Gegege no Kitarô (Kitaro) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gegege no Kitarô (Kitaro) Reviews

September 29, 2012
Colorful but too much innocuous flick which, beside the fascinating phantasmagoria of Yokai, has little to offer. Still, Yokai are awesome.
May 26, 2012
Given the budget of the film, which is understandably much lower compare to any Hollywood level film, I'd say this isn't so bad. At least most of the story is told in a understandable manner and characters personalities are pretty close to the anime, if not the source manga.
May 15, 2012
About as strange wacky and entertaining as you'd ever want a Japanese children's film to be, very funny.
½ April 14, 2012
Bad CG. Story doesn't make ANY sense.
March 4, 2012
I didnt like it...:|
December 24, 2011
Bonkers jap kids film
December 10, 2010
clean, fun, the monsters are so funny
haha i like kitaro but this is not who i imagined actually lol
½ July 11, 2010
haha, much better than I expected.
March 22, 2010
a bit bored n draggy...
½ January 30, 2010
yea finally found the movie!!!!!!!!
pretty good
CG was good too

gotta find pt 2 now
January 18, 2010
I love the old Yokai Monsters movies and thought this would be of a similar vibe. It kinda is and kinda isnt. In the beginning it was quite amusing but it very quickly feels like a young kids film, and not in a good way.

The eyeball and
January 1, 2010
Katsuhide Motoki took a cutesy little cartoon boy with one eye and turned him into a teen heartthrob with hipster fashion sense; okay sure why not? I still enjoyed it. I would have liked it more if Kitaro was a little younger, not so tall and skinny and just a little more awkward. But hey, the movie industry has got to make money, huhn? I can honestly say that it kept me interested and fascinated from beginning to end, although I was keeping my eye out (no pun intended) for the sake of monster gawking. My favorite part was actually the end credit dance routine, which I watched again and again. I call it the "Japanese Monster Mash". I also loved the vest and clogs, and I look forward to seeing the sequel(s).
December 17, 2009
Enjoyable kids fantasy movie. Very imaginative and creative with a lot of weird and wonderful yokai making an appearance. The plot involves a powerful magical stone being stolen by a human. It's up to Kitaro along with two human kids to try and retrieve it before another faction gets it before he does. Eiji Wentz of J-pop singing duo WaT is kinda bland as Kitaro. His acting is poor. Thankfully the beautiful Mao Inoue and Rena Tanaka as Cat Girl proved to be better and more interesting. Saying that it's the yokai creatures that take centre stage in this movie. I liked Gegege no Kitaro. It's a charming movie but if you're after something similar but slightly more mature in plot take a look at Takashi Miike's The Great Yokai War.
November 9, 2009
SFX really needs to reign in their raving reviewers; these days they're as bad as Empire, if not worse, for going overboard on films that are mediocre at best. First Tokyo Gore Police gets 5 out of 5, then this underwhelming effort gets a great review.

KITARO is a nice idea very poorly executed.
After being advertised as some kind of Asian revision of BEETLEJUICE, I was disappointed that there really is nothing here for adults to get into at all. At best the (admittedly poor) CGI and action sequences will keep kids under 8 entertained for about 45 minutes until even the action is stretched to breaking point by the tenuously thin plot, which stubbornly refuses to go anywhere for the first hour. By that point it's my guess that most people will have either turned off the telly or turned off their minds and resigned themselves to tedium.

Overall this film does nothing new or interesting with the material available and thus ends up as a pretty pointless film remake of some interesting cartoons.

I did like some of the costumes so it gets another star for them.
½ October 28, 2009
Japan is The "suit nation"!!
There are a lot of great man-in-suite-monsters, it seems Ge Ge Ge No Kitaro anime sprung out to life!
Eiji Wentz is as hands
September 12, 2009
September 5, 2009
I didnt like it...:|
½ August 12, 2009
Despite how much rep Live actions get, if they are done in japan like they are meant to, they do fare well in all honesty.

The movie is based around the tv anime series, and its understandable why many would prefer that. Taking place in modern times and Yokai co-existing with humans. Well mostly because there are the issues that happen between the two.

Kitaro gets mixed up with a boy whose father accidentally steals a precious stone that could disrupt balance.

The romance between Kitaro, and the older sister is teetering on corny, but i am a girl so I guess it makes it bias because i enjoyed it. But it ended badly because the girl and Kitaro ended up separating due to them being so different.

The special effects are to be admired, since it is an anime live action it has to be a little awkward for most adults to enjoy, though its not true that they are low budget.

The story all in all was amazing, and it is a good introductory to yokai themed stories and anime.
½ July 14, 2009
Wish it were directed by Michael Bay.
½ April 18, 2009
best.but gegege no kitaro 2 is better than this.