Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster Reviews

April 28, 2014
Godzilla, Rodan, and Mothra star in The Best Friends Club
April 13, 2014
"Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster" isn't a bad chapter in the Godzilla saga, but it's sandwiched between two superior films and if it wasn't for the fact that it marks the arrival of Godzilla's arch nemesis, it wouldn't be anything special to the fans and certainly not to general audiences. Police Detective Shindo (Yosuke Natsuki) is investigating the reappearance of Princess Selina Salno (Akiko Wakabayashi). Her plane exploded on its way to Japan in what is widely believed to be an assassination attempt that's been covered up but oddly, the Princess doesn't appear to be who she is. She is claiming to be a prophet from Venus, warning Earth that a great disaster awaits them: not only will Rodan (from "Rodan") reappear, but Godzilla will return to Japan and an even deadlier threat awaits Earth: Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster! Shindo and his sister Naoko (Yuriko Hoshi), once convinced that the Princess' prophecies are true must convince Mothra (returning from her appearance in "Godzilla vs. Mothra") to help them against this threat.

This movie is a mixed bag of monster fun, not as silly as the next chapter ("Godzilla vs. Monster Zero") or as serious as the previous one, "Mothra vs. Godzilla"). On the plus side, we've got more monsters than ever before: Mothra, Rodan, King Ghidorah and Godzilla, all together and ready to fight! On the downside, the special effects aren't very good in this movie. Assuming you're watching the films in the order they were made, you will notice that the Rodan looks very silly this time around, not particularly cool at all and that the awesome Godzilla suit from the previous film has been replaced with a friendlier-looking, but not nearly as good costume. Having really loved the previous movie, I was also severely disappointed that only one of the Mothra larvae comes back (one is said to have died off-screen, inbetween films). We've got Godzilla moving towards a much more heroic role in this story, which is alright but unfortunately that means that we get much less destruction this time around. You get more boulders being thrown than actual skyscrapers toppled. That said, there are a lot of fun things about this movie, as the franchise moves more towards the campy, ridiculous sci-fi plots that became a staple of the next ten or so chapters. We've got princesses being possessed by Venutian spirits, a three-headed space dragon that shoots lightning coming to attack Earth, meteor showers and an assassination plot. Even more exciting, we get some fun monster battles between the characters. Rodan and Godzilla duke it out in what is a very silly but actually pretty funny battle (which involves much pecking and stuff being thrown around), we've got Mothra fighting King Ghidorah by herself, Mothra trying to convince Godzilla and Rodan to join her in order to save the humans (which they are reluctant to do by the way, because the humans "bully them") and finally King Ghidorah, squaring off against three monsters at once (one for each head!) If you think that last point means that we get a sequence where Mothra rides on top of Rodan so she can get some air with her silly string cocoon powers, then you would be right and you should be excited to see it. Yeah, it's a bit of a disappointment to see the monster action turn into a goofy wrestling match but I like to think of Godzilla a lot like Batman. Some people see him as a serious character and therefore, write him seriously. Some people see him as a symbol of humanity's depths and write him in intricate stories filled with all kinds of symbolism. Some people just see him as a silly science fiction hero for the kids and that's what we get here. Even for the people who like Godzilla as a more serious character, you do get the first-ever appearance of King Ghidorah, so that's something to cheer about.

When it comes to the human plot, it's not too bad, but nothing special. There is a really funny moment right at the beginning where we are introduced to the Shobijin (the emissaries of Mothra) through a game show and there is some nice banter between Shindo and his sister. We get a decent plot about some scientists investigating the mysterious meteors that have fallen to Earth, but that one doesn't hold a candle to the princess assassination plot, which is a lot of fun. This is where the movie gets to its nuttiest because we've got a police officer trying to track down a woman who's claiming to be a Venutian while some bumbling assassins (well, they're not comedic, but they're not very good at their job) are trying to track her down too and meanwhile, she's prophesising that monsters are going show up at any minute. It's also nice to see continuity between the films (even if Rodan's appearance is a drastic change from the last time we saw him, and not only in the looks department).

