The Ghost Breakers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ghost Breakers Reviews

August 10, 2010
Funny movie, pre-US involvement in WWII which makes it interesting to me. I remember Bob Hope vaguely, but he was actually quite funny, which would make sense as to why he was so famous. Its a little discomforting to see how Hollywood portrayed black people back in those days, but I guess that is just how it was then, and we should be grateful that we have moved forward some. Good movie for some laughs.
July 31, 2010
My favorite Hope without Crosby movie. Bob really fills the shoes as the leading man well in this, being brave and chickenhearted all at the same time. Some creepy effects actually raise some hairs on my neck and Anthony Quinn (umpteenth billed) is suitably mysterious. Oh, and did I mention Paulette Goddard?
November 1, 2009
The Ghost Breakers is a likeable film. It's a silly "horror" movie that seems to just be a vehicle for Bob Hope to say one-liners, but I'm ok with that. It's not Bob Hope's best, but it's enjoyable. It also seems to be the first comedic movie with a zombie in it.
October 22, 2009
Holy Crap, the jokes come so fast and you barely have time to get it and laugh before they're three jokes away. Everyone is brilliant, and what do you know, I was actually spooked a couple of times! First time I ever saw Bob Hope, and I am very impressed!
½ October 11, 2009
This is one of Bob Hope's funniest and best movies. His comic timing has rarely been better. Paulette Goddard is terrific and Willie Best steals every scene he's in. It is always entertaining and a must for anyone who appreciates Bob Hope's special brand of humor.
½ September 4, 2009
A crime/suspense/comedy/romance/horror film starring Bob Hope. Hope's character thinks he kills someone, so he flees from the scene and ends up on a boat heading for Cuba along with his manservant. This manservant isn't as funny as the one in King of the Zombies, but as a whole the movie was really funny and had some parts that were sure to scare when it was released. Organized crime, a ghost, a zombie, a castle, slimy Caribbean characters, voodoo, and a pretty innocent lady inheritoress all play parts in this hilarious film. Probably the best Bob Hope film I have seen (no singing and dancing).
March 12, 2009
this was the first film ever to scare me lol
January 20, 2009
It's true. Bob Hope pretty much played one character. People get down on Robin Williams for that sort of thing, but consider this. Bob Hope lived to be 100 years old. His first job in show business was working for [i]Fatty Arbuckle[/i]. I mean, that was when Fatty Arbuckle was still allowed to work under his own name. (Look it up. It's another one of the great Hollywood scandals proving that scandals were more interesting in the early days.) Okay, he was a dancer then, but still. Let's say his schtick started at his first film--which I'm pretty sure it didn't. That only pushes it forward ten years, to 1934. That was, counting until his last TV appearance in 2003, that's [i]seventy years[/i] of doing the same basic character. No [i]One Hour Photo[/i] for Bob. Just cowardice and golf jokes for longer than a lot of people are alive.

In this one, Bob's a radio figure. A Walter Winchell-y sort, I think. (Look that up, too.) Anyway, he somehow manages to piss off the mob, which somehow gets him into the room of one Mary Carter (Paulette Goddard), which somehow ends with him stowing away to Cuba. How doesn't really matter, does it? I mean, it would [i]now[/i], because, you know, Castro, but back then, Cuba was a popular vacation spot for Americans. Anyway, Mary owns some little island off what I guess is Havana, and the island has a castle on it, and the castle is supposed to be haunted. Hilarity ensues as Hope and Goddard and Hope's stereotyped black manservant, Alex (Willie Best) end up on the island, in the dark, trying to find out the secrets of the castle, which may even include zombies. Because, you know, zombies.

I do not expect a Bob Hope movie to make sense. This, of course, is a good thing. Because I can pretty much promise you that this one doesn't. I may have missed some details, because I wasn't giving it my full attention, but the plot is just a place to carry us from one set of hijinks to another. You know that Bob Hope will solve the mystery, though getting the girl isn't always a guarantee for him--see all the [i]Road[/i] pictures--and he will be scared of the ghosts the whole time. Though I will say that, in this one, the patented Hope cowardice isn't as prominent.

So let's talk about Alex for a minute. He is the stereotyped black manservant, as I said. However, compare him to Eddie Anderson, Jack Benny's sidekick and "Eddie the chauffeur" in [i]Topper Returns[/i]. (And Uncle Peter in [i]Gone With the Wind[/i].) In [i]Topper Returns[/i], everyone else in the film is of sterner stuff than Eddie. There's a real, live (so to speak) ghost wandering around the picture, but he's afraid of everything, not just the ghost. Alex manages to keep his cool in at least on crisis over the course of the movie, helping Bob Hope out of a situation he couldn't've gotten out of on his own--or even, possibly, with the help of Goddard. He doesn't get much of a personality, but Bob Hope doesn't talk down to him as Topper talks down to Eddie. Then again, he doesn't need to--Alex is smarter.

This is not a complicated film. There's a fair amount of plot here, but again, it just kind of slides us from one place to another. The beginning has to happen in New York, so there has to be a reason to get the characters on the boat. Bob Hope has to encounter the ghost story, so there has to be a reason to get him on the island. Step by step, the whole thing gets set up. It makes just enough sense to hang the story on, and you kind of get the feeling that it's all anybody really cared about.
½ December 18, 2008
Dark, Hope-ish comedy that doesn't disappoint.
½ November 16, 2008
Very funny and charming. I wish Willie Best would have been acknowledged more.
September 9, 2008
lovely comedy, whose use of atmospherics n dark creepy houses raise a few chills together with all the laughs bob hope brings. great film watchable again and again
½ July 31, 2008
Pretty funny Bob Hope movie, Ghost Breakers is just fun and energetic and well acted, to boot!
July 3, 2008
Good paranormal humor.
½ June 12, 2008
Humorous and fun spooky tale featuring Bob Hope as Lawrence Lawrence Lawrence. Paulette Goddard delerivers a fine performance and Hope's performance is equally good with less jokes than usual. Hope's sidekick Alex (performed by Willie Best) gives more of the comedic element of the film and his facial expressions are timeless. The haunted swamp setting seems like it would have been the background Hanna-Barbera would later use in their Scooby-Doo Where Are You? series and adds all the thrills and suspense element to the film. Although George Marshall later made a remarkably similar film later starring Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis called Scared Stiff, this was the original and very clever even if the Martin and Lewis one is funnier. A classic Bob Hope film no matter what and very enjoyable.
May 8, 2008
One of my favorite movies, have watched it too many times to figure out.
May 3, 2008
A great Bob Hope movie the entire family can enjoy :)
April 11, 2008
What a blast! Bob Hope was refreshing in every scene. There were a lot of lose ends left to tie up, but for the time, I think it was an excellent flick.
March 20, 2008
This is one of my favorite comiedies of all time. Bob Hope's one liners are classic and transcend time. Paulette Goddard is smoking hot!!! Willie Best craks me up and gives a under appreciated performance that is the perfect supporting role for Hope. This is movie that will never get old and that truly will last for the ages
March 9, 2008
Brilliant. Bob Hope at his sensational best
March 6, 2008
Classic! I love this movie!