Gegege no Kitarô (Kitaro) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gegege no Kitarô (Kitaro) Reviews

½ January 17, 2009
Tim Burton should remake this. The manga is great. The film was NOT. Kids may like it, but even as a children's film it is luke-warm at best. Huge potential wasted.
January 15, 2009
I thought it was pretty good, kind of weird, a little silly, but it was entertaining.
January 11, 2009
Fun and playfull film about the spirits and yokai(goblins monsters ect) that inhabit Japan. Kitaro is the defender of human and Yokia kind from evil yokia or other foul things. The effects are cute but often make monsters that are suposed to be scary in to silly things but perhaps this is how they were ment to be. The film is fun for family and youngsters since there is no nudity or gore.
November 26, 2008
I failed to note prior to purchasing this film that it was made for children. This is definitely not always a bad thing, whether dealing with American or Japanese films, but in this case it is. Live action childrens films of this nature rarely work well and are certainly not up my alley. The CGI is pretty juvenile as well. The only element that really kept my interest were the presence of young attractive Japanese actresses (Tanaka, Inoue, and Koyuki). All it really needed was some flight attendants. The real question is why, oh why, are studios, in all their infinite wisdom, choosing to release pictures like this on Blu-Ray when they could choose from any of the many other infinitely superior pictures from their back catalogues or among their recent releases.
½ August 28, 2008
lot of CREATURES here, half human and half yokai... creative Japan!!!
August 3, 2008
It was a nice idea, but like all live action anime adaptations, it falls far too short of its potential.

If you can find it, watch any of the many Gegege No Kitaro TV series, infinitely superior to this film.

It might be alright for smaller children though
July 26, 2008
Eiji is freakin sexy and the movie is just awesome!
April 5, 2008
Hey, just watch it as a kiddie flick and low expectation. It is entertaining in its on way. Brings back fond memories of reading the manga when I was a kid.
April 1, 2008
This commercial sequel is not really an hommage to the work of. Mizuki Shigeru. The cartoon is much more funny.
March 30, 2008
A visual fantasy masterpiece much in the lines of movies like Labyrinth and the Dark Crystal.
March 12, 2008
Sugoi!! I like the anime and the live action with Eiji Wentz is so kawaii. Too bad the love theme between Wentz and Inoue was cut short.. cool FX!
March 10, 2008
a child anime that i never dream it would be a live action movie... not bad, bringing up old memories, though the live kitaro is more handsome than the anime one hehehe
March 9, 2008
haha childhood fav! now a motion picture! i loved it! nothing 'super great' but it does bring back good memories!
½ January 28, 2008
The storyline is a crap... esp. the ending... But the cg effects are good, so it's not a bad movie choice to kill time.
January 23, 2008
The plot's kinda ridiculous, the CGI is cheesy, the romance is a little corny, but the film does what it sets out to do: entertain all sorts of different ages.
January 20, 2008
Wow! This is an amazing movie! For a game based movie it could have been much worse.. Though I haven't played the game or watches the anime the plot was clear and well pictured. I really liked those creatures, a lot of them luckily. But Ratman wasn't very attractive.
Ah, Kitaro, come and take to the flight with Flying Cotton.. Hahaa!! :D
January 10, 2008
Fantastic movie! Although I haven't watched the anime, I thought this was a great movie. I feel I should watch the anime in order to appreciate it more.
December 14, 2007
This was entertaining, with some fun moments. The storyline was pretty simple but it worked well. Eiji looked daft with that wig. tehehe but cute.
December 10, 2007
I enjoyed it, as did my son age 11 but I just wished they had explored the relationship, between Kitaro and Cat girl a little more, it left Rena Tanaka a little wasted in the movie as she is such a good actress.
Still not bad I suppose.
½ December 5, 2007
I enjoyed it, very fun movie, and the japanese culture jokes are totally LOL.