Gekij˘ban Furandaasu no inu (The Dog of Flanders) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gekij˘ban Furandaasu no inu (The Dog of Flanders) Reviews

November 14, 2012
A beautifully sad film with great performances and artwork. The Dog of Flanders is a rare breed in animation that raises important questions on society and classes. It has the greatest and most heart-warming portrayal of the loyalty of a dog has to his owner and how through such hardships that one can endure still remains as loving and as loyal through to the end. It'll be too sad and hard for some to watch but through all the sadness and sorrow there is something beautiful and loving in The Dog of Flanders.
½ May 24, 2011
This is surprisingly a good film. There are, of course, some differences -- or rather, improvisations along the way, such that when I first started the movie I had to make sure I'm watching the right one. Like mostly everyone, we all knew how the movie would end. But the movie delivers its plot in such a way to never let our attention waver. It is similar to watching The Sound of Music once every few years or Christmas classics. The interactions between Nello and Alois were sweet, and Patrasche came to life from the novels just like I imagined.
March 10, 2011
this movie touched us deeply and made us cry... nuff said.
½ January 14, 2010
The most heartbreaking animated film I've seen since GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES.
November 28, 2009
A sad, tragic, and beautiful anime that captures the sadness of the book. Next to "Grave of the Fireflies", an anime with a tragic story and the perfect downer ending.
December 9, 2008
nice but really really sad
November 18, 2008
The style of this film vaguely reminds me of Hayao Miyazaki's Kiki's Delivery Service, with a tragic ending. If you watch any anime at all, you've got to see this one. I loved it, even though it gave me cried out puffy eyes the next day. One advice: if you're gonna watch it make sure you do it early in the day so that your eyes have time to recover.