The Gene Krupa Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Gene Krupa Story Reviews

March 25, 2013
The saving grace of "The Gene Krupa Story" is seeing Sal Mineo, Susan Oliver, and Yvonne Craig. Otherwise it's not in any way a documentary of Krupa's life. It's the standard Hollywood tactic of using 'artistic license' by basing the movie VERY loosely on real events. Most notorious was the use of intoxicants, particularly marijuana, as the near bring-down of his career. A sad reminder of the propaganda film "Reefer Madness". So if you enjoy seeing actors do their job well this isn't bad. Just forget the story.
January 9, 2013
good bio-pic just a side note my dad played in his band for awhile long before i came along.
January 17, 2012
Bad Acting, Horribly outdated, and way too familiar.
½ February 27, 2011
I knew Gene Krupa when he was performing at the Metrapole Cafe in Times Square NYC back in the early 60's I got to know him and his Clarinet player Sol Yaged, Sol is still perofrming in NYC at the great age of 88 God bless him. At the Metrapole I was able to see such performers as Louie Bellsion, Jack Teagarden, Lionol Hapton, Henry Red Allen, and many more. I got to sit up in gene's dressing room between sets. What great memories.
November 28, 2008
Excellent film about one of the best drummers of all time
October 20, 2008
This movie was a lot better than I had anticipated. I wasn't really sure what I was expecting but this movie was really good. Sal Mineo's portrayal of the drummer Gene Krupa was amazing and spot on. The way he played the drums definitely reminded me of how Gene really played. Sal Mineo is a wonderful actor and I think he was a little overshadowed by James Dean's performance in Rebel Without A Cause. Both are amazing actors and their deaths were tragic and left this earth far too early. Overall, this was an amazing movie and I recommend this movie to anyone who loves classic movies!
½ August 1, 2008
Not a very good movie, but a wonderful performance by Sal Mineo... and he did his own drumming. No easy task to portray the greatest drummer of all time.
½ December 2, 2007
Two words: Sal Mineo......and the most amazing amateur drumming, Sal is the dude.
½ October 30, 2007
Pretty decent portrayal by Mineo.
July 19, 2007