The General Died at Dawn - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The General Died at Dawn Reviews

March 25, 2014
i liked to opening sequence of this action yarn it was very neat cooper once again plays the heroic figure this time in war torn China. this reminded me of 'the bitter tea of general yen" w/o katerine hepburn!
June 11, 2010
Okay film by Lewis Milestone that had a ton of potential but unfortunately didn't really work for me. Gary Cooper stars as an American in China who is trying to help smuggle weapons to the helpess Chinese to defend themselves against the evil warlord Akim Tamiroff. While I hate all of these remakes that are going on right now, I feel a remake of this film, if in the right hands, would be excellent. I guess the problem with this is that it went by too quickly, some characters showed up without much explanation and others sort of disappeared. It's got a nice score and the setting is excellent, but this could have been so much better.
March 6, 2010
Melodrama. But entertaining melodrama.
½ July 30, 2009
Excellent classic, suspenseful and a marvelous cast. Gary Cooper and Madeleine Carroll are fantastic, Akim Tamiroff, William Frawley and Dudley Diggs provide outstanding support. Very well directed, great story (Clifford Odets wrote the screenplay.) Wonderful cinematography.
June 19, 2009
Love Coop! Carroll isn't bad. I used to associate her with B movies, but she's really A class!
½ April 13, 2008
Cooper at his best - visually as well as actingwise - thanks to stunning cinematography and crisp dialogue by Clifford Odett. Madeleine Carroll is the weak point in this movie, but Akim Tamiroffs oscar-nominated performance and atmospheric art directions adds to this slightly overlooked films qualities.
½ December 12, 2007
Another great Gary Cooper film. It took me awhile to get into Madeliene Carrol's character but by the end I was invested in her and Gary Cooper's relationship. Very sad ending. It was good but it's not one of his movies that I would watch again and again, like High Noon or Design for Living.
½ November 27, 2006