Gedo senki (Tales from Earthsea) Reviews

• Feb 09, 2020

Completely overlooked this film doesn't have the whimsy of other Gibly productions but has a stark and unsettling reality that keeps you engaged. It is about the story and the darkness of human nature and greed. Thoughtful and authentic characters guide you though this more grownup tale.

• Feb 05, 2020

Beautiful, but there is no story. The tiny bit of meaning behind the story (acceptation of death, yada yada...) is completely lost in the absolute blandness of the characters, the meaningless evolution of the main character, and the inexplicable deus ex machina. I feel sad that this wonderful work of animation was wasted on such an empty writing.

• Jan 17, 2020

A dark children's story that at times gets confusing and at other times is philosophical/whimsical. Not my favorite studio Ghibli, but has a great villain. The songs were meh, with many not rhyming or being memorable. The illustrations were pretty good though. The story itself was sometimes hard to understand and disjointed. I felt like many things needed further explanation but were missing-like what is archmage? What happened to the town with the illness? Also, the main characters other than SparrowHawk aren't very likable. The ending left many loose ends and not very conclusive at all.

• Dec 20, 2019

It amalgamated two of the books and made a great fantasy film

It amalgamated two of the books and made a great fantasy film

• Dec 09, 2019

Fantastic Film. It has an underrated pace and just beautiful visuals. Possibly one of the best Studio Ghibli films ever.

• Sep 29, 2019

It's incredible! This story soared my heart into the sky!!

It's incredible! This story soared my heart into the sky!!

• Aug 13, 2019

Strangely, what struck me most about this film was the clear similarity between its animation and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds, which was directed by Goro Miyazaki's father 20 years before. There is also interesting overlap between characters, for example Sparrowhawk and Lord Yupa. In any case, the plot of the movie is fairly typical fantasy – a mysterious blight on the land, an evil wizard, a young, powerful, but misguided apprentice – and not particularly engaging, at least by Ghibli standards (or by the standards of Ursula Le Guin, who commented that the film was hardly based on the book). My kids both enjoyed it, however, they wanted to see more dragons, which, despite the DVD cover, play a marginal role in the film, featuring only at the beginning and the end.

• May 18, 2019

I absolutely loved this movie and honestly don't understand all the hate. Sure, it may not be one of Studio Ghibli's best movies and may not stick to the book too much but this story taught me so much about life and helped me when I was going through a rough time. It's a beautiful fantasy adventure and doesn't deserve all the hate. It's message is important and therru is underrated.

• Apr 16, 2019

The story was a mess, i didn't understand what the movie was about or what it wanted to tell us. It's a mesh of tales with no logic whatsoever.

• Feb 03, 2019

It's not bad, it's just... generic. This directional debut of the younger Miyazaki may disappoint true Ghibli fans (and true Earthsea fans), but it's still epic and visually gorgeous