Ghoulies 3: Ghoulies Go to College - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ghoulies 3: Ghoulies Go to College Reviews

July 1, 2011
This is probably the best of the Ghoulies films
½ May 31, 2011
Graduates at the top of the Ghoulies class. The Ghoulies are summoned to college during fraternity prank week. The Ghoulies now speak and are much funnier than the real actors. Ghoulies' beer run and panty raid scenes are classic.
½ February 21, 2011
Super campy. Enjoyable at times. But mostly really stupid.
½ September 5, 2010
By the time Ghoulies III got made (Excuse me, the title card on the film reads Ghoulies Go to College), Charles Band's Empire Pictures had folded and Band was up and running his new company Full Moon Entertainment. Surprisingly the Ghoulies franchise moved on without his involvement. What?! A franchise about killer small creatures and Band has no involvement? I never thought he would let a concept like that get away from him! Still special effects creator and frequent Charles Band collaborator John Carl Buechler takes the reins of this sequel by both directing and doing the effects. Without Band's involvement Buechler is free to take the franchise in a new direction and he does by making it more of a comedy.

This time our three main ghoulies are resurrected by a comic book found hidden in a frat houses bathroom wall. When read aloud by a professor (the great Kevin McCarthy) that recently confiscated the comic book, they rise up from their demonic toilet to cause chaos on a college campus. Now our main character, a prankster who heads the fraternity has to earn the love back of his girl while at the same time clearing his name and stopping the Ghoulies and their new master.

Some fans may be disappointed that the franchise takes a comedic turn but to be honest fellas, the first two entries sucked and were only good for unintentional laughs. Buechler knows this and decides to have fun with the concept. He even makes a toilet, which were predominate on all the promotional posters in the series up till this point, and makes it a integral plot device. That takes talent to do that!

The characters for this type of B-picture are standard but the ghoulies are a little different. First of all the special effects are MUCH better than the first two films. The ghoulies in the original looked like toys that had been left out in the sun too long. Here they look fucking great as Buechler must have put a lot more time and effort into their creation. They also move better and even talk! Yes the ghoulies talk in this film and try to make funny one liners.

Not surprisingly most of the jokes fall flat but I did get a chuckle here and there, especially during a scene when a ghoulie grabs a beer from a fridge only to have a whole mountain of cans fall on them. Some of the humor is also rather slap sticky and cartoony, especially when they kill a women by wrapping her tongue around her neck and also killing a woman by pulling her face with a plunger.

Ghoulies III may get a few chuckles but it is still a pretty lame film but to be honest it's the least lame of a really LAME franchise. This one at least has the decency to know it's got a bad concept and doesn't take itself seriously and it has enough stupid fun for a viewing. For some damn reason this is the only film in the series that doesn't have a DVD release in the United States. Come on Lionsgate! I want to complete my Ghoulies tetralogy on DVD! I was regulated to watching an extremely wore out ex-rental VHS and I want to see my ghoulies digitally mastered!
½ June 18, 2010
The Ghoulies have voices, annoying voices and the spit out bad jokes and I hate them.
½ June 18, 2010
Did they really need this one? I was watching it thinking I might have been back in the 50's.
½ May 27, 2010
The Ghoulies are summoned by a professor to combat fraternity prank week on campus. College seems to agree with the Ghoulies as they can now speak. I'd watch this again just to see the Ghoulies discover the loaded beer fridge at the frat house.
½ March 24, 2010
This movie is quite the spectacle. It has a cast full of recognizable names like Jason Scott Lee (Mowgli in Jungle Book), Kevin McCarthy (RJ Fletcher in UHF), Patrick Labyorteaux (Ram in Heathers), Eva La Rue (Natalia in CSI Miami) and 20 year old Matthew Lilard in his first movie. It is also amazing to me that all of these talented actors came together to work for writer director John Carl Beuchler who brought you gems like Troll and The Dungeonmaster. Either way that's all in the past now.

So Ghoulies 3, what is there to say about this ... uh ... film? It's not really a film as much as it is 94 minutes of on-screen magic seen through the eyes of a 12 year old. The very talented Kevin McCarthy plays Professor Ragnar, a crotchety old windbag of a dean who also teaches Humanities. One day he confiscates a comic book which he later reads aloud in his office, thereby conjuring the presence of the Ghoulies. One of whom is voiced by none other than Richard Kind? Really? The guy from Spin City? Anyway Prof Ragnar pits the Ghoulies against the frats during prank week and pretty soon all 2 frats on campus are at each others' throats.

