G.I. Joe: Retaliation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

G.I. Joe: Retaliation Reviews

August 12, 2015
Duke dies in the very beginning- running like a bitch!
August 9, 2015
A rather full on film, and when I say full on, I mean FULL ON! Every part of the film was either action scenes, explosions or fighting, or if it wasn't, then it was building up for it. However the had a bit of an over the top storyline, I mean destroying London, that's not fair, but overall it was a brilliant action film. Emphasis on the action there!
August 9, 2015
Not as cool as the first....
½ August 1, 2015
If you're a fan of say, G.I. Joe, the Transformers trilogy, or even the A-Team, or you like having fun at the movies, you'll go see this.
½ July 31, 2015
If i could give this no stars I would, it is truly awful. The worst thing is that I really enjoyed he first one and this is utter dog shit
½ July 30, 2015
With what could have helped a franchise, this film just proves that Hollywood still has no idea how to handle the G.I. Joe franchise and needs to think twice before trying a third time.
½ July 28, 2015
Much better than the first, but still a far cry from what it could and should be. The Rock and Bruce Willis are welcome additions to the team and the action is still fun. Thankfully there are no super suits.
July 27, 2015
The Real-American hereos are back, well, some of them, well actually, three of them. No Scarlett, No Ripcord, No Hawk, No Baronness, No Destro, and No Joseph Gordon Levitt playing Cobra Commander. Instead, we have Flint, Lady Jaye, Jinx, Roadblock and Bruce Willis. Is this better than the first? No. Is it at least as good as the first? I suppose, but in different ways. The acting was a little better in this one but I found the action to be a little under whelming compared to the first one. Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow were great as usual and The Rock was strong as Roadblock, but Bruce Willis just seemed unnecessary and the sub title was kind of strange, I mean, what exactly are they Retaliating against, they caught Cobra Commander and Destro, so what else is there. I know, it is somewhat explained, albeit very briefly, but overall, not over the top great, but good enough to kill time if that's what you want it to do even if it's not what it's suppose to do. RECOMMENDED for fans of the first film and for some of the good performances.
July 25, 2015
The money was spent, but this film was HORRIBLE!!!

All the potential that they had with the 1st one was completely wasted with the sequel. Don't think there will be a 3rd installment. If there is, count me out...

...or at least I will wait 'til Netflix... Either way, this one was trash.

#YoJoe...
July 21, 2015
Rating: 84%
G.I.: Retaliation almost has everything that the first film doesn't: enjoyable action sequences, a fairly understandable plot, more-than-passable performances from the cast, and characters that are actually pretty fun.
July 20, 2015
Though G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra was no great film, with G.I. Joe: Retaliation bringing in both Dwayne Johnson and Bruce Willis to the cast, I couldn't miss a collaboration between them.

