Gideon's Daughter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gideon's Daughter Reviews

June 12, 2013
"Gideon's Daughter" starts with middle-aged Sneath(Robert Lindsay) in his pajama bottoms welcoming Becca(Samantha Whittaker), a typist, into his apartment so he can transcribe a story that begins on a rainy night in 1997 on a red carpet. Gideon Warner(Bill Nighy) is so huge in public relations that he can send out Andrew(Tom Hardy) to work the floor for him. But not so above it all that he cannot settle a dispute between Dent(Tom Goodman-Hill), an M.P, and a distraught couple(Miranda Richardson & David Westhead). Plus, he also finds the time to watch his daughter Natasha's(Emily Blunt) senior recital which unsettles him so much that he starts pricing family psychologists...

"Gideon's Daughter" is an odd one. Not in a weird way and it has nothing to do with Tom Hardy playing a non-violent character, either. No, it is a movie that cannot truly decide what kind of movie it wants to be, leading it to head in two equally opposite directions at once. On the one hand, all of the major characters are dealing with some kind of loss in their lives, with a national mourning serving as the background. And for some that might also belong in the arena of ridiculousness(along with the Millenium Dome) that was established in its framing sequence. That's not to mention an emotional climax that is more quirky than anything resembling heartfelt.
June 24, 2012
An adorable drama with my big favorites Bill Nighy and Emily Blunt. Not sure I liked the open ending but all things considered it does make sense. Now I want to see the "Friends and Crocodiles"...
February 15, 2012
A beautiful and maybe even haunting portrait of a father's relationship (or lack of one) with his daughter.
May 2, 2011
My favourite TV drama, Poliakoff proves that he can make effective drama out of real events (in this case, the death of Diana). Nighy is brilliant as Gideon, drawing a fine line beetween ignorance (Gideon's) and comedy. Richardson proves she can act, stepping out of the Blackadder mainstream to create a much more memorable and sympathetic character. But it is Robert Lindsay's return as William Sneath that is most memorable, as an effective story teller Lindsay keeps the fine balance of comedy within the tragedy of the drama. But the best aspect of the film, better even than Lindsay, is Gideon's heartfelt journey to make amends with his daughter.
April 11, 2011
loved it! Emily was superb, a well deserved golden globe :)
November 28, 2010
I came for Bill Nighy; I stayed for Emily Blunt. About fifteen minutes into the film, Blunt's character sings a song, "Papa," that captivates everyone - the audience on screen, including her father, and the film's audience (and if anyone in the internet ether can get me an MP3 of this song, I'd be grateful). The song is stunningly beautiful in its melody, lyrics, and mysteriousness. Even at the end of the film, we're not entirely sure what she meant or even if she meant anything at all, but the memory of that performance propels the film along.
It is the story of a British PR man who has lost interest in his work and lost the ability to connect with his daughter, the only person with whom he desires any relationship. The film is essentially a character study, but it rises above a mere presentation of people to an area of profundity that can only be compared to An Accidental Tourist. It becomes about parents and children, the pain of letting go after life and death advance and the stark, unfortunate realization that children will never love their parents as much as parents love their children.
With strong, understated performances by Nighy and Miranda Richardson, Gideon's Daughter is a gem not to be missed.
October 24, 2010
There is something naturally beautiful about Gideon's Daughter, directed by Polikoff. The love you have for someone can be more than just obsessive, in fact it can be just the reason you keep living, even though it will always be painful. Subtle, charming and beautiful film with lairs of depth that some you have to figure them out yourselves.
High notes -
Dr - Stephen Poliakoff
Ac - Bill Nighy, Miranda Richards.
½ September 7, 2010
I saw this a few years ago and telly and now I watched it again. Such a beautifully written and shot movie. Every scene seems to be in their right place and every actor doing a good job. It's about loss, and growing up, and letting go - not told with clich├ęs, but with a rather simple integrity.
½ April 24, 2010
This movie should never have wone a golden globe - it is almsot unwatchable - the biggest single problem is at the critical moments of dialogue, the director raises the volume of music so you have to strain to hear and almost always miss a few words. Also the lead character is not believable. Good idea but the directing ruined it - a waste of 104 minutes.
August 23, 2009
Well acted by a fine cast including Bill Nighy, Miranda Richardson and Emily Blunt, ths is a touching drama showing the bond between father and daughter. Nighy gives another great performance playing a PR guru who starts to truily think about life and his relationships when his daughter (Blunt) decides she wants to travel. Seeking solace with a mother (Richardson) who has recently lost her young son, he begins to truly value life.
½ June 22, 2009
Tears mixed with goose bumps. Sweet movie about a father's love for his daughter. Bill Nighy and Miranda Richardson, great as ever.
½ May 5, 2009
Wow! I don't even know how to put it into words. This movie moved me deeply. I had checked the DVD out from the library, & I almost didn't watch it because I wasn't even sure what it was about or if it would be interesting. I'd only gotten it because Emily Blunt was in it. I'm SO glad I decided to watch it and see what it was about. It's an amazing, beautiful film, beautifully narrated & acted. It's the type of movie that leaves me feeling hopeful and inspired afterward.
April 10, 2009
Amazing how the imagination can actually capture what's really going on in the world as though Poliakoff has been there before, this isn't a fantasy. Real life experience for many who can relate to.
½ February 9, 2009
Really good different "love - family - life" story ... !
December 15, 2008
no thanks not my thing
½ November 20, 2008
Terrific story of loss, obsessive love, letting go, and starting over. Marvelous acting and a great script made this a real slice of life. Miranda Richardson plays Stella, a woman who lost her young son in a tragic accident, and she has never looked more beautiful. She demostrates the difference between a British actor and an American star. The actor does not hide nor try to reverse the effects of the aging process, while their American counterpart tries to hang on to youth at all costs. She may be older, but her beauty radiates from within. She was totally believable as the woman trying to cope with an unimaginable loss. Bill Nighy, was Gideon, a very successful PR man, sought after by the rich and powerful, who finds himself unexplicably drawn to working-class Stella. Meanwhile, he feels he is losing his daughter, Natasha, played by the gorgeous Emily Blount, as she finishes her A levels (high school) and prepares to move on to the next stage of her life. The struggle between the young woman trying to establish her independence and the father who has already lost his wife and fears losing his daughter as well brought a heightened level of angst into the mix. The only thing that kept this viewer from giving it five stars is the annoying way that the story is narrated by an author to an amanuensis. (Do they use them anymore, really?) The why of that device is explained in the closing frames, but left this viewer unsatisfied. It seems it would have been a stronger tale if told more directly. But, definitely, time well spent.
November 16, 2008
A lovely film. And not just coz Bill Nighy is a dude.
½ November 16, 2008
Absolutely brilliant! From writing through to direction and performances, Gideon's Daughter is what good television should be... intelligent, moving, funny and entrancing, with a fabulous sense of period the icing on the cake.
½ November 3, 2008
A beautiful drama by Poliakoff and excellent performances by the actors. This is an intiguing film representing real life people in real life scenarios. absolutely lovely.
½ July 15, 2008
Great acting... the plot is terribly slow.