Georgy Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Georgy Girl Reviews

½ March 1, 2018
What could have been an utterly predictable bit of rom-com fluff was saved by some unforeseen plot detours and the great acting of Redgrave and Bates. Rampling does a pretty great job of being thoroughly beastly thanks to her unvarnished honesty ("I've already destroyed two of yours") and that last shot of her walking down the street with that little curl of a smile to be the object of all those men's stares is wonderful. Redgrave's moments of beauty are counterbalanced perfectly by her neediness and tunnel vision once the baby comes into the picture and Bates' antics are equal parts endearing and annoying. Kind of like some real people. However the characters of Georgy's father and his employer are a bit flat and anyone who thought that was a happy ending should note that Georgy's entire attention is for the baby and old James clearly sees what he's gotten himself into. The movie is entertaining without escaping a certain constriction that keeps it from genuinely examining choices we sometimes make without really thinking things through. Still....see it if only to swing along with London in the 60's.
January 26, 2017
It's an offbeat and quirky little film that boasts a great title track, a relatable and likable titular character, a nutty young man, and one nasty, detestable bitch.
"Georgy Girl" effectively deals with the issues of being responsible and being confident in your own self-image and talents. By the end of the film, you're left with a really good feeling.
I'd say this is an underrated gem during the beginning of the 60's counterculture movement. Check it out!
½ October 25, 2016
I wasn't expecting much from this film, but I was surprised by just how well-done and charming it is. The performances are all memorably excellent, the black and white photography is perfect, the writing is "real" feeling, and it achieves that fine line of being both funny and thoughtful.
½ February 21, 2016
Those old British humour.
July 23, 2015
A cute comedy with a great performance from Lynn Redgrave and James Mason. Great music and lovely cinematography
½ March 3, 2015
Like the song, the film too is a unique, memorable time capsule in which different aspects of the swingin' 60's erratic culture in urban Britain are personified and intersect. Several characters refuse to grow up, a frustrated middle aged upper cruster seeks love, and lonely Georgy is seemingly caught in the crosshairs. There is a unique kind of happy ending tinged with profound sadness. "Hey there Georgy girl, there's another Georgy deep inside, bring out all the love you hide and, oh, what a change there'd be
The world would see a new Georgy girl..."
January 18, 2015
the best thing about the movie is it's theme song
½ July 22, 2014
this was a strange film - it somehow mixed a vertie cinema visual style with farcical chaplin-esque performances, which didn't always work well and at times made the film uncomfortable to watch. it is also terribly dated - the worldview of the film and the female lead's concerns are horribly sexist by todays standards, but maybe not so much so in 1966. it feels like a simple, mindless comedy for the average 1960s housewife, and on that account i think it delivers, because it was still moderately fun to watch at times.
½ June 22, 2014
Georgy Girl is a sad commentary on the choices available to a frumpy girl in the 1960's. Nonetheless, it is an enjoyable movie.
½ January 6, 2014
Is film shows the oddities of British pop culture by telling the story of georgy, the girl that wants to fit in but has reservations. She eventually finds her happiness with an older man, James mason. It was quirky to say the least.
September 6, 2013
Lynn Redgrave of course uses the Georgy girl character to launch her into a career as the Weight Watchers spokesperson. The original portrayal of Georgy is not offensive, it still is a little off.
August 31, 2013
This has been a favourite movie of mine since I was a kid and started something of an obsession with Charlotte Rampling who is particularly horrible in this 1966 British 'New Wave' classic. Georgy Girl is an off-beat comedy that has a charm that belies the shock that it would have caused to many audience members at the time of release due to the nature of its subject matter. Georgy is a bright, intelligent but socially awkward and slightly frumpy young woman who shares a flat with the glamorous and spiteful, swinging 60s girl Meredith. Georgy's family works for a millionaire businessman, Mr. Leamington who is trapped in a sterile and loveless marriage. Leamington has something of a crush on Georgy and offers her a contract whereby he will support and look after her if she agrees to become his mistress. However, Georgy rather fancies Meredith's cheeky, carefree sometime boyfriend Jos. Georgy is always being overlooked and stood-up but then, Meredith falls pregnant with Jos's baby. It has to be said that the story is rather dated in attitude and outlook but the central performances by Lynn Redgrave (Georgy), Alan Bates (Jos), Charlotte Rampling (Meredith) and James Mason (Leamington) make this a truly great piece of 60s cinema. Both Redgrave and Mason received Academy Award nominations for this film and rightly so. Silvio Narizzano gives his directorial best here (gaining a BAFTA nomination for Best British Film) with some enchanting and genuinely funny scenes, making great use of Redgrave's comic talents. The screenplay was co-written by Margaret Foster and based on her novel and shows us a slice of London life when England was trendy but still had a dour and grimy side. The theme tune (partly written by actor Jim Dale and also nominated for an Academy Award) became a huge worldwide hit for The Seekers and is instantly recognisable to those of my generation and older. Whilst the tone it strikes is definitely of its time, especially in the attitude towards women's aspirations, this is still a hugely watchable and enjoyable film. A great slice of 1960s, British cinema and watching it again this evening, I enjoyed it every bit as much as I did when I first saw it some 30 odd years ago.
June 30, 2013
What a delightful film. After 35 years of marriage, it is seldom that we run into a movie that neither one of us has watched. What a treat. Reminds me of Gigi.
½ March 30, 2013
Another sixties downer "free love" picture, a la "Alfie." What a great cast, and Alan Bates is so sexy! Now if only I could get the song out of my head.
½ February 6, 2013
This is an adorable movie with some wonderful characters and performances. 60s, B&W, a now famous theme song that sticks in your head and fits the movie perfectly. The ending would probably not sit well with audiences nowadays as Georgy marries the considerably older and wealthier man so that she can keep the baby - I get it though it's about the baby and not which man she is with, but I still would have loved to see her end up with Jos as they had the most wonderful chemistry and repartee. Really enjoyable 60s flick.
½ November 14, 2011
This film did not turn out the way I was expecting. It's an altogether juvenile story that drags out far too long. Alan Bates' character could not sit still for one second - I wanted to sedate him. The only appealing part of the movie in the first half, but it's all moral breakdown after that.
March 8, 2011
There's not a bad performance in this mid-sixties UK flick. Right from Alan Bates' sweet lothario all the way to James Mason's somewhat pervy 'father figure'. Lynn Redgrave steals every scene she's in though, even upstaging the gorgeous Charlotte Rampling, who is mostly in full-on 'vixen' mode. A marvellous snapshot of so-called Swinging London back in the day.
March 7, 2011
Finally got to see this film on TCM yesterday. Light and breezy, in its casual depiction of some pretty awful situations. The late great Lynn Redgrave was magnificent as the multi-talented Georgina, who was hounded by the care-free and liberated 60s, and a couple of bores. Wished I'd seen it when I was younger. I might have thought about things a little differently, when I was a young impulsive whelp.

Brilliant little period piece. Good to see James Mason in a nasty, albeit rich, character. Much to despise, yet frightfully honest. Dashing Alan Bates and beauty Charlotte Rampling, made a "marvellous" pair.

Well, enough of that. An interesting contrast to My Fair Lady, and Where the Boys Are (1960). Catch me in a pub, and we can discuss.
March 6, 2011
A little trifle from the 60's with Lynn Redgrave as an overweight girl who is in the shadows of her more glamorously pretty roommate played by Charlotte Rampling. James Mason is the horny old millionaire who on one hand tells Georgy he thinks of her as a daughter and then presents her with a "Mistress Contract". It's dated, and the end is actually kind of sadly depressing, when I know that wasn't the intent, but worth a gander.