Ghostbusters (1984 Original) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ghostbusters (1984 Original) Reviews

July 18, 2016
This is the Ghostbusters you want to see. Ghostbusters (1984) is without doubt one of the best (if not THE BEST) movies of the 80's. The story is pretty straight forward; they're paranormal investigators who also catch any spooks you might have for a reasonable fee ($5000!). Besides that, they're also the ones who end up saving New York from an ancient evil and a giant marshmallow man. I honestly hope that wasn't TOO spoiler heavy, but you've really got to see this movie for yourself. At this point, this movie towers over that excuse of a movie known as Ghostbusters: Answer the Call *cough* *cough* *wheeze*.
July 17, 2016
The song is catchy. The concept is clever. Bill Murray is funny. The costumes are iconic. But for me the positives end there. People think of this movie through a fuzzy nostalgic lens. Watching it today, after the bar has been raised so much since then, leaves it feeling very flat and dated...

And yet it's still better than the remake.
July 17, 2016
E pra completar, revendo o original.
July 16, 2016
Ghostbusters is a great fun movie that is plenty weird. The cast is phenomenal with Murray getting the most screen time. More time of them all together could have been a benefit.
July 16, 2016
Showed this to my wife who, to my shame, I allowed get this far in life without seeing it.

Watching it again after 5+ years I realized:
-This movie is so funny its painful
-The IP is so unique its no wonder there have been so many false starts in trying to keep it going.
-WINSTON ZEDDMORE is the most underwritten character I can think of and a completely squandered opportunity to give the Ghostbusters the voice of the common man. Every decade that goes by, his tragic lack of development as a character becomes more and more apparent to me.

Thats literally the only flaw I have with the film, though. Had the film treated Winston like he too was a Ghostbuster, this movie would've had no flaws. As it is, its still literally brilliant.
July 15, 2016
One of the greatest movies ever made. Full of so much humor and suspense.
½ July 15, 2016
This classic movie is a masterpiece of comedy and a staple in american film history. The special effects used were beyond their time and incredibly well placed. The cast play off each other as though they were actually the rag tag, Manhattan team of ghost fighters they play, making it a compelling, believable experience. Ghostbusters is a must see movie for anyone interested in the literature that is filmmaking.
July 15, 2016
With some of cinema's greatest comic actors leading a sharp and witty combination of campy horror and gut busting hilarity, Ghostbusters is an absolute classic, and one of the decade's most defining and iconic comedies
½ July 15, 2016
Ghostbusters is directed by Ivan Reitman, and it stars Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Sigourney Weaver, Harold Ramis, Rick Moranis, and Ernie Hudson in a supernatural comedy about 3 university guys who always wanted to see a ghost to know whether they exist, and when they saw one, they start a ghost catching business. I was looking forward to go back to it knowing that it's a classic film, and that I'm more prepared for the reboot film. The acting is fantastic in this, with Bill Murray being really funny at deadpan. The movie has a mix of special effects with practical effects with I really like, even if the stop-motion effects look bad. The script by Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis is very well written with quotable lines and hilarious jokes. The interplay between the Ghostbusters is also pretty well done, and their characters alone make me very invested in the film. The villain, while a bit brief, is really memorable as I haven't quite seen this before in a much older film. The songs are still catchy to listen to, and Walter Peck motivation makes sense as the things the Ghostbusters do, would be hazardous to the environment. Ghostbusters is always a fun movie to watch, and I will watch it again in the future.
July 15, 2016
"Ghostbusters" is simply perfect. It's a culmination of everything coming together into something that can never and WILL never be duplicated. Bill Murray at his deadpan comic best, with a solid supporting cast that are all written masterfully by Harold Ramis and company. It's part spoof, part comedy and part horror film that combines into something so delicious.
July 15, 2016
Great acting. Fun special effects. Great sense of humor and fun film. Bizarre story that actually works out in the end. And a giant marshmallow man. What else can I say, but great.
July 15, 2016
It's Ghostbusters. Enough said.
July 15, 2016
The fresh original idea of busting ghosts not only still holds up, but Ghostbusters also still succeeds in the comedic performances of its talented cast
July 15, 2016
Best sci-fi comedy and one of the best 5 films Hollywood ever created.
July 14, 2016
Funny, smart, but is silly. 4/5 stars.
July 14, 2016
It's a classic mix and formula of SciFi/Horror/Comedy with a talented comedy trio and the always cool Ernie Hudson.
July 14, 2016
Nothing beats the Original NOTHING!!!
July 13, 2016
Back off man, I'm a scientist!
A Slightly Skewed Review of Ivan Reitman's "Ghostbusters"