The story in G.I. Joe: Retaliation is a poor one. Though it tries to hide it with the addition of some unconventionally ridiculous plot twists, the entire tale in G.I. Joe: Retaliation is such an obviously predictable one due to its abundance of familiar plot points. Even though G.I. Joe: Retaliation has a story which stretches from the heart of the American government to other countries, the scale of it all feels way too small. G.I. Joe: Retaliation should be a big scale action film, but it is far too obviously rooted in a dull story which puts too much focus on a select group of characters. Though viewers may find particular appeal with some of the cast members, the characters are extremely thinly sketched and in dire need of creativity if they want to actively carry the story anywhere. The dialogue is all cheap talk with the only moments of mild appeal coming from the scenes which try to depict a sense of lighthearted comic energy as that is the one moment where the film stops taking itself so seriously ad attempts to embrace its cheesy premise, but even then the jokes are hardly that funny and there is not nearly enough of them to transcend the rest of the poor writing. However, though the story is poor it is buried so heavily beneath the overwhelming quantity of sub par action.
With a film like G.I. Joe: Retaliation, the ultimate value of the film comes from the quality of its action. One of the ultimate flaws in G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra was its surplus of visual effects which drove the film to pretty much being animated in the sense that it was all extremely obviously visual effects. In G.I. Joe: Retaliation there are still a lot of visual effects, but they are moderated a lot better. There are many practical stunts and effects to depict an improvement over its predecessor, but the action is still poor. The highest quality action scenes are the ones which rely most heavily on visual effects, and even then those scenes seem too much like they came from a video game to grasp the effect of an intended high profile action film. This injects a strong sense of artificiality into the film which may please children but deters adults. The other problem with the action is that the practically staged scenes are just boring. Despite some occasionally mildly appealing choreography, G.I. Joe: Retaliation's action scenes are captured very poorly. The close combat fighting sequences are where this is most notable as the cinematography is too close to capture the action and the editing is excessively quickly. But during most of the action scenes, the opposite is the problem. Many of the action scenes show single shots for too long, therefore depicting characters maintaining their assault without a balanced perspective on how it affects their enemy. Most of the time this is an excess abundance of CGI anyway which is dull enough, but the cinematography can't capture it any better because it just makes the entire experience too obviously blank without ever having the appropriate amount of focused editing moderation, opting instead to focus more on making the experience 3D without any succesful appeal. So without much in the way of genuine action production value, G.I. Joe: Retaliation is ultimately doomed to failure. And there are so many action scenes in the film which all have such little appeal that the manic energy of the experience is bound to wear viewers down.
But I will admit that there was a mild sense of appeal that came from the cast.
Dwayne Johnson is the standout cast member in G.I. Joe: Retaliation. Being one of modern day's most appealing action gimmicks, Dwayne Johnson manages to create a character who is actually worth something in G.I. Joe: Retaliation for the most simplistic purposes. For one thing, he has a very laid back persona during the scenes which do not demand him to pretend that there is any severe drama and is therefore able to create an appealing sense of easygoing chemistry with Channing Tatum in his brief time on screen. But more importantly, he carries this sense of charisma over to the action in the film so that when he is out being trigger-happy and crushing skulls with his bulging muscles you can tell he's having fun in the part. Dwayne Johnson carries extremely well over into G.I. Joe: Retaliation and makes a more charismatic protagonist for the story than it is set up to have.
Bruce Willis is also solid. Though his screen time is very small, the legacy Bruce Willis has for a long line of action films makes him a perfect fit for G.I. Joe: Retaliation. When he enters, he brings along the presence of a true leader because that is his natural persona, even in the face of Dwayne Johnson. Bruce Willis delivers his lines with intense spirit and deadpan comedy while grasping his weapon fearlessly. Bruce Willis' charms are subtle, but they all come naturally to him and stand out among a crowd of characters with few gimmicks to boast about for themselves.
Even RZA is a welcome presence, particularly because of the genuine fact that in real life he's a hip hop music producer and so seeing him play a Morgan Freeman type character like Blind Master is worth at least a laugh.
Unfortunately, too much screen time is given to Ray Park and Adrianne Palicki who have little to offer in the way of genuine charisma and pale in comparison to Dwayne Johnson. Ray Park may have the fight skills and Adrianne Palicki may have the sex appeall, but neither of them have the necesarry characters or charisma.

So G.I. Joe: Retaliation benefits from the presence of Dwayne Johnson and Bruce Willis, but with a predictable story and an excess of overblown yet artificial action scenes it represents only a very slight improvement over its predecessor at best.
½ July 17, 2015
Well, it's a cold-war cartoon, what did you expect? The production values are relatively high, there are explosions alright, the necessary rain of bullets that miss miserably and the ninja swords held like western swords. Well, anyway, the shining teeth of The Rock will remind you what you came to see, so no harm done!
½ July 14, 2015
Although this is a superhero movie, it feels more like an action movie for the first part with an inane storyline. If you can get into fantasy mode though this is blockbuster that just about pleases.
½ July 14, 2015
Good action thriller! Channing Tatum shouldn't of been in the movie lol. Should of been the dude from the crank'd movies!
½ July 9, 2015
Just as good as the first one...which was good.
½ July 7, 2015
The fun simply outweighs the bad.
½ July 4, 2015
No incredibly irritating Christopher Eccleston - what accent was that, shocking poor contribution to this one... less plastic as well but utterly vapid in all too many ways
June 15, 2015
Something just went wrong.
The prequel was already bad, this one was even worse.
The only memorable scene is that ninjas cliff-fighting one.
June 8, 2015
It's overall stupid, but at least the action can kick some big time ass. (B-)
June 3, 2015
It's a fast paced action flick with a Michael Bay like pacing. Explosions and surround blast with insane gun blazing laser sound like and it is ridiculous. Story wise, it is pointless with over the top acting and dialogue. You want some blockbuster extravaganza? Watch this. And oh did I even mention it is a G.I Joe film? Sorry but I didn't feel it that way. More like a different film for me though. For action eye candy, I'll rate it 3 stars.