General Orders No. 9 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pretentious and angering filmmaking
October 6, 2013
Brilliant, beautiful, impressionistic.
August 5, 2013
Supposed this "makes Malick look like a straight shot of Hollywood."
June 7, 2013
Netflix, #2 Paste 2011. See for style.
watch for form and delivery.
½ August 28, 2012
Literally the most boring film I've ever sat through. Unwatchable...might as well watch your screen saver for an hour. The half star is for the beautiful music and the narrator's voice.
April 7, 2012
How is this a movie?
February 25, 2012
Great film, that has rightfully won a lot of awards on the festival circuit. Beautiful, mesmerizing and a wholly different film than any you'll see anytime this year, in the best way possible.
November 18, 2011
this looks really good. documentary
½ August 13, 2011
Someone PLEASE inform the director that it is possible to design urban areas that are harmonious with nature & people! Last night, I organized a Downtown Atlanta neighborhood get-together to watch this film thinking that it was a documentary about how we're erasing our history (using our city of Atlanta as the prime example). Instead, this film is really a tone poem, as another critic has put it, making a blanket statement that cities are cold, dark places. We watched the film at our Downtown Atlanta neighborhood theater -- Georgia State University's Cinefest theater and there was a Q&A session with the director afterwards. He's a middle aged fellow who grew up in a small town - Forsyth, Georgia - so I understand where his naturalist sentiment comes from. As someone who appreciates the outdoors, I agree with the director's sentiment that highways have done more harm than good. And we certainly cannot have infinite economic development, especially if it relies on urban sprawl. However, there is a balance and we as a society must find it...
June 24, 2011
Really Really Really want to see this!
June 8, 2010
A sort of Southern meditation, images focused on urbanisation with music and scattered narration. This started out so great, had great narration, and was chock full of possibility. But it got really repetitive, was often heavy-handed, and occassionally bad (dead fish, weed growing out of cement, other cliches). Some impressive photography, and a great deal of "could have been amazing" and glimpses of brilliance, but ultimately it just fell apart. Just SOOO much potential, but ultimately defeated itself. Still, I want to see more, I want to see where these filmmakers go, because they clearly had the vision to go some amazing places, but just couldn't yet pull it off.
½ April 1, 2010
Rambling, self-important, pseudo-spiritual documentary on the state of Georgia that plays out like a narrated slideshow. Some beautiful images are quickly swallowed up by its aimless, repetitive nature, and it never establishes a clear focus.