Treed Murray (Get Down) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Treed Murray (Get Down) Reviews

March 24, 2016
Have watched it 100 times and if it was on tv right now, I would watch it again.
November 25, 2013
Brilliant film shame about the level of unsavoury language.
June 11, 2012
it was a good movie it was funny and crazy
½ January 28, 2012
Just compelling enough to watch the whole thing, warts and all
December 5, 2011
Wow, the poster makes this film look a lot better than it is. Not that the film is all bad... It's a low key, minisule budget affair, the sort of tv film you watch in the afternoon whilst ill. Strong premise, but lacking in either suspension or plot. - One or the other could have done with being stronger.
½ May 10, 2011
~~Pfftt... BoReD MoViE~~
½ December 17, 2010
Treed Murray is a film I've wanted to watch ever since I saw it advertised on television about 6 years ago. Although overly exaggerated in parts it has a great plot accompanied with fantastic acting by it's mostly young cast. Treed Murray takes every day interactions and adds an interesting twist resulting in this unique film that strips societies general assumption of individuals to the bare bone. A very impressive indie film.
½ August 11, 2010
A great concept - Not a great film - but decent.
Treed Murray has a really great concept - An upper class advertising executive is chased by a gang of teenage thugs (after they try to mug him and he fights back) through a park, finally finding refuge in a tree he climbs to escape being beaten to death. All the action takes place in and around the tree, while he fights off his attackers. Sounds fascinating, doesn't it? While the very premise creates suspense, the director fails in trying to make the thugs and the exec equally sympathetic. While we learn that the exec is a drug user and has cheated on his wife with prostitutes, it does not condone the actions of the thugs, who are clearly the aggressors. Sure, they're smart and are loyal to one another, but they most certainly are the villains. But the film continually tries to make us feel otherwise. David Hewlett is one of my favorite Canadian actors, but perhaps he was too charismatic for this role, if he was to be seen as equally flawed. Or, perhaps, his flaws should have been presented more at the beginning of the film. I just sympathized with his character too much to feel sorry for the thugs. Political correctness bogged down this film, as is the case with most Canadian flicks. But, for all it's problems, some of the acting is terrific and the editing and cinematography is top notch. I think William Phillips (the director) will make much better films in the future. He's definitely talented - he's just trying too hard to please the overly political Canadian film scene. A mildly good film, but far from great.
February 25, 2010
Treed Murray is without question the best "sleeper-hit". David Hewlett (Pin, The Penthouse) was perfect for this role. Cle Bennett, Aaron Ashmore and Jessica Greco collectively, are the perfect supporting cast.
December 4, 2009
Great acting and a few interesting sub-plots were enough to turn this low budget melodrama into a pretty entertaining film. I expected much much worse and now I own the movie.
½ July 25, 2009
Christ not another film about a yuppie guy trapped up in a tree by a group of young hoodloms...yawn.

Indeed friends-all of you who have declared to not be interested in this film (95% of my friends list)-I just watched it for the 2nd time. It's a good movie with some great dialogue and pretty good acting by the guy in the tree. Forgive me-David Hewlett is the treed guy's name.

ANYWAY this is an interesting and thought provoking film-that deals with issues of survival/good vs evil/human indifference and cruelty. There are some terrific mindgames/manipulations as Murray tries to get down from the tree without being murdered by the aforementioned young hoodloms.

Give it a chance-it's Canadian eh!!
June 24, 2009
I rented this movie because one of my favorite actors, David Hewlett, played in it. I ended up buying it online that night because it was shockingly good! This movie is simply classic acting. No special effects, nothing blowing up; if that is all you want in a movie then look elsewhere. This movie is about the characters interacting with each other and a truly unique view of society and the general assumptions we all tend to make about each other. You have to give this movie a chance, you will not regret it. :)
May 21, 2009
Terrible movie. Dialogue was awful & very phony. The characters were not believeable nor did I feel anything for them or their individual situations. I can't believe so many people gave this movie a good review. I only watched the entire movie to see how bad it was going to get. Seriously, if you want to watch a poorly made movie, watch Treed Murray.
April 20, 2009
Quelle violence, quelle torture psychologique... Super original comme scenario.
½ March 24, 2009
low budget.. nice script.
stuck on a tree with 5 ppl who tried to whack u
simple yet classical
½ January 24, 2009
Possibly the best low budget film I have ever seen. David Hewlett is tremendous!
½ January 20, 2009
it was sad how da smalest 1 of dem got killed wit his own granddads gun
January 18, 2009
not since PIN has there been such a cinematic masterpiece. Good casting with the black kid and the mouthy chick. Once again, David Hewlett takes the cake as our lion hearted hero stuck up a tree.
January 2, 2009
I watched this movie, because a friend at work told me to, and wow. What a movie with intense dialog and some impressive acting, not to mention a great musical score. The only thing I can say is that this movie is absolutely brilliant. If only more American cinema would strive for these types of movies with incredible social commentary. maybe i would not be so damned bored with Hollywood. This is truly a hidden gem.
August 26, 2008
Sometimes Canadian movies are so fickle. I mean, we just take what they give us in stride really. Occasionally we'll get clever fun romps like "Meatballs" or "Porky's", fun campy flicks like "Ginger Snaps", amazing documentation like "Wrestling With Shadows", sophisticated humor and satire like "Highway 61" or "Hard Core Logo", or a sign of the times biopic like "The Rocket", or some methodical thought provoking, and downright eerie films from David Kronenberg.

Yet we still get the overrated pretentious Indy fests, from Atom Egoyan, which seem to be trying hard to be an Indy movie getting an oscar, moreso than it should just be a DAMN movie!!

Enter Treed Murray. I'm guessing the budget was mainly paid for the permit to use the park, and maybe David Hewlett's suit. Some found this move to be pretentious. I found out to be the most intriguing hard to turn away movie I've seen in quite some time at that point.

Hewlett plays Murray, just your run of the mill ad executive, who his stalked in the park by a gang of hoodlums who want his wallet. Murray however looks down at them, and even hits one of them, so they chase him up a tree, and utter threats that if he comes down, they'll kill him. He tries to shout for help, but the gang members cleverly thwart that.

And now we have our movie. And what else can I say? Hewlett spends the movie, trying to get out of this situation anyway he can. Picking apart the gang members one by one and there personalities. And while Murray is no saint himself, we feel as if this gang is merely doing this, because they have nothing else they want to do, and the message it sends to me, is that, gangs need to get there man, in order to boust about there credibility.

The gang leader is named Shark, played marvellously by Cle Bennett, and his lackies include a drug addicted woman, an overcompensating psycho, a follower, and a troubled kid who's family situation has grown worse.

The characters are all intriguing, and Hewlett is nothing short of awesome here, and this is the movie that "Teaching Mrs. Tingle" tried to be.

See, Murray may not be the greatest guy in the world, and we see he can be outright arrogant, even though at times he tries to be sincere. While we can sympathize with a couple members of this gang, some are just downright dispicable.

It's brain smarts vs. street smarts, and we find that sometimes one or the other, isn't always a good thing. The ending is somewhat contrived, but I just could not look away from this movie from begining to end.