Ghost in the Shell Reviews

• Sep 10, 2019

One of the most faithful adaptation to its source material.

One of the most faithful adaptation to its source material.

• Sep 02, 2019

One of only 3 good live action anime adaptations that exist. Most of the complaints about this movie, are from people complaining that the main character is played by scarjo, but the whole premise of the movie, is that she's in the wrong body. Let me tell you something about this franchise. The main character, in universe, uses the single most mass-produced robot body on the planet, in order to best blend into a crowd as a spy. The most mass produced robot body on the planet, happens to be a white female. This is true in the anime. this is true in the manga. you do see the main character in this movie, BEFORE being given the robot scarjo body. guess what? She's actually asian. More to the point, the biggest complaint about the anime that this is based on, is that the main character, major kusanagi, has the emotional range of scarlett johansson. So all in all, that was actually perfect casting, unless you're one of these people that thinks people's skin is important to who they are and what job they can do. All that being said, I mentioned this is one of the only 3 good anime live action adaptations. It is the worst of the 3, but it is still good. The reason it's the worst of the 3, is that it is basically a mashup of past plot-lines, and doesn't add anything new. It's got things taken shot for shot, from the original anime movie, and plot points taken verbatim from the first and second anime movies, and elements from the first and second season of the series 'stand alone complex' and '2nd gig'. it also includes a few elements from the manga that where never in any of the anime. It takes so much that nothing that happens is truly original, but it leaves so much out to have left open for a sequel that was just as much of a mashup. if you enjoy ghost in the shell, for more than just the 1995 anime movie, then you'll probably enjoy this. If you ONLY like the '95 anime movie, and don't like anything else from the franchise, you can probably give this a pass.

• Aug 27, 2019

Visually stunning and very close to the original it is based on. Sadly the story have been changed so significantly, I wouldn't even call it a remake. Characters are bland and not very interesting. Shame, because I think all the actors in this movie have a lot of talent, but I think the script just didn't utilise them very well. All show, no substance.

• Aug 14, 2019

I didn't see the anime so found the concept mind blowing! Overall very good :)

I didn't see the anime so found the concept mind blowing! Overall very good :)

• Aug 09, 2019

With breathtaking visuals and a spectacular soundtrack, this movie was a delight for the senses. I loved the characters and performances throughout and the production design is easily some of the best I've ever seen with great attention to details rendering a fully realized, fascinating vision of neo Tokyo. I understand why the critical reviews were not as favorable as the movie truly deserved, as it deals with very weighty subjects in somewhat of a shallow way on its path to the next action set piece. However, it does great tribute to the original even though it has a wildly different plot, it stands solidly on its own feet as a visually splendid adaptation.

• Aug 05, 2019

Con GITS ya sabía que me iba a encontrar algo dificil de analizar. Por un lado la fuente original es tan influyente, original y de calidad, que es difícil estar a la altura de las circunstancias. Por otro lado el caso de la elección del reparto es una obvia situación problemática. Por desgracia creo que se falla en las dos. A nivel técnico por supuesto esta es una cinta excelente y tanto sus CGI como el diseño de producción es excelentísimo, y si bien visualmente no se utilizan los mismos recursos narrativos de la original, el resultado es satisfactorio. Pero a partir de aquí… El poco entendimiento de la filosofía de la fuente original es algo palpable y no sé si es intencional (para hacer la cinta más accesible) o por pura ignorancia. Esto es super evidente en la escena en la que Makoto se sumerge, qué falla tanto a nivel narrativo como visual. Es obvio que no existe la necesidad de ser igual a la obra de Masamune Shirow, pero hacer algo tan simplón cuando otras obras de mucho éxito han bebido de la original (como la saga de Matrix), me parece una un trabajo vago. El tema del "white-washing" ni lo toco, pero estoy a favor de los que se han quejado, y encima no creo que sea un buen trabajo de la Johansson (aunque creo que es más un problema de dirección). GITS es una cinta con problemas, en la que al menos si apagas el cerebro un rato, o si no te importa la fuente original, la puedes disfrutar.

• Jul 26, 2019

Was ok, bit had some weird stuff too. For example Scarlet should not of been cast.. i like her, but honestly a Japanese actor would of been better for me. The director would speak to the major in japanese and she would reply in English, which was odd. They casted well on many others, but not the major.

• Jul 24, 2019

I never had the interest to watch this in theaters, but I watched it a while ago in Netflix, and it might as well be a guilty pleasure of mine. I still have to process the story though, I haven't grasped it completely. The best part of the film was the beautiful Scarlett Johansson in the lead role. People went berserk when they learned of her casting, and accused the film of being racist and offensive towards Japanese culture, but that mentality is flawed, and here's why: First of all, western cultures do NOT speak for the Japanese, and in fact, when they were asked how did they feel about Scarlett being cast, they thought she was a nice choice. Second, they also have a very interesting opinion on live-action anime remakes: Anime characters are very colorful and have bright eyes and hair, and when they're adapted to a live-action, they lose their by being portrayed by an average actor, so having a light-eyed woman like Scarlett on the role seems more fitting. It's not the best film ever (maybe not even a good one), but it can still be very enjoyable when you have nothing to do.

• Jul 20, 2019

An excellent live-action adaptation of a manga, not from an anime. It is a PREQUEL, not a remake. Hence the subdued plot and mystery, as a crescendo for the original animation, that is the sequel. The fact that it is a prequel is clear from beginning to the end. Among other facts, Batou doesn't start with his cybernetic eyes, Section 9 still has to answer to exterior corporations, and the final scene is the first scene of the animation. Many professional critics claims this live-action made bad changes to the "source animation", and it misses the point completely, as it is a prequel to it, that does homage to it through-out. Maybe they entered so focused on having a negative view based on race buzz, that failed to notice an uttermost basic point. As a prequel, does it a great job of establishing a crescendo to the original animation? I think it does. It kept me enthralled from beginning to end.

• Jul 20, 2019

Virtually uninspired, ironically through its abundent source material. Though it's visuals is able to keep this lackluster 'reimagining' afloat for at least a bit of popcorn entertainment. 2/5