Geuhae yeoreum (Once in a Summer) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Geuhae yeoreum (Once in a Summer) Reviews

April 25, 2013
I have seen this movie and it is so good. This film has everything, you think it's just going to be this lovely story about two people from different social classes who fall in love but it's is so much more. I love the way everything is interconnected from the past to the present and the knock on effect it has had on their lives. The political climate of the late 1960s with students revolting and how they become caught up in it all. The sacrifice she makes so because of a promise to his father who helps her get out of prison and the lasting love they both have for each other.
August 22, 2012
I've been trying to find this movie forever and now that I have finally seen it, it was worth the wait. It's hard to find a good romance movie these days and I was glad to have finally stumbled across this movie after the many months I've been trying to look for it.

When it comes to romance or rom-coms I look for a few things. Do I like the pair? Do I want them to be together? Do they have chemistry? The answer is yes to all of them. Byung-hun Lee and Su-Ae make a wonderful couple, I cared about them, they had wonderful chemistry, I wanted these two to be together. Those reactions took me by surprise as normally I don't feel that strongly about couples in romance movies. (I'll finish this review later.) >.<
August 26, 2011
watched while having a really horrible day.

the story started in the midst of uprising of the student protest. So my life isnt that bad, i guess. But in the midst of it all, guy meets girl. In with light hearted moments, they fell in love. In the midst of calmness, there was always a fear of something bad that was coming. And it came. The love was put into test, and he failed. With her disappointment of being denied, though she forgave him, she knew that the best for him was still to leave him.
December 15, 2010
We always joke about the predictability of Korean love dramas. The use of symbols, the bittersweet end, usually brought about by the death of one of the protagonist by some sudden dilapidating disease or disappears, is almost a must have. I suppose you could look at it that way that inherently all Korean romances are doomed, and ultimately boring. But that would be unfair.

The beauty of such films lies in the way the story is told. Credit must be given to the Koreans for coming up with a thousand and one ways of telling this same story. And though Director Joh Geun-Shik(TM)s Once in a Summer may not be the saddest or the most brilliant film to come out of the Peninsula, it possesses an alluring, almost poetic-like sensibility. A simple and sentimental love story that works.

The characterisations of the main leads are by no means two-dimensional. The fragile and beautiful Jung-in (Su-Ae) struggles with continuing loss and tries to fit into a village after her once pioneering parents defected to the North. And we feel for the handsome Suk-Young (Lee Byung-Hun) who charms his way into the sweet girl(TM)s heart but later forced to renounce his love. The movie truly belongs to these two actors, who have made it their own. The audience is captivated, both by their funny and charming courtship and by the harsh, sudden and maddening break up by government and family.

The dichotomy between rural village and the urban center of Seoul is used to great effect. The pair court in a carefree and slow moving countryside. Ten days are forever? indeed. Though it takes up more than half of the film, we are never bored and never tire at the sweet little moments the two share. The sudden and heart-wrenching turn of events (in less than 20 minutes!) that eventually separate (and reunite) the couple maybe a tad exaggerated, but serves as a reminder that it all takes just one small circumstance to ruin an otherwise wonderful and good thing.

Admittedly, I found the disappearance of Jung-in to be a true mystery. The device has been used in countless films, where loved ones separate themselves to protect the other, and it never bothers me. I would usually just brush it off. But here, I have difficulty deciding if it was a weak point of the drama. Here is Jung-in, possessing a second chance at a happy ending and yet she chose the harder, more painful route. There were so in love! They could have eloped or done something else! Why?! We do silly and foolish things when we are in love, even when it hurts or pains us. I never found myself wanting movie lovebirds to be together before. Oh well.

In many films of this genre, predictability may be the word du jour, and Once in a Summer is no different. However, it benefits from some clever writing and the film is filled with small, memorable and magical moments. These are one of the strongest points of the film. The simple but revealing resolution will leave your heart heavy but warm.
½ February 9, 2010
A beautiful, touching tale about love and loss. Another great movie from Byung-hun Lee. Su-Ae also did a fantastic job in capturing her character.
½ January 12, 2010
It made me cry he lived all his this time alone and a thought that she might be alive never crossed through his mind,,what a loss !! only memories gosh didn't he have a brain??well it sure shows he did have a brain since he became a school proffesor but other than that i was dissapointed at his lack of thought of her.
but anyway they shared a short summer together too good for the memories anyway i liked it so much..
November 4, 2009
Respectful !!
It really amazed me with all those emotions . Gotta admit , I dropped some tears while watching some scenes .
October 14, 2009
very very sad movie... :(
½ July 1, 2009
Setelah cukup lama tidak menonton film Korea yang mampu menohok untuk membuat kita terbawa sedih, gue akhirnya menumukan lagi, meski porsi yang membuat kita sedih tidak terlalu berlebih dan dibuat lebih realistis.

Gue tahu film ini karena ada dalam list filmografinya Soo Ae dan Lee Byung Heon, 2 pemain film korea yang gue adore bgt, udah cukup lama mencari-cari film ini.

Secara cerita film ini sangat standar saja, tentang seorang mahasiswa dari sebuah organisasi di kampusnya melakukan kerja sosial bersama teman-temannya disebuah desa dengan pemandangan yang sangat indah, di desa tersebuat dibertemu dengan seorang gadis penjaga perpustakaan desa, lalu perlahan cintapun mulai tumbuh diantara mereka.. Standar bgt kan..?

Tapi cerita standar ini oleh filmmaker korea bisa tetap enak dinikmati sampai film berakhir, karena pengeksekusiannya yang tidak biasa, dengan gambar-gambar pedesaan yang indah, music score yang mendayu-dayu dan tentu akting romantis Lee Byung heon dan Soo Ae yang total.

Seperti cirikhas film-film korea lainnya, selalu ada informasi-informasi dari masa lalu karakter yang akhirnya mempengaruhi hubungan mereka, dan semua tidak berjalan seperti apa yang mereka inginkan.

Perpisahan yang sangat dramatispun terjadi, dengan latar sejarah hubungan tidak baik antara korea utara dan korea selatan film ini kemudian membawa kita pada perjuangan mereka untuk kembali bisa bersama. Dan semua tidaklah mudah serta banyak hal yang harus dikorbankan.

Kesedihan demi Kesedihan disajikan menjelang film bearakhir, dan meski tidak terlalu berlebihan tapi cukup membuat kita ikut terbawa dengan berbagai permasalahan yang dihadapi 2 karakter utama film ini.

Rindu dengan film-film korea yang menyuguhkan kesedihan dan linangan air mata? film ini boleh lahh untuk di rekomendasikan.
½ June 23, 2009
A decent film that provided good acting from Byung-hun Lee, however I do feel he was miscast because of his age. The film also seem to lacked the special little something, which would of made it a more satisfying watch.
May 15, 2009
½ January 4, 2009
Iyi ve kaliteli bir Guney Kore dramasi.
December 14, 2008
Ever cried on a flight before? I did.. watching this movie..
November 22, 2008
the movie is great and the story is sad about they love eachother but couldnt be together b/c of the North and south thing.