Generation Iron - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Generation Iron Reviews

January 22, 2015
Superb ! I have always followed the Pro Bodybuilding scene. Well made, interesting. Great movie !
November 26, 2014
It's hard not to draw comparisons to the Arnie classic - clearly the inspiration for this modern revisiting. That original plays out more as an ironic comedy nowadays as does much of this. You do spend much of the film admiring the dedication of these men and then equally scoffing at their combined ridiculous pursuits - the man falling off his horse is a particular treat. Overall, an interesting peak behind a very odd world.
½ November 24, 2014
Decent look @ modern bodybuilding & where it's come from.
November 23, 2014
Not as cool and entertaining as Pumping Iron.
PantaOz
September 25, 2014
I heard about this film from a friend who went to the European premiere at the Copenhagen International Documentary Festival where the sold-out screening was held at the 650 seat Bremen Teater. This is very engaging documentary film which follows the world's best bodybuilders as they train and compete for the coveted Mr. Olympia title. I was never a great fan of this type of activity, but having a front row seat to find out about the lives of the top seven bodybuilders in the sport, including Phil Heath, Kai Greene, Branch Warren and Dennis Wolf, was simply, amazing! And, when you have a guy like Mickey Rourke to narrate the film is always pleasant! I enjoyed the appearances by Arnold Schwarzenegger, Lou Ferrigno and Jay Cutler, as well

It seems that Generation Iron had the biggest documentary opening of 2013, and held position as the #1 documentary in the US at the box office for three straight weeks after its September 20 release. No wonder. The director Vlad Yudin made everything to bring us the reality show "circus" feel to the documentary screen and it kept going with no major flows, of course, if you like reality shows!

It was educational regarding the competitors themselves, their struggles, thoughts... but never went into details of the diet or any of the competitor's workout regimens. Well, maybe this is the product of the times. Nobody is interested in depth anymore. It is entertainment, and entertains really good!
September 20, 2014
loved it, as good as "Pumping Iron". such an inspiring film and how it went into the charecters stories. amaIng!
September 19, 2014
A pumping iron wannabe, but will never be a classic.
½ September 16, 2014
Here's one for all you gym junkies. Documentary following a group of body-builders as they each strive to be crowned Mr Olympia. Provides solid insight as you get close and personal with the body-builders, getting a glimpse of their personal lives and the individual motivations they each harbour in wanting to win the world's most prestigious prize. Likely would have benefited from being more informative on their specific training programme or diet but this is probably because it is concentrating on the competitors themselves rather than the regimes.

Still prefer documentaries that tackle more serious and darker issues but it does well to challenge the perspective of body-builders as mere arrogant steroid takers, instead portraying them as human beings who work extremely hard for their own personal dreams of glory.
September 13, 2014
haha Always good to see something different.
½ September 3, 2014
Well-made, definitive "day in the life" of modern bodybuilders. Not sure why I kept falling asleep watching it. Also a nit: it didn't touch on the vanity that must at some point drive these folks.
½ August 25, 2014
No need for them to dramertise the relationships between the guys. That got really old for me by the end.
August 24, 2014
For a movie about bodybuilding (in which I have no interest whatsoever), this documentary is surprisingly interesting, if a little on the long side.
½ August 22, 2014
What does it take to become Mr. Olympia? Many say talent with a little work will always trump hard work. Can someone prove otherwise? Can hard work or even applied science outdo genes?
½ August 21, 2014
It's basically a remake of Pumping Iron.
August 21, 2014
Finally I was waiting for a DVD release for this one and it didn't disappoint me. I am not really a fan of body building competitions or the body builder themselves. Though it made me realize how dedicated these people are. It's the work ethic and the talent and the hard work, it really pays off and really hats off to them. Very well made thinking this will inspire even ordinary people not just body building but their goal to reach out. 4 out of 5
August 15, 2014
Never really knew what bodybuilding was all about before I had seen this movie.
July 24, 2014
really interesting,very insightful look at what it takes to become the best in the world of bodybuilding.what I really enjoyed about this film was the true stories and sacrifice they make in there lives and not focus on the steroids story like so many films do these days..
July 24, 2014
This is a bit like Pumping Iron and this is a great film because it tells you how Arnold Schwarzenegger got the super built body and the Golden Gym
July 20, 2014
Really interesting, delves deep into the bb world...well, as deep as one can delve only discussing PEDs for about 4 minutes mid-film.
July 8, 2014
This kind of seemed like it couldn't be boring, but Generation Iron fails to capture the enthusiasm of its subjects. Instead the film is over long and boring. I think I fell asleep for a moment during this film.