There are a lot of ideas and plot points going on here, but they're not that well balanced. I would have loved to have seen this film drop Rodan entirely and have the two rivals, Godzilla and Mothra forced to team up with a new opponent, but oh well. It's not one of the silliest Godzilla movies, which actually works against it in a way but it's fun enough, mostly because of the revelation of King Ghidorah. If you're a fan of Godzilla movies, or just giant monster movies you can give this one a shot and you'll have a fun time, but this is not one of the "great" Godzilla films. (Original Japanese with English subtitles on Dvd, March 30, 2014)
½ March 14, 2014
So King Ghidorah has come to Earth and it's up to Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra to work as a unit to take down the biggest threat the Earth has ever experienced... Yup it's a little corny, but Ghidorah is a fantastic monster addition to the franchise and frankly is the best so far, a giant caterpillar is not quite as impressive to be honest! Overall a decent watch with a fairly good battle!
February 8, 2014
Great classic monster movie, which features the first look at the 3 headed dragon, Ghidorah (or Ghidrah, this movie likes to call him a few variations of this). A rock with magnetic properties (sometimes) is discovered in the mountains, and out of the blue Ghidrah appears. There is no explanation provided for this, so nerds like me are unable to truly explain how he appeared. It ends with Ghidrah getting the shit beat out of him. The variety of monsters (Rodan, Godzilla, Mothra and Ghidrah) are a real treat, yet it seems a but unfair that the fight is 3v1.

