Ghosts - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ghosts Reviews

February 12, 2016
Love this!! KING OF POP!!
September 18, 2014
This 35 minute film is the longest music video ever made. It's an odd beast, not the least because it's quite obviously a direct reply to sexual abuse allegations that had been levelled against him. That aside, the plot is strange since Jackson seems to defend himself against the charge that he's weird and scary by being weird and scary. Go figure. Stan Winston's work is, as expected, phenomenal, but the whole thing leaves me with a vaguely bad feeling.
July 6, 2014
May be good since no one relly. Has seen it yet
July 24, 2013
It beats the video of thriller, the best Michael jackson music video ever and one of the best music videos ever made. 4\5 Very good.
½ June 4, 2013
Thriller this definitely isn't. While the Stan Winston makeup is good when Jacko is the mayor, this is just stale and pretty stupid. I think this is when I stopped caring about his videos.
November 1, 2012
Michael really make this one great
August 5, 2012
As cool and as exciting as a Haunted house movie can get with an impressive performance by Michael Jackson with the result of the best Haunted House short film ever made. A pure flare of Entertainment. 10/10+
March 31, 2012
Saw it once. That was enough. I'm an MJ fan, but this music video just derailed from the get-go.
September 10, 2011
An other proof that the pop music scene lost a big talent... long before his death.
michael e.
August 28, 2011
Fun entertaining and one of MJ's greatest songs of all time, and one of his best music videos.
½ March 26, 2011
Strange but really good
½ January 2, 2011
As an original MJ fan since the mid 80s' I thought that the story line is what Michael Felt was happening to him, and it was. It was good, not amazing, not bad, just good.
I praise MJ's acting style.
½ December 2, 2010
Short film/musical video which is along the same lines as 'Thriller' but not quite as good to be honest. Directed by Stan Winston so you can imagine I'm not lying when I say the whole thing looks damn good plus any video MJ tended to do always did have allot of good imagination/fantasy elements which usually looked great and kinda pushed the boat that little bit in terms of special effects. This isn't as much of a earth changing short film but it still has some fantastic horror makeup, costume design, a great set and the standard MJ musical dance routines with many dancers backing him up. If you like MJ you will like this (I enjoyed it as a fan) and its worth seeing if you like Winstons work also as there are some really nice sequences eg. a skeletal MJ doing his famous moves.
½ August 6, 2010
"Did I scare you?"

I wouldn't actually categorize this as a film. 'Ghosts' is a genuine music video and in fact holds the record of the longest music video ever made. And what a music video it is!

I have to start by saying that I've recently started to listen to Michael Jackson's music. After his death, he became more covered in the media and I just became interested. Don't get me wrong. I've known his music since the late 80's and I've even tried unsuccessfully to copy his moonwalkin'. Never managed to do it... Not a dancer. Now I've started to listen to his music and I'll say this from the heart: Michael Jackson is an Entertainer.

I saw 'Ghosts' back in '97 when it was shown on the TV. It was promoted as the biggest video ever and they were right. 'Ghosts' was fantastic and, now 13 years later, still looks amazing. What I've learned from MJ is that everything he did, he did it thoroughly with great focus and ambitions. Think of it, 13 year old SFX's and they hardly seem out dated.

There is a small hunt-and-banish the freaky guy out of town plot but that's not the point here. It's all about MJ's dance and music. He is the greatest single performer that has ever lived. The timing of his music, the usage of his body... The background dancers. Everything is guaranteed MJ. Just as the fans like it.

There are small things that bothered me a bit. In '97, MJ had already reached the peak of his career. The songs in 'Ghosts' aren't just not good enough. They're ok but like so many other artists, MJ made his best songs in the start of his career. Another thing was the obvious "twist" that I figured out instantly. It kinda weakened the whole experience.

'Ghosts' is no "Thriller" but this I can say... 'Ghosts' is the biggest (and probably most expensive) music video ever made. It also works as a short film and it's definitely worth a look, especially if you're a fan of the late legendary visual effects and make-up artist guru, Stan Winston.
July 15, 2010
40 minutes MJ Revolution.
June 26, 2010
quite stressful but very cool
June 25, 2010
THE Best Music Video EVER!
May 18, 2010
Stunning and excellent!
April 10, 2010
Before watching the 1997 film, "Ghosts", you should watch the music video to the song "Ghost" by Michael Jackson. It is three minutes and fifty-seven seconds long, and it gives a taster of what the film is like.

An ordinary large town has a creepy, old, dark, mysterious mansion on the outskirts. The Maestro (Michael Jackson) is an elusive young man who lives in the old mansion. All the children of the town go to the mansion every day, and the Maestro entertains them with his wonderful, supernatural powers. The children end up telling their parents about all the fun they have at the Maestro's home. Gradually, all the adults of the town hear about this, and none of them trust the Maestro, especially the Mayor (Michael Jackson), who is a pompous, old, fat man, who dresses smartly. Despite what the kids say, the people of the town get together, and agree that that night, they would banish the Maestro from the town, remove everything he owned, and destroy his house.

Late that night, there is a storm. All the townspeople have arrived outside the Maestro's house. The further they get into the house, the more frightened the people become. It's only the children who show excitement at what they may experience on this particular trip. When they reach the main hall of the house, they hear an odd noise from a dark corner and the Mayor nominates himself to investigate. A skeleton wearing a long black robe appears from the darkness, scaring all in the room. The Maestro emerges from behind what is revealed to be a skull mask, and asks if he scared anybody. In a forced brave tone the Mayor insists that the Maestro may have scared everybody else but he didn't scare him, and the Maestro states that he must try harder next time. Bucking up some courage, the Mayor begins to tell the Maestro that a quiet and normal town like his doesn't need a "freaky boy" like him, and demands that he leave town. A small argument follows, with the Maestro admitting that although he does like to frighten people, he only does it for fun, and the children agree that they enjoy their experiences in his house. However, the Mayor refuses to accept this, threatening that he will use force if need be. Taking this as a challenge, the Maestro attempts to scare the Mayor - first mockingly, pulling faces, which getting stranger as he stretches the skin around his eyes and mouth by inches, and then he means business.
March 29, 2010
Michael!!! I love him :P
i have to watch this soon