Ghoulies 3: Ghoulies Go to College Reviews

• Gimly M Super Reviewer
    Dec 18, 2019

I'm not sure who decided the titular ghoulies needed an overhaul, but here we are, they talk now. Parodying comedy always seemed like an odd idea to me. I mean, it's already a comedy. Wanna know how to make that idea even more odd? Take your creature-feature horror franchise, and make your third installment a parody of not just any comedy, but of specifically The Three Stooges. That'd be really fuckin' odd. The first movie was no fun, but two movies later and they've already overshot it in the other direction: Ghoulies Go to College is about as silly as a movie gets.

• May 10, 2019

Not good! I watched this film dubbed into German, and I don't even speak German, but regardless, stick with Ghoulies 2, with the carnival park theme, the monster puppeteering seems better. Essentially, this film consists of basic teen comedy pratfalls, a few shots of semi naked women dancing and throwing pillows at each other, an occult plot about the monsters being conjured into existence at a college campus and of course a gag about someone disappearing into a neon green glowing toilet with dry ice billowing forth. Overall, DON'T see films directed by creature puppeteer John Carl Buechler, he's beyond awful. The second one has some campy/silly vibe value though as a B-movie

• Nov 09, 2018

Charles Band's Ghoulies are back and this time they are plopped into an 80s style college sex comedy, meaning imagine if a bunch of Gremlins or Critters were dropped into "Revenge of the Nerds" or "Porky's." Competing frats are vying for the tinfoil crown in their annual prank war, much to the consternation fo uptight professor (and genre icon) Kevin McCarthy ("Invasion of the Body Snatcher" "Piranha" "Innerspace"). McCarthy finds a mysterious comic book and reads cryptic ancient passages from the tome, which unleashed the titular Ghoulies upon the unwitting college students and staff. This entry in the series is sadly missing the stop motion Ghoulies of the first two films, but I did still enjoy the old school puppet effects. The film was also more broadly comedic, particularly in giving the Ghoulies voices so they could deliver cheesy horror themed one-liners. "Ghoulies Go to College" is nothing brilliant, but it makes to pretensions about what it is, so if you enjoy the horror sub genre of little things attacking large things (i.e. everything from "Attack of the Puppet People" to "Troll" to "Puppet Master" to "Child's Play"), which I am most certainly a fan of, you will likely enjoy the silliness of "Ghoulies Go to College," which also feature the film debut of Matthew "Scream" Lillard, and supporting roles by Jason Scott Lee, Marcia Wallace, and Kane Hodder.

• Oct 11, 2016

Bad GREMLINS meets REVENGE OF THE NERDS ripoff. Only worth checking out to see Matthew Lillard, Jason Scott Lee, and Eva La Rue early in their careers.

• Jul 08, 2015

The worst of the original trilogy by far. A little bit of the sex factor that the '80s horror slasher's were known for were brought to this entry in the comedy horror supernatural monster slasher series. It's a weird one folks. Still 1 is easily the best. It was more of a college-era coming of age film with some drama and romance and honestly the ghoulies played a very pointless angle. The flying ghoulie from 2 drops off in this entry unfortunately. What I don't understand about this series is that it seems like they can do whatever they want. I don't know, all their awkward murders were under their own control. I didn't really care for this movie at all. It's heavily censored on TV, if you want to watch it now, see it on Netflix or Amazon.

• May 01, 2015

Nothing more than being funny scary, Ghoulies III: Ghoulies Go To College may be the better entry of the franchise with a somewhat decent plot and some mediocre visual effects.

• Nov 12, 2014

Much better production values than the first two. Better cinematography, better acting, better everything really. The problem is that Ghoulies 3 is very uneven. It does feature death but it's not violent, for the most part the movie seems pretty censored. In fact there is no onscreen blood whatsoever. On the other side of mature content though, explicit nudity and language are featured multiple times throughout the film! It ends of really confusing, almost as if somebody censored the movie partially and then just gave up. This also take some of the fun out of it because, you know, it's supposed to be a horror comedy, not a really bizarre adult flick. That aside the only other noticeable problem is that the Ghoulies talk. I didn't find this funny I found it stupid. Very stupid. On the bright side the characters are like able, the dialog is decent, and the effects aren't any worse than in the others. So its still a lot of fun. 49/100

• Jun 21, 2014

The ghoulies are transformed from a toilet into little green ghouls when a professor reads from a comic book. The mischievous little devils trash campus, inflaming a war between two fraternities. Super-lowbrow humour; sometimes silly, mostly 2nd rate Porky's-type comedy. Starring Kevin McCarthy, but best part may be Eva La Rue!

• Mar 02, 2014

A College professor who rules with an iron fist confiscates a comic book of a stoner who attends his class, and he inadvertently ends up raising the Ghoulies - hilarity and wacky behaviour ensues! Directed by John Carl Buechler of Troll 'Fame;... pure shite but in the most enjoyable way, still better than Twilight.

• Nov 10, 2013

This 1991 movie sequel was trash! The first two movies was really good. However this third sequel was totally different then the first two movies. This movie is more comedy then horror. The 3 little demons are now talking, wearing clothes, eating, drinking beer and acting like the 3 stooges in college!