This movie is really really juvenile. Like I said, basically it was made specifically for 12 year old boys. I think the 12 year old in me really liked it. I think the rest of me saw how awful it was. But I have a hard time judging this movie too harshly given the cast, director, and how much freak'n fun they must've had making this thing. This movie is the definition of guilty pleasure and I'm sure that whoever saw this in their youth is forever tainted by its strange allure. I however am not one of those, perhaps lucky, few. Instead I just kept looking away in disgust at the retarded parts, laughing at the stupid parts, and yelling "it's so and so from such and such" for the rest of the movie.

This movie is just too amazing to get anything less than a 2.5 out of 5. You simply don't see movies like this very often. There are good reasons for that but still, it's amazing that it ever was made in the first place. How do you get funding for something like this? How do you get so many great people excited about something like this? Why did this movie only get a region 2 DVD release? How did this pre-pubescent freak show get a sequel? How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop? The world may never know. (I know, it's 3)

If you get a chance to see this, I say watch it. You'll never forget it.
October 29, 2009
The Ghoulies get summoned out of the toilet bowl, this time speaking english and behaving like the Three Stooges. Only they're more annoying then funny. This was an awful college comedy with Ghoulies thrown into it to act like assholes. Blech.
October 4, 2009
really stupid movie but it's a good kind of stupid
CrankyBeast
½ August 1, 2009
We didn't need a 3rd movie.
July 4, 2009
Ghoulies go to college is my favorite movie in the whole world. I give it an excellent review. I bought the collectors edition on Amazon for 77.77 and then I spent 202.22 on a regional 2 DVD Player just to watch it.
I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!
Thanks
Derek Blair

PS Rest in peace Michael Jackson
½ June 22, 2009
Wow, Ghoulies 3: Ghoulies Go to College is a sexual sandwich of hilarity and preposterousness as a loony professor (the great Kevin McCarthy) brings the ghoulies out from the bowels of the toilet bowl and into the local University's frat/sorority houses where students are engaged in an all out prank war to win the coveted prank trophy. Naturally, the Ghoulies (who talk and engage in Loony Tune-style antics) also pull some pranks of their own, causing war amongst the frats to grow. They should have called it Tits-O-Rama, because at 10 years old, I had NEVER seen so many titties bouncing around in my life. Aside from Kevin McCarthy adding a great tongue in cheek, crazy performance, there are some minor roles from the likes of Matthew Lillard (Scooby-Doo, Scream), Jason Scott Lee (Jungle Book, Dragon), Thom Adcox-Hernandez (Popcorn), Billy Morrissette (Severed Ties), Marcia Wallace (Mrs. Krabappel from The Simpsons), and a blink and you'll miss him cameo from then-stunt coordinator Kane Hodder (Jason from several Friday the 13th's, Hatchet, etc) as a college student riding a renegade mop bucket. Honestly, this movie is BEYOND corny and cartoony, but I couldn't help but enjoy it. It was made in 1991, but very much stuck in the 80's mentality. The mass amounts of college stereotypes this film presents are just as hilarious to watch nowadays as they were then. Direction was provided by the infamous John Carl Buechler, whose done many films, whether it be direction or special effects. This is a great popcorn film that needs to be put out on DVD here in the states. Love it.
April 28, 2009
For nostalgic reasons this gets such a high mark. Its incrediby dumb and totally brainless and un-horror movie like. Especially seeing as The Ghoulies have now got voices. But The bad guy from Innerspace is init (hes in loads of other shit too) and it does have some funny moments. Liked it more as a wee child
April 26, 2009
Good fun.
Lots of attractive women which helps.
Keep your eyes peeled for Kane 'The Mack' Hodder too.
February 13, 2009
A bit silly but entertaining for the most part, the ghoulies weren't very threatening but they did manage to kill a few people.
January 31, 2009
a big funny stupid pile of cheese :p
ranked more of a comedy all the way
no horror here
weird how the Ghoulies talked but at least i didn't get to hear any of their annoying shrieks and yells
the part with the professor...a little overboard
this is a stupid funny movie in for some laughs
½ December 29, 2008
I hate scary movies because like duh they suck but I actually <3 this stupid movie.

The beer can mountain and oh, come one, who didn't laugh at the whole...

"Prank week?"