Germany, Year Zero Reviews

• Jan 05, 2021

Simple, but tragic. Showing the hardships in Germany post WW2. Saw on HBO.

Simple, but tragic. Showing the hardships in Germany post WW2. Saw on HBO.

• Dec 13, 2020

Filmed among the ruins of post WWII Berlin and with a remarkable cast of German actors this film presents a realistic, albeit devastatingly bleak and tragic view of life after the catastrophe of war.

• Oct 05, 2020

I came to this thinking about fascism -- this striking moment when fascism is militarily defeated, but not yet replaced as a structure of feeling. When I was starting to watch movies about Nazi history, I watched the Nazi film Hitlerjunge Quex, which is also centered on a young boy of around this age -- it was hard not to think about them as a pair of movies about boys coming of age bookending the experience / ideology of Nazism. Of course, it also pairs with Rome, Open City, which I watched a couple of years ago. Here, the devastation is bleak, the situation is bleak, and one catches the feeling of these impossible moments. I kept thinking, as I was watching, about the fact that Germany was actually rebuilt after such devastation... Most countries so destroyed have languished for decades. I wanted to know the next chapter of what would happen to these characters, how they would develop, how they would end up ideologically and economically. Who would be sidelined, who would transform themselves? Yet, I would say that somehow, it wasn't as gripping as Rome, Open City. This movie takes a snapshot of history, and it chose a moment which is fascinating in and of itself but from which it is hard to draw any conclusions.

• Aug 02, 2020

I don't think there's ever been a movie that managed to combine a neorealistic vision and such poetic imagery, but Rossellini definitely got very close with this heartbreaking picture

• Oct 30, 2019

Nos muestra que el pueblo alemán fue la verdadera víctima del nazismo. El uso de Berlín como escenario, propio del neorealismo, muestra la ruina de la ciudad y del interior de Edmund

• Jan 12, 2019

Devastating picture; it rightfully can be called a horror movie, a real-life horror is depicted graphically in this black and white masterpiece. The nightmarish images of the bombed out Berlin create an unforgettable effect; the problems of the Germans in the immediate aftermath of the war are shown in minute details, with the center being a little boy, an innocent victim of the transpired events. Very forceful cinema, that doesn't shove into your throat its political bias or anything like that; it's way more effective in its cold-blooded portrayal of life itself. The shot of the boy running his hand over his disillusioned face at the end will forever stay in my mind.

• Aug 25, 2017

A movie about a boy who is trying to survive in a ruined Germany where everyone is just trying to survive and not caring about the other. Most of the time you are scared what will happen to the boy next and heartbroken how he is forced to take a bigger share on everybody else's wellbeing than a boy of that age can in any way handle. Very good movie, but also sad and unfair.

• Mar 19, 2017

The most well-crafted film of the trilogy, with sweeping camera moves and intricately staged long single takes. The idea of this world is terribly sad, a society facing it's karma, living in shambles, leeching off each other. Edmund is first seen attempting to get a job as a 13 year-old undertaker, desperate to work to feed his family - he's kicked out. What does it say about a society when the most seemingly available job is to bury masses of dead humans? It also deals with the exploitation of children, prostitution; everyone is desperate to feed themselves, and will do so by any means. There are no standards, it's survival. We always think we have to look to the future for a post-apocalyptic world, but this society already faced it. The score is sinister and well composed music, but distracting with sloppy transitions at times.

• Oct 18, 2016

This is a very powerful film from director Roberto Rossellini, shot in location in Berlin immediately following the end of WWII. This neo-realist film tell the story of a 12 year boy who spends his day rummaging for food and items for trade to help support his family, which includes a very ill father, a brother hiding from police, and his sister. Gradually the boy ventures down a dark path that forever changes him. The location shooting of the ruins in Berlin really help set the tone for the film which many describe as extremely bleak, and i would have to concur. This is a powerful and emotionally draining film, but very much worth watching as the conclusion to Rosellini's WWII trilogy.

• May 01, 2016

This is the final installment in Rosselliniâ??s War Trilogy. Unlike his first two films, this one takes place in Germany. It is perhaps the bleakest of the three both in terms of story, as well as theme. The panoramic shots of a devastated Berlin are undeniably disturbing. Rossellini does an incredible job making his viewers uncomfortable with the dark abyss that was post-war Germany and the bitterness and fear that comes with an uncertain future.