Ghost Ship Reviews

• Jul 20, 2019

The Ghost Ship is a short and simple film that shows the battle between a newly-appointed third officer on a ship and the captain who has gone a bit mad with power. The ideas in the film are great, and I think it could make for a strong film if it was explored a little more carefully and with a bit more skill. The fact that it becomes obvious early on that the captain is indeed going crazy, and that the third officer is right the entire time, there is less intrigue in the film. It still had some tense moments, because they created an atmosphere reminiscent of a slasher film. Several times you became tense and worried who would die next and if the protagonist would survive. I still think the plot would have been better if we weren’t sure if it was the captain or the third officer who was going crazy, but at least they maintained some tension to keep me interested. One other thing worth mentioning is the horrendous voiceover for a mute officer. That was a ridiculous choice that did not work at all. The Ghost Ship has some potential, but as it stands, I found it a bit lacking.

• Nov 02, 2018

One of the five collaborations between director Mark Robson and producer Val Lewton (best known for his low-budget RKO horror films which included Cat People and I Walked with a Zombie, both directed by Jacques Tourneur). Although Robsonâ(TM)s best Lewton film is certainly The Seventh Victim (also 1943) about a nihilistic Satanic cult, The Ghost Ship manages to summon up a similar sense of dread in places. Russell Wade plays Tom Merriam who has just signed on to be the Third Officer on the ship Altair, captained by Richard Dixâ(TM)s Will Stone. Stone is a sombre character, weighted down by his âauthorityâ? which we wields with a heavy hand, although alternating with moments of fatherly warmth. When Merriam begins to think the captain is deranged and suspects foul play, he calls the shipping company to turn him in. After that, the forces of doom seem aligned against him and shadows lurk in every corner of the ship. His former friends turn against him. Will there be any escape from the sullen and brooding captain? As in other Lewton pictures, a real sense of menace and dread is created here using very subtle means: darkness, a camera shot fixed on a slowly opening door, noises from offscreen. A creepy mute sailor adds a further spooky touch.

• Nov 29, 2013

A moody maritime mystery with murder and mutiny!

A moody maritime mystery with murder and mutiny!

• May 10, 2013

not entirely a horror movie in 21st century terms but an interesting use of sound effects and a catchy singing motif "ho ho blow the man down..."

• Jan 24, 2013

A weaker Lewton-RKO effort, but still worth seeing.

A weaker Lewton-RKO effort, but still worth seeing.

• Apr 30, 2012

Nice little forties thriller! Unfortunately I just can't enjoy films like this as much as they probably deserve as the last 70 years have seen some serious developments in the thriller/mystery genre but this really is nicely done for its time!

• Jan 13, 2012

Unusual WWII examination of authority figures.

Unusual WWII examination of authority figures.

• Oct 31, 2011

Monday, October 31, 2011 (1943) The Ghost Ship THRILLER Well known producer Val Lewton's attempts at a unique version of "Mutiny At The Bounty" instead of doing what he does best with horror films, such as "Cat People", "The Seventh Victim", and "I Walk With a Zombie"! Respected skipper doubts maniac captain's sanity while on board on ship and makes attempts to discredit him by holding him accountable for a death that might be murder. Although this film does have some of Val Lewton's touches, it is very outdated and irrevelent! Strictly for Lewton fans only! 2.5 out of 4

• Aug 15, 2011

A young seaman who has just been made third officer on a ship begins to realise that his captain just might be mad, and a murderer. Like most Val Lewton-produced movies, the atmosphere is haunting and tense, particularly in the first half of the movie. The Captain's obsession with authority could be read as a commentary on the clash between liberal and totalitarian societies, highly topical in 1943.

• Apr 20, 2011