Paranormal Exterminators, Poltergeist Custodians, Professional Paranormal Investigators, Scientists, Geniuses, Businessmen, Comedic Genius. All of these could be used to describe both the Ghostbusters themselves and the film that bears that name. Without a doubt, Ghostbusters is one of my very favorite movies from the 1980's among the ranks of Back to the Future, The Terminator, etc. and for that matter easily is in my top 20 films of all time. Yup. This review is gonna be a bit gushy, and next time I'll be a bit more objective but for now let's talk about how awesome this movie really is. I'm going to forgo the synopsis as I'm sure that you've already seen this awesome flick.

First to categorize the film, I'd be hard pressed to call it an out right comedy. At least by today's standards of what makes a movie a comedy. There are no slapstick moments of someone getting hurt or pratfalls and tripping and falling, or anything as juvenile as that. Most of the comedic moments come from the very well written and even better delivered lines of dialogue written by stars Dan Akroyd and Harold Ramis.
But then there are moments of true terror. For me, it was always the "Terror Dogs" aka The Keymaster and The Gatekeeper. I remember always looking away when watching those parts as a kid. So, maybe a Horror-Comedy? A Sci-Fi-Comedy? How about just what the film's marketing called it: A Supernatural-Comedy.

I love the cast of Ghostbusters. The whole cast. Even the small bit parts such as the mayor. It was truly everyone firing on all cylinders. Bill Murray is my personal favorite as Peter Venkman with a dry, sardonic wit that Murray does so well. Dan Akroyd and Harold Ramis as Ray Stantz and Egon Spengler respectively, are the "brains" of the operation and are constantly spouting out techno-babble that is honestly fun to listen to. Ernie Hudson rounds out the cast as Winston Zeddemore who is what's known as the "every man", i.e. someone who is not from the world of the three scientists who gets a job as the fourth 'Buster by answering a help wanted ad in the paper when business starts to pick up. He speaks very plainly and in a way that most people would understand, unlike Ray and Egon who constantly talk about collecting spores, molds, and fungus.

The direction isn't flashy but that isn't Ivan Reitman's style. Everything is framed and shot well and you never miss anything because of the shot composition. My personal favorite is a simple one, the first time Sigourney Weaver's character Dana Barrett comes to the Ghostbusters' office to inquire about a possible haunting in her apartment, she's talking to the receptionist Janine (played by Annie Potts) and upon hearing her speak, Venkman, whose office is right behind the reception area pops up on the far right of the shot and runs toward his potential new client, jumps over a bannister, and stops right in front of her all without the camera moving.

Everything from the acting, to the production design, to the lighting, to the camera work all get solid A's. But of particular note for me is the acting. I think that had we not had that particular cast for this particular movie, no one would remember Ghostbusters with such fond memories and regard it as such a classic. It would just have slipped into obscurity as a product of it's time much like say the Super Mario Bros. movie did in the early 1990's. It was lightning in a bottle and will never be replicated. As evidenced by it's sequel, "Ghostbusters 2" which should have worked better than it did considering it had the same cast AND crew that the original had. Definitive proof that you can't replicate something that was so, for lack of a better word, "perfect" the first time around. I give Ghostbusters my highest rating of 5 out of 5 stars. If you haven't seen it, SEE IT! If you don't own it, OWN IT! It's worth the space on your shelf and the Blu-Ray isn't very expensive. So if there's something strange, in your neighborhood, who you gonna call? I know who I'm calling.....
July 13, 2016
they're all in their primes and at their funniest. one of the best comedies ever conceived
½ July 13, 2016
Am entertaining, funny classic even if it doesn't quite live up to other classics of its time.