6.5/10, a classic in the Godzilla universe, worth a watch if you enjoy Godzilla / Toho flicks.
½ December 12, 2013
A better Godzilla flick than Godzilla vs. King Kong, but it still isn't one of the better ones.
November 26, 2013
Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidorah. This is my favorite Godzilla movie. The Kaiju battles are something that must be seen,
February 14, 2013
A great adition to the Godzila move series, itroducing the most famous of the villains and having 4 monsters fighting instead of just 2, which raised the bar for more creative ideas for monster villains and action sequences for the sequels. This makes this one of the best of the Godzilla films
7.8/10
½ January 31, 2013
A warning from space details the coming of King Ghidorah, a giant three-headed monster and destroyer of planets! The spokespeople of Earth summon the winged guardian, Mothra, to save humanity, but Mothra must call upon the combined strength of Godzilla and Rodan in order to defeat the intergalactic terror. GHIDORAH, THE THREE-HEADED MONSTER gives birth to Godzilla's most iconic foe, the great King Ghidorah! Ghidorah is a masterwork of design and special effects, brought to life by a team of puppeteers controlling the dragon's vast wings and many heads. Ghidorah's signature roar and lightning breath only add to the monster's incredible appeal, making him a favorite amongst fans. GHIDORAH, THE THREE-HEADED MONSTER introduces many important trends that would come to define the Showa era, mainly the inclusion of alien beings and the all-out brawls that would feature a pantheon of Toho's greatest creations. We also see a change in Godzilla's role from destructor to indifferent observer as part of his gradual shift into humanity's savior continues. GHIDORAH contains a fantastic display of aerial combat, grappling, and laser battles that reaches the height of Eiji Tsuburaya's incredible achievement in special effects. King Ghidorah would make his return the following year in Godzilla's next exciting space outing, INVASION OF THE ASTRO-MONSTER.
December 27, 2012
I wanted to love this movie, but it was hampered by some issues I had with the plot, overly silly moments, and a somewhat anticlimactic conclusion -- so I'll have to just settle for greatly liking it. Ghidorah was pretty awesome though. Some of my favorite scenes were just watching him flying around obliterating Japan with his lightning breath. He somewhat compensated for Godzilla's lack of malice here.
½ November 11, 2012
Enormously entertaining Godzilla movie--Classic Kaiju flick!!
October 28, 2012
This one my favorite entrees on the godzilla franchise, and also the most important due to showing a new monster called king ghidorah, which continously is known to become godzilla's biggest enemy in the entire franchise. It may be slow, but its alright cause it has an intresting plot on a princess being mind controlled by martians, didnt they do that to megan fox? like i said, it has an intresting plot, and ghidorah is also one of my favorite giant monsters, he has three heads, shoots lightning out of their mouths and can cause huge chaos, even when he's in the sky. he's awesome. but the real highlight is mothra, rodan and godzilla team up to battle king ghidorah and everyone now consider godzilla as a hero. its classic. it is just classic. its one of my favorite films of the godzilla series and if your a hard core giant monster fan, then check this out because its fantastic. its the godzilla film that started the rumble of giants. its just great. A+
September 22, 2012
Introduces Godzilla's arch enemy and is a good fun movie.
May 1, 2012
This kaiju flick has a weird James Bond-esque plot where a princess (Akiko Wakabayashi) is threatened by assasination from a foreign government. She also claims to be a Martian and predicts that a recent meteor strike will herald the coming of a new giant monster. Her prophecy comes true in the form of Ghidorah, a golden dragon who shoots electric fire from all three of its mouths. The humans are powerless in this monster's wake, so it's up to the combined efforts of Godzilla, Mothra, and Rodan to put Ghidorah in its place. Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster will not entertain those without a spirit for camp, but G-Fans will likely be dazzled by the goofy plot, dated special effects, and the puppeteering work on the titular beast's triumvirate of heads.
April 27, 2012
Rushed into theaters the same year as "Mothra vs. Godzilla", the debut film of Godzilla's most famous adversary is a very uneven affair. The movie starts out okay, a typical Toho science fiction affair, but then it goes crazy as a the film follows a police detective that is forced to protect a princess who is being targeted by a group of assassins. Not only that, but the princess is also the harbinger of a long dead alien race that is trying to warn Earth of the impending destruction from the three headed dragon named Ghidorah. This subplot takes up most of the screen time with the human characters and it feels like glorified time-killer because it has little impact on the monster action. The effects are also dodgy in this one. Rodan looks really fragile for a creature that flies at super sonic speeds and the Godzilla suit looks really worn out (along with a really ugly head). Plus there is not too much city smashing or military scenes, which is weird because military scenes are a long-standing tradition in the Godzilla series. It is obvious that most of the film's budget went into the elaborate Ghidorah suit, which does steal the show whenever Ghidorah is on-screen. It is just too bad that Ghidorah is only in the movie for a total of ten minutes. After the first half the monster action picks up considerably and the final fight involving Mothra, Rodan, and Godzilla banning together to fight the evil Ghidorah is pretty cool, although it does not live up to it's full potential. This is one of the few times were I recommend the American version over the Japanese because the American version cuts out some unnecessary scenes that help the pacing. If I have to sit through some questionable dubbing in order to get to the monster action faster, I'll take it. Overall, "Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster" is a sporadically enjoyable B-movie and one of the weaker entries in the Godzilla franchise.
March 31, 2012
One of the best Godzilla films, although Rodan is not as impressive looking as in his 1956 classic.
½ March 27, 2012
The monsters of our world unite to defend it from an invading king, and Godzilla briefly becomes a hero.
March 21, 2012
Along with the original and "Mothra vs. Godzilla", a pretty entertaining Godzilla flick. We get our money's worth here, with Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, and the best villain of the entire series (Ghidorah). Those three heads and wings and lighting shooting from its mouths is a sight to see. There's a really stupid plot involving assassins and a princess too, in case we got bored with people in suits destroying model cities.
½ March 18, 2012
Interesting plot and a lot of kaiju action. Decent characters, and I really liked the final fight between all the monsters. One of my favorites.
March 15, 2012
"These Monsters Are As Stupid As Human Beings!" The citizens of Japan sit back and relax as Godzilla, Rodan, and Mothra (in pupa form!) monster-conference themselves into a team-up against the space born beastie, Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster. Definitely not the best of the Kaiju flicks, the film takes far too long to build to its ridiculous monster brawl climax with all that orange lightning fire and Mothra ...uh, spraying white web gunk (???) upon them all. Decent, but decent is not what you want from these Rubber Suit mashups. VF.
½ January 13, 2012
All four super monsters in an all out shclock attack. Good fun! Story was ok as wekk