghibli movie so low score, but this movie is just bland and i's nowhere near the quality of other Ghibli movies. The story starts well, but it soon goes messy and unexplainable. The characters are so bland, there's no depth to them. The theme itself is fascinating and relatable, but not handled very well. The biggest issue are the character motivations, which are very hollow.

• Jul 21, 2020

It seems that the film wants to convey a seriousness and a cold sobriety, but instead Tales From Earthsea just feels incredibly low-energy; the characters seem to act as if they themselves don't want to be in this movie. The environmental message is doubtlessly a significant one, but it's been done by the studio so many times, and so much better (even Pom Poko, for all its dense Japanese mythology, seemed to convey the theme more clearly and intelligently). Whether or not fans would like to admit it, Nausicaa shares a few of these weaknesses, but Earthsea fails to compensate with novelty, top-tier animation, sincerity, and sweeping grandeur like the former does. I have no familiarity with the Earthsea book series, and can't comment on how well the film adapts the source material (which seems to be a common complaint), though there does seem to be quite a bit of context missing. There's treating your audience with intelligence and allowing them to infer parts of the plot for themselves, and then there's setting up pieces without rationale. Also can we talk about the "arrogant mustachioed antagonist/lieutenant to the antagonist"? It feels like like this character has popped up with little deviation in several films that Miyazaki has had a hand in, all the way back to Castle of Cagliostro. Not really a complaint, as the character is usually entertaining, but a thought if nothing else. (2/5)

• Jul 15, 2020

The biggest dissapointment from Studio Ghibli, with unimpressive animation, uneven tone, unfocused characters and a convoluted and messy narrative.

• Jun 21, 2020

Subpar. When it first started thought I was going to love it - opening scene has dragons flying around, and builds up this cool story with a wizard taking on a young apprentice, going on to explore a medieval fantasy realm. However, the characters turned out to be simplistic and underdeveloped. That being said it was an interesting world to explore with some awesome animation, and the ending wizard fight sequence atop a crumbling castle was enjoyable. However, the plot waning from around the midpoint mark, alongside uninspired characters, were both major barriers towards it reaching full potential

• Apr 06, 2020