Gentleman Jim - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gentleman Jim Reviews

½ March 31, 2017
Might be my favorite Flynn movie.
March 17, 2017
My opinion---

Raoul Walsh is definitely a virtuoso and has realized a true
masterpiece of the 7th art in every respect, it is an elegant film and
wonderfully realized by this great master of the cinema, the film is
also the representation and the incarnation of the American dream of
the time. This film was also and wonderfully served by the masterful
interpretation of Errol Flynn which deploys all his charisma and all
the elegance of his character, his ardor and his sympathy splashes the
screen of his whole class representing the life of the boxer James J.
Corbett, of which Raoul Walsh was inspired. Superb scenes of
unforgettable pugilates will also be of a purity. This masterpiece of
cinema will forever be eternal for all the wonderful points I have just
written, a film to discover or rediscover. In conclusion; For me it's
one of the best boxing movies ever made by Hollywood, an unforgettable
film both for its realization, its incredibly beautiful interpretation
of an unforgettable Errol Flynn.
½ April 30, 2015
Good boxing movie, the story of "Gentleman Jim" Corbett, one of the earliest world heavyweight champions under the Marquis of Queensbury rules.

Shows very well how Corbett revolutionised the sport. Before it was pretty much a brawl or slugfest. He used his speed to dodge and wear down opponents, and made it more tactical.

Reasonably accurate, historically. Some of the sub-plots are thrown in for entertainment value and can be a bit silly at times.

Great performance by Errol Flynn in the lead role. Good support from Alexis Smith.
January 31, 2015
Based on the life of the turn of the Century Irish Boxer, Gentleman Jim Corbett. One of the original boxing stars. His rise to fight John L. Sullivan was probably the first great and highly promoted boxing matches. Errol Flynn claimed that this was one of his favorite films and worked hard to develop his boxing skills. Flynn became a pretty capable boxer for this movie.
½ August 17, 2014
Terrific! Flynn is great:
½ August 12, 2014
bio-pic with certain liberties
April 16, 2013
3: Excellent sports biopic. I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised, especially given my recent disappoint with the Jim Thorpe biopic. The boxing scenes are excellent given that this was made in 1942, but it is after all a Raoul Walsh picture, so one should expect it to be a cut above. Engaging and educational all the way through, especially for those of us that aren't familiar with the early days of boxing in the US (like myself prior to seeing this film).
September 14, 2012
Very great and visually amazing.
August 5, 2012
Flynn's athletic ability and comedic talents are showcased in this bio about the turn of century boxer whose quick footwork and defensive fighting style revolutionized the fight game. While the personal aspects of the film are largely Irish blarney, the boxing side of it is mostly accurate. James J. Corbett did fight on barges and in private athletic clubs in order to circumvent the ban on the sport back then. The fight scene on the barge is classic as is the championship fight set in New Orleans where Corbett meets John L. Sullivan, played with gusto by Ward Bond, for the heavyweight title.
½ July 13, 2012
Some of the boxing scenes are still incredible by today's standards.
June 17, 2012
Back in the day the Irish were as lovingly mythologized as the Brits in Hollywood movies, and this Roaul Walsh film is no exception, as Errol Flynn, in fine form, plays the social climbing upstart of a man who took boxing from brawling to an art form. Warner Bros. was in its heyday and this brash, impertinent, raucous work exults in its vigor. Ward Bond too shines in one of his better roles as the great John L. Sullivan.
½ August 14, 2011
Flynn just aint a confincing boxer.
½ March 1, 2011
Oh brother! This is such a good movie. I wouldn't say it is perfect (I don't know why it isn't) but it is super re-watchable and everything in it works so well. It is actually pretty action packed and has some wonderful fight scenes. I'd be in my desert island 500 movies I couldn't live without once the ghosts destroy our planet.
½ February 11, 2011
By heaping on the energy and giving free rein to a cast packed with classic 40s character actors, Walsh barrels over the impediments of a dodgy biopic structure.
February 10, 2011
Gentleman Jim (1942) -- [6.5] -- Errol Flynn plays a banker who takes up boxing and makes it all the way to a climactic match against the heavyweight champion of the world. "Gentleman Jim" is more entertaining than I imagined, thanks to Flynn's persistent charm and healthy doses of wit and humor. Alan Hale returns to Flynn's side, this time playing his proud papa, while Alexis Smith takes over the leading lady duties. She's no De Havilland, but she holds her own in a romantic subplot that is unusually tolerable for the time. The film's main problem is that Flynn's character never encounters much hardship, neither in the act two crisis nor the climax itself. Things are just too easy for him. But that is decidedly the spirit of the film, and it's nonetheless entertaining. I especially enjoyed the seaside boxing match, a scene featuring an impressive set built around a tank of water with hordes of actors positioned on three different levels -- the mainland, a recessed dock, and a schooner ship.
½ October 25, 2010
For all of Errol Flynn's fame as a swashbuckling adventurer of the Golden Age of Hollywood, his favorite role, and one of his best films, is "Gentleman Jim," based on the true story of boxer "Gentleman" Jim Corbett, the man who defeated the greatest boxer and biggest celebrity of his day in the ring - John L. Sullivan.

If the movie has any weakness, it's that there doesn't seem like the odds are ever against Corbett. He never really faces any obstacle that makes you wonder if he can overcome it (even when you know a character will win against the odds, it's always good when a movie can really leave you wondering). Even the climactic fight with Sullivan seems rather one-sided. True, Sullivan was past his prime by this point, and the match is pretty accurately portrayed, but still, things come a bit too easily for there to be any effective dramatic tension.
½ October 13, 2010
A pretty good boxing movie, it's set in the past, in England (I think). I saw it on TV, and it looked good enough, but I got kinda bored with it in some scenes.
½ August 14, 2010
Entertaining Flynn flick profiling the rise of boxer "Gentleman" Jim Corbett. The film follows Corbett from bank clerk to opportunist at the Olympic Club to his success as a boxer leading him to a title bout with the legendary John L. Sullivan. The film does do a good job showing how Corbett was a new style of fighter opposed to the regular fighters of the day. The love story in the film was a little weak. A fine film.
½ August 8, 2010
Highly entertaining, with realistic fight scenes and plenty of humor throughout the film. Errol Flynn is in top form -- both physically and theatrically.
August 8, 2010
It was nice to see Errol Flynn get a role that didn't involve swords. A little slow to start, but overall a quality film. The family interactions were funny, and Flynn nails the part. Cocky, suave, and classy, with some great athletic ability. Recommended.