Ghostbusters (1984 Original) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ghostbusters (1984 Original) Reviews

August 8, 2016
"He slimed me."

I am going to get such a bollocking for this review...but here it goes...

The main plot of Ghostbusters basically entails three scientific parapsychologists who aim to help others with their paranormal removal service based in New York City.

So, Ghostbusters has some pretty impressive visuals for the time. Actually, really superb effects that even hold up today. That, and some great one liners from Bill Muarry make up the shining parts of this movie. Sure, it can also be periodically fun, I admit seeing a giant Marshmallow man tear through the streets of New York in fury is highly amusing and playful.

That's all I have to praise about Ghostbusters.

Go ahead, say what you want down in the comments, but it is beyond physically comprehensible to me how this is considered a 'Masterpiece' in some minds. First of all, where is the plot? There is literally no driving motive in this entire film apart from 'We're the Ghostbusters so....well yeah we have to' and a shoehorned post-appocalypto mumbo jumbo wave to start off the ending in the third act. We have characters, who you simply do not care about because the story rams them in head first. The opening title of 'Ghostbusters' does not layer something comical, humorous, spooky or profane. No. It layers a fucking street. This seems to be a table read of Ghostbusters, with some actors saying what they're going to think, say and do without doing it. I swear on my mothers life, I had to check if I was watching 'Ghostbusters 2' accidentally in light of the sequels mixed reviews before I realised I was watching what in my mind, is now one of the most over-hyped, overplayed and unbelievably praised films of all time.

Who you gonna call? Someone more entertaining and Charming hopefully. I swear, If the SNL sketch 'funinism' reboot is better than this, I will be so internally broken.

C-

43/100
August 6, 2016
One of the best films of the 80's, with Aykroyd & Ramis at the top of their writing game. Spectacular pacing & effects, and succeeds at both the horror and the comedy level.
August 4, 2016
Really good and interesting. I don't view it as a comedy, I view it as the best ghost movie ever.
½ August 4, 2016
A beautiful blend of horror and comedy makes Ghostbusters a great with each character being similar on how they steal the screen with the main cast playing off each other making for one of the best comedies ever.
August 2, 2016
Ghostbusters is directed by Ivan Reitman, and it stars Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Sigourney Weaver, Harold Ramis, Rick Moranis, and Ernie Hudson in a supernatural comedy about 3 university guys who always wanted to see a ghost to know whether they exist, and when they saw one, they start a ghost catching business. I was looking forward to go back to it knowing that it's a classic film, and that I'm more prepared for the reboot film. The acting is fantastic in this, with Bill Murray being really funny at deadpan. The movie has a mix of special effects with practical effects with I really like, even if the stop-motion effects look bad. The script by Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis is very well written with quotable lines and hilarious jokes. The interplay between the Ghostbusters is also pretty well done, and their characters alone make me very invested in the film. The villain, while a bit brief, is really memorable as I haven't quite seen this before in a much older film. The songs are still catchy to listen to, and Walter Peck motivation makes sense as the things the Ghostbusters do, would be hazardous to the environment. Ghostbusters is always a fun movie to watch, and I will watch it again in the future.
½ August 2, 2016
I think I will never really grasp what made this mildly entertaining movie so adored when it was released; it is funny and has great performances (especially Bill Murray, ad-libbing insanely), but it drags a bit and the special effects look awfully cheesy and dated today.
½ August 2, 2016
The story is incredibly simple, but its irreverence and originality must have really set it apart at the time. I really enjoyed the comedic moments and it's surprising too note that the special effects don't look that bad - despite the fact that the movie is more than 30 years old.
½ August 1, 2016
The comedy doesn't really hold up well but there's a certain nostalgia to this film that makes it impossible not to like. Yes, the story is ridiculous and none of it really makes any sense, but it's enjoyable.
August 1, 2016
Some great and comedic moments here and there...the action scenes and cheesy CGI are not my thing, but with the entrance of the Marshmallow Man, this movie ends on an overall mellow but innocuously insubstantial note for me. An enjoyable watch and a worthy pop culture classic to be sure, but the movie is not something I'll likely venture out to see again.
July 31, 2016
For not having ANY CGI, Industrial Light and Majic did and outstanding Job.
I went to see this movie as a Child, It was Awesome then.
It still has not let me down, even today!
July 30, 2016
What in the world were many of the original "critics" thinking when they reviewed this movie??... This thing was horrible. Plus, it was simply stupid. Lame waste of time.
July 30, 2016
Recently terminated college professors form a successful business hunting down specters, becoming a locally famous group entitled "Ghostbusters." Ghostbusters is a 1980s comedy that has become an American classic. Nearly every American old enough to remember this film will always respond to the question, "Who ya gonna call?" with "Ghostbusters," regardless of its relevance to the situation at hand. Despite its significance in American culture and film, Ghostbusters is mostly an average '80s comedy. Its weak screenplay and unique style of comedy (a corny blend of Mel Brooks and National Lampoon style comedies) leaves much wanting. There are too many plot holes and inconsistencies that Reitman tries to cover up with goop and ghouls -- that didn't work for me. Nevertheless the comedic genius and powerful personalities of Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd redeem its faults and make the film the classic it has come to be. Not my cup of tea, but I understand why so many loved it.
July 29, 2016
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Ghostbusters es sin duda original, y muy divertida. Pero, siendo objetivos, los efectos especiales hechos por computadora no son del todo convincente, y el guión es muy simple (a pesar de maquillarlo con unas cuantas palabras seudocientíficas), si bien no es una película de mi gusto buena, cumple su función de entretener, así que solo espera eso, entretenerte un momento, tal vez luego se te olvide lo que viste, a no ser que seas un ferviente fan ochentero.
½ July 29, 2016
Not the amazing experience we think it is but still a fun and enjoyable movie, that creatively blends comedy and horror in a way that isn't comedy horror. It more than earns it's classic film status.
½ July 26, 2016
Before I watch the new all female remake of one of the most beloved movies from the 80's, I have decided to rewatch this "masterpiece". Unfortunately, I do not see it as a masterpiece but I do see it as a fun Sci-Fi Comedy. That is one of the big reasons why this film is loved so much by many, is that it perfectly blends Sci-Fi and Comedy and with a genre mashup like that, they casted perfectly. Bill Murray is super witty, Harold Ramis is so serious and Dan Aykroyd actually believes ghosts are real and is extremely over-the-top. Not to mention Sigourney Weaver, Ernie Hudson and Rick Moranis all have great lines and time to shine as well. This premise is just super cool and the cast makes this movie hilarious with their dry and sarcastic humour (which in my opinion works better than the Low-Brow type of humour that we see in current comedies) Overall, if there's a fun Sci-Fi Comedy you want to see from the 80's, watch Back to the Future... then watch Ghostbusters :)
July 26, 2016
Dry humour with compelling characters and a fun plot wrapped up in an iconic aesthetic! What's not to love?!
½ July 26, 2016
Peak Bill Murray. The chemistry between all of the main cast is immediate and undeniable, but it's really Murray's film.
July 26, 2016
Ghostbusters is somewhat entertaining. I didn't really like this movie. It does have tons of action and some jokes. I just didn't feel it needed a big hype. I would somewhat suggest this movie.
July 25, 2016
A classic. It always will be. That is all...