Genevieve - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Genevieve Reviews

½ June 18, 2016
This movie was so bad, I didn't want to keep watching, but as the 'best British comedy,' I felt it had to get better. It didn't. I didn't laugh once. Four people being mean and immature to each other is not funny in this case. If a car backfiring and breaking down will make you laugh, then maybe you will enjoy it.
November 14, 2014
Charming british comedy based on the London to Brighton car race.
October 16, 2014
A charming little British comedy about two couples & the male from the couples are classic car enthusiasts who get a little out of hand due to a bet.

Filmed amongst some beautiful rural scenes of England & the humour is genuinely witty & continually funny.

What these two men will do to win is absolutely insane but the also the stars of this film are the stunning old cars...it's a simple film made to entertain.
June 30, 2014
while nothing in scope compared to say 'the great race" or 'it's a mad mad mad world" but still watchable.
½ February 5, 2014
The way the men treat the women is quite dreadful
March 1, 2013
Mildly entertaining story. The best thing about this was the background, fifties london and the Great British countryside, marvelous.
½ January 28, 2013
Charming, and Larry Adler's virtuoso harmonica elevates the whole thing.
½ September 26, 2012
I want to cry every time I hear Larry Adler's fantastic soundtrack. A lovely gentle comedy with a brilliant cast including the fantastic Kay Kendall. It is, however, a film of its time and others may feel that it hasn't dated well.
January 20, 2012
oh boy this has aged, but it was fascinating, fine to watch while ironing.
½ June 16, 2011
Charming. Simply charming
½ February 22, 2011
I love these old movies. Proper Britishness all the way through. I wish modern films were more like this.
½ July 29, 2010
In my youth it was a quaint race with that fantastic harmonica theme time. Now it is the fantastic dialogue and relationships alongside Larry Adler's fantastic incidental music which hold my interest. Truly a movie for all ages (now older than than the cars were when it was made!).
June 11, 2010
This cute comedy featuring vintage car enthusiasts and their female companions that put up with them will make you chuckle. It gets the gender divide just right. Husband and wives will recognize each other's foibles lovingly and amusingly portrayed. Maybe you'll be like me and eye your spouse when the featured couple's antics turn familiar. This is not a movie for cynics or starry-eyed romantics. The flights of car fancy are grounded in universal relationship reality.
April 13, 2010
Gently funny and very English, "Genevieve" comes across resplendently today, 57 years on. It is visually striking, with the dashing crimsons of Kay Kendall's lipstick and the old roadster Genevieve herself. It is also splendidly acted, with John Gregson's reserve and Kenneth More's overgrown-schoolboy brio. Dinah Sheridan is the epitome of sensible and there is an amusing cameo from Joyce Grenfell. Kay Kendall's famous trumpet-playing scene is pivotal; a sorely underrated, unusual actress. It is a 'feelgood' film from a time when Britain seemed to have a lot to feel good about; there is a sense of enjoyment in tradition - the race and cars - alien to us today. The late scene with 'The Old Gentleman' is telling and moving in equal measure. Boyish enthusiasms are to be indulged; they maketh the man, this film seems to be saying - and this isn't a film that prudishly avoids sex and marital relations, either. Ealingesque, and of the best such vintage.
March 15, 2010
86/100. A wonderful and charming film, nicely directed by Henry Cornelius. The great cast works wonderfully together, the leads are exceptional - Dinah Sheridan, John Gregson, Kay Kendall and Kenneth More. Very well written, and the screenplay was nominated for an Oscar, as was the fine and unusual harmonica score. Excellent pace, colorful and quite amusing in a uniquely British way.
March 15, 2010
½ March 1, 2010
I loved the scenes of 1950s London and English countryside, but found the constant arguing between the characters to be unfunny. The way that the men spoke to the women was perhaps an insight into the way that it was acceptable to speak back in the good old days?
lesleyanorton
July 17, 2009
And the London-Brighton vintage car run's still running
April 28, 2009
well umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch..its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie..i think that dinah sheridan, geoffrey keen, john gregson, joyce grenfell, kay kendall, kenneth more play good roles/parts throughout this movie..i think that this is a good 1950's movie 2 watch..i think that the director of this classic comedy movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie its an enjoyable movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie