Geuk jang jeon (Tale of Cinema) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Geuk jang jeon (Tale of Cinema) Reviews

October 4, 2011
What a boring piece of crap.
2/5
½ September 20, 2010
[color=white]I saw [i]Tale of Cinema[/i] on the last day of the festival when they replay all of the films that were In Competition. Seen at the Bazin Theatre in the Palais. In Competition for the Palme d'Or. [/color]
[color=#ffffff][/color]
[color=#ffffff]I really have nothing good to say. Lots of people walked out, but I stuck through it. [/color]
[color=#ffffff][/color]
[color=#ffffff]I honestly couldn't tell you what it was about. I can't even describe the plot in anyway because I have no clue what it was supposed to be about or what happened. The characters switched halfway through, suddenly there were all new characters for no discernable reason. The only way I can describe the film is a student film with slightly better lighting. the performances were bad, there was no plot, the cinematography was unimpressive. I can't believe this was actually chosen to be in competition. [/color]
[color=#ffffff]The Opinion: My god, what a terrible movie. [/color]
February 28, 2010
I love the hate that Hong Sang-soo's movie elicit in people who can't just admit they are simple minded entertainment seeking non-thinkers. But not as much as I love watching his movies. This one is a favorite of mine. Complex and interesting and eminently re-watch-able. Some of the best acting and film making being done today. I feel like people not liking his movies is like people going into an art museum and getting mad at the paintings for not being exciting enough. Art isn't entertainment. Empty, flat, and boring are not useful descriptions of bad art they are descriptions of boring entertainment.
October 23, 2009
I don't see everyone enjoying this good piece, but I did. If you have seen too many movies in your life, then you may enjoy this a little more.
½ October 7, 2009
Bring on the bifurcated meta films! I was confounded by the first half and then the rug gets pulled out from under me and while it becomes clearer it's still bizarre and interesting as hell. The true main character is a first class weirdo who gets involved in some pretty awkward moments. I'm not sure if the criticism of life imitating art is all there is to themes. It reminds me of Rivette's Love on the Ground.
May 8, 2009
This film is bullshit. It's as if not meaning anything will suggest a grand mystery we're to discover because there must be a reason. Get it? It's not interesting (and not immediately obvious) that the first half of the film isn't really part of the film but is the 'film' the second half of the film references. Big deal. It wasn't good as film, or as a film within a film. Ji-won Uhm is good, but her character is flat, something I'm sure was "directed." I'm calling out Sang-soo Hong as a phony. Three of the four films I've seen by him have been empty, flat, and boring.
January 26, 2009
boring and crap Sputh korean Drama
½ May 30, 2008
where's turning gate?
April 19, 2008
I didn't get it...I mean, the topic of death Hong talked about here.
½ March 28, 2008
Interesting movie which was even nominated for a golden palm at Cannes in 2005.
Clever movie but it couldn't win my heart completely.
March 9, 2008
como para verla un lunes por la maƱana
January 16, 2008
Clever and wry story about sex, lies, and cinematic one-upmanship by Hong Sang-soo, one of Korean cinema's most exciting and original talents. The film has a fresh, New Wave physical charm, with Seoul standing in for Paris or New York, a daring structural playfulness and an audacious fidelity to the perverse, self-defeating impulses of human character.
December 8, 2007
This film kept me thinking.
Interesting screenplay.
October 22, 2007
My Hong favorite with "Oh! Soo-jung"... and his sadest movie maybe, the one which make you think the more after the lights came back.
October 19, 2007
Loved this film and its original idea. Half-way through things take a completely unexpected turn, which make you think a bit, but it's not that hard to follow.
August 18, 2007
Interesting plot....
August 4, 2007
Formally impeccable. A closed, dark tale of sentimental and sexual 'errance'. Loved it.