Getting Even With Dad - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Getting Even With Dad Reviews

September 9, 2012
Superb, Culkin is classic, Danson is immense... soundtrack unreal. One of my childhood favourites.
June 9, 2012
I think that if you look at this movie for what it is: just a fun feel-good family movie, then it does just that. No, it's not cinematic gold, but that's not what you're asking for when you see something like this. It's about feeling good and about a family coming together with a bit of laughs in between. Why try to grade this movie against something like Forrest Gump, The Godfather, etc? They're not the same kind of movie and that's like comparing apples to oranges.
May 23, 2012
Cute movie, great for a rainy day. Teds Son gets his father to live life the right way, after being released from prison
May 17, 2012
Best film that has ever been made, anyone who rates this movie lower then 99% has serious brain issues which need immediate medical attention. Macaulay Culkin's finest work and easily better then the extremely over rated Home Alone films.
½ April 22, 2012
nothing like home alone
½ December 29, 2011
Wasn't THAT awful. But most made for family movies lack any kind of heart. Well maybe not Mrs. Doubtfire..
½ December 23, 2011
A charming comedy that took me 17 years to watch but finally did. I'm a big fan of Macaulay Culkin and Ted Danson and they were perfect here as father and son. Could easily watch again. 3.5/5
½ August 28, 2011
One of many pervasive societal problems in the United States is the fracturing of the family unit, which sometimes leads to children growing up without one of their parents. More often than not, the missing adult is the father, and the effect of his absence is rarely positive, and occasionally profound. Getting Even With Dad would like potential viewers to believe that it puts a "positive spin" on this issue. Actually, the dysfunctional family in this film is little more than a shameless plot device to introduce a lame father/son bonding adventure. Need I mention that Getting Even With Dad has a happy ending? Anyone who thinks I'm giving something away with that statement has the wrong idea about the film's nature and intent. As bereft of intelligence as the movie is, I suppose it's amiable enough, and likely to be enjoyed by children (many of whom will have no trouble relating to the actions of 11-year old Tim).

VERDICT: "Full Price" - My second highest rating (Positive to Mixed reaction). This is a rating to a movie I view as very entertaining and well made, and definitely worth paying the full price at a theatre to see or own on DVD. It is not perfect, but it is definitely excellent.
August 21, 2011
i love it because it's just one part is funny but all the don't mind it at all
½ August 3, 2011
For some reason I remember liking this when I was 9 years old. Of course, that was back when Macauly Culkin made pretty much the only movies aimed at kids in 1993/1994, so we didn't have many films to choose from to watch. So, I saw this whole movie was on youtube and decided to check it out. Pretty dull movie, sort of a combination of Home Alone and the Bucket List, it starts Culkin with bad looking long hair reunited with his dad Ted Danson (also with bad long hair and an accent that is far too thick) who stole a bunch of gold coins. Of course, Culkin finds out, takes the coins, and threatens to turn them in unless Danson spends time with him. Hilarity ensues, yawn. Pretty dull script with a stupid romance story thrown in there and it tries to have a heart at the end. It's best if you don't rewatch this and instead just remember it as being just okay when you were little.
July 8, 2011
a very funny family movie that makes getting even with your dad fun and hillarious. A
June 9, 2011
"Rends la monnaie, papa !"
½ June 5, 2011
"A babyface, return to the Hollywood, limelight." Macaulay Culkin, was definately the "it" child, during the early 90s. This film will deliver some good laughs at the hands of Saul Rubinek and Gailard Sartain but is nothing mind blowing.
½ May 15, 2011
A pretty silly family fun movie but it's easy to like Culkin in this one.
February 3, 2011
What's better than a Macaulay Culkin movie? How about a Ted Danson/Macaulay Culkin movie!
January 2, 2011
April would probably like this movie.
½ October 11, 2010
This is also a fun clean movie great story line very entertaining
October 7, 2010
Ted Danson's fake hair gets one star.
½ October 4, 2010
If they had negative stars I would go in the negatives.