The Ghost Breakers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ghost Breakers Reviews

November 17, 2016
One of the original "haunted house" comedies. A descendent of The Cat And The Canary (1939)...
½ November 11, 2016
This second of five films that Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard made together is fine. I can't say I was crazy about it, but both leads are appealing and it manages to be a rare horror comedy that manages to focus more on the comedy and actually be occasionally funny. Like most films of this sort, I felt like I was watching a really expensive episode of Scooby-Doo, but at least it was a pretty damn good really expensive episode of Scooby-Doo.
July 20, 2016
Ghost Breakers is probably the greatest movie in the "spooky haunted house genre" of the B&W era. Bob Hope is in top form, Paulette Goddard does her usual first-rate job and Willie Best puts in an amazing performance.

I've seen this classic probably 100 times, and I never tire of it.
½ January 20, 2015
Divertidisima pelicula con un hilarante Bob Hope y una hermosa Paulette Goddard.
½ November 29, 2014
I can't say that I've seen a whole lot of Bing Crosby movies, personally, but since I'm a fan of horror comedies, I figured that I'd give The Ghost Breakers a shot. Unfortunately, the movie borders on mediocre, and then some. There are some funny gags and all of the actors are appealing, as well as some nice cinematography, but the overall product just isn't very satisfying. I think the movie relies too heavily on the plot and not the comedy. The plot is important, but shouldn't be the main drive behind everything. It tends to undermine things and make everything generally unfunny or uninteresting. Bob Hope, of course, is busy with his romantic lead and occasionally putting out some one-liners, but the bottom line is that the movie is just not all that interesting or funny. It's a better Halloween marathon kind of movie more than anything else, in my opinion.
October 14, 2014
funny stuff but no 'ghostbusters"
½ September 12, 2013
Two great leads in this horror comedy film. It is not the best of either of them by a long shot and it is not much to write home about but if you like the stars you will probably get some laughs out of it

It is a dark and stormy night in Manhattan when Goddard learns that she is the new owner of a supposedly haunted island. Hope on his part is a radio man who is soon on the run from mobsters after a comment he made on air. After a shooting Hope finds himself face to face Goddard and she helps him out of a pickle. Soon she boards her ship heading for her island and he has no choice but to tag along. There everything comes to fruition and the Ghost Breaksers take on the haunts and the dangers of Castillo Maldito. This is a good example of the horror comedies of the 1930s and 40s. Hope was better with Crosby and Goddard was better with Chaplin, but this film certainly has some hilarity.
½ August 20, 2013
An "old dark house" horror comedy illuminated by two of Paramount's best and brightest stars and a good supporting cast.
½ January 22, 2013
Pretty funny Bob Hope movie, Ghost Breakers is just fun and energetic and well acted, to boot!
½ June 23, 2012
great late night viewing.
½ June 10, 2012
Funny old-house-ish comedy--Zombies and Ghosts and Murder, Oh My!!
Beefy
December 27, 2011
Lovely cinematography, a sharp witted Hope, and a gorgeous Goddard. Even with all that, the film's primary standout was it's casual racism and depiction of African Americans; it often undercut the humor and suspense.
August 18, 2011
A lot of laughs are in this one folks! Mary (Goddard) has inherited the dreaded Black Island Castle that has been in her family for centuries. She's excited at first, but when murder suspect Larry (Hope) and his sidekick (Best) get in the picture, the fun begins! "The Ghost Breakers" was one of the many pairings of Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard. Their previous film "The Cat and the Canary" (which is unfortunately not on NF) was a big hit, and I KNOW the studio wanted some more green. Hope and Goddard are considered by many to be two of the best comedy actors, and here they of course, prove it. Hope is as usual good, his comedic timing is spot on, and every trip, every fall is hilarious, and never tiring or annoying. The fast-talking silly character that seems to be in every single movie of his is put to good use, and when he has a chance to wave a gun, is it funny? Of course. Goddard also (as usual) is quite a watch, and even though she had many many many comedy roles throughout her career, this is kind of a slide. She isn't silly or goofy here, but seems to play the innocent pulled into the mix. Though it was not was I was expecting, she has great chemistry with Bob and they're really fun together. I love these two, but the person that won me over AND made me laugh the most was Hope's sidekick played by Willie Best. It was a shock to me that he was black in the first place: most African-Americans had bit parts in the olden days, and he could have gotten billed third had it not been for his skin color. His slow, dim-witted persona is SO good here, and almost makes Bob seem smart for once. He delivers fun lines, and when his eyes go wide, what can I say? He's got to be one the best black comedic actors in the '40's. "The Ghost Breakers" is funny and short, and isn't a waste of time at all.
½ July 27, 2011
One of the great horror comedies - a notoriously difficult genre to crack. This gets it pretty much spot on. Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard star.
June 16, 2011
** (out of four)

A lot of people seem to like this Bob Hope comedy, but for me it is disappointing.

I am a fan of Hope's and always enjoy seeing him onscreen even in something that isn't quite worthy of his wit and talent. Paulette Goddard is sweet and cute, but doesn't really connect the way I had wished. But my biggest issue is that I didn't find it as fun as it should have been given the premise.
November 27, 2010
Just a fun, pleasant film for all.
November 16, 2010
Ancient 1940's romp with one-liner king Bob Hope and the delightful and luscious Paulette Goddard pitted against the various inhabitants of the Netherworld (The hulking, bald-pated Zombie essayed by Noble Johnson is particularly memorable-) that have inconveniently taken up residence in a dilapidated castle in Cuba she has been bequeathed. The two share great chemistry and their quick patter and verbal repartee (A mainstay of films of the time-) are fun and amusing. Similar to their version of "The Cat and the Canary"-- the 1930's and 40's were rife with these kinds of comedies, and this is one of the better ones.
½ November 14, 2010
September 27, 2010
One of my favourtie Hope movies, it's really very funny. If you're a fan, check it out. It's sort of a spoof of old horror and mystery movies.