Georgia O'Keeffe - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Georgia O'Keeffe Reviews

½ November 13, 2014
I liked how this was able to tell this story without falling into the Hollywood trap of showing more skin than necessary.
October 25, 2012
This film should have been called Georgia OKeefe, and Alfred Steiglitz, because all it emphasized was their self absorbed, stormy, relationship and shallow personalities. It had very little to do with artistic content. Never mind all the other strange characters in their lives. It was a shame to waste such a bland script on such great actors as Jeremy Irons, and Joan Allen. This movie just seemed to me to lack substance..
½ December 31, 2011
Well done biopic on one of the most influential and well known artists of the 20th century. Greatly acted by the entire cast, particularly Allen and Irons who really bring O'Keeffe and Stieglitz to life in an extremely accurate way.

As is so common in these artist biopics however, it tends to focus more on a rocky relationship rather than the artist themselves. I realize that O'keeffe's relationship with Stieglitz was an important aspect of her life, but it is held in too much significance here.

½ December 6, 2011

½ June 15, 2011
Having admired her Art, I enjoyed learning why I should also admire this Strong Woman
½ June 8, 2011
Excellent biopic... although I could have kept watching for at least 30 more minutes: more art, more scenery, from where her inspiration came from, a glimpse to her childhood? Superb performances from both Joan Allen and Mr. Jeremy Irons... and a delight to the eye with such amazing colors!
May 10, 2011
Great acting, my type story,someone special, beautiful pic with the great lines unforgettable.
March 30, 2011
good solid bio-pic well acted
Harlequin68
½ March 30, 2011
In an art gallery in New York City in 1916, Georgia O'Keeffe(Joan Allen) is not happy with any of her paintings and kindly requests that they be taken down. Alfred Stieglitz(Jeremy Irons) declines, defending how good they are. He is so much taken with her artwork that he offers her his niece's apartment, allowing him to drop by from time to time. On one such visit, Stieglitz photographs O'Keeffe with poses so revealing that they lead to his divorce. But that's okay, since the couple get married as a result, and the photos end up in a gallery.

"Georgia O'Keeffe" is a well-acted, engaging, if hermetically sealed, recreation of the push and pull relationship of a visionary couple. If they had never met, then not only their fortunes and lives would have been the lesser, but also the art world itself. While O'Keeffe had the talent, she lacked confidence like so many women of her time but which was a common quality amongst the women of her social circle, especially Mabel Dodge(Tyne Daly). Stieglitz provided valuable encouragement and promotion while O'Keeffe's modeling helped his photography. However, they are also a cautionary tale in how a marriage can ruin a perfectly good relationship, with tradition in conflict with modernity.
January 26, 2011
Very well done biopic on one of the most influential and well known artists of the 20th century. Greatly acted by the entire cast, particularly Allen and Irons who really bring O'Keeffe and Stieglitz to life in an extremely accurate way. Covering O'Keeffe's entire artistic career, director Balaban creates an intimate portrait that really captures the complexity, strength and vulnerability of O'Keeffe and how her personal life influenced her art. The script is great, really getting into the deeper meaning of O'Keeffe's work and its influence on the artistic community. I do wish the film was a little longer as it gets a little crammed towards the end. Other than that, I have no major complaints about the film. Very well done and very powerful.
½ December 1, 2010
Joan Allen and Jeremy Irons are awesome here
Blaster1618
½ September 14, 2010
Joan Allen does an exceptional of slipping into the skin of Georgia O'Keefe. If you can weather the miscast Jeremy Irons as Alfred Steiglitz this is a lovely movie. Credit to Bob Balaban and his cinematographer for making such Steiglitz-like images of Joan Allen.
August 10, 2010
(#76) I wish this lovely movie had been 20 to 30 minutes longer, and delved deeper into O'Keeffe's inspiration and artistic eye. An nice period piece, and a fine tribute to a very important American artist. Grade: B+
July 3, 2010
I didn't know anything about this famous artist before watching this movie, but the film really explained her life well. There was much about her relationship with her husband, though not as much about her life in New Mexico as I would have expected.
½ June 5, 2010
Decent, but unsatisfying biopic Too much marriage tribulations.
June 2, 2010
Oh how I always love movies about the arts, such as this. Going into this, I knew virtually nothing of Georgia O'Keeffe's life & it was nice getting to know her, in a sense, and see the creations of her art & how they came about. Her vibrant flower paintings are simply gorgeous & this movie gave me a better appreciation for her artwork. Joan Allen as O'Keeffe was great & I very much enjoyed Jeremy Irons as well, even though his character was quite a jerk & made it quite easy for you to dislike him.

The next time I see one of her amazing works in a museum, I will fondly recall this film & feel like I know just a little bit more about Georgia.
May 14, 2010
Slow moving but very well acted by Joan Allen and Jeremy Irons. Nicely photographed and of course the wonderful art of Georgia O?Keeffe is a big plus for the movie. I would have liked to see more of that than so much focus on the trials and tribulations of her marriage. The stars and the artwork makes it worthwhile.
May 12, 2010
O'Keeffe, not only one of America's most important artists but also one of history's most influential women painters. Although inspired by others her style is an unmistakable signature! This is a well-made and well-played biopic, Irons in particular looks the part as Stieglitz.
April 22, 2010
I love O.K...but this film did not speak out of her strengtrh.
½ February 28, 2010
Famous relationship between two American art giants somewhat explored. Good acting, good treatment of the story, without much worry about the history of the art. The focus here is on the people and it's all competently handled. Worth a watch for those interested in photography and art in America in the first half of the 